DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro footage, is this normal? Can it be fixed in post?

sbishop1488

Reactions
Hi,

I've not completed many flights yet but I've noticed something with the footage which is like a shimmering on grass etc, I saw this on the Phantom 3 Standard as well but didn't pay much attention since I was only using it for photography.

I have it on 4K, 30fps, although I tried the 4K setting below first, I have NTSC set, although I live in the UK, i.e. PAL, I typically only use footage on my MacBook and don't think this should be an issue and would prefer the higher FPS.

I've tried a few free/demo apps from the Mac Store and none have removed this.

Has anyone else experienced this? And is there a post fix?

Many thanks
Bish

Are you using ND filters to keep your shutter speed at fps x 2? When you shoot at too high a shutter speed to get proper exposure it can give everything a hyper-sharpened look that does not look natural, and it's often seen on grass, trees and other repeating patterns. If you aren't using a ND filter shooting in sunny conditions I would advise you try that first.

-Joe

Last edited:
Reactions: Phlier and sonof40
Thanks...

I'm not using ND filters at the moment, just a cheap UV filter to protect the lens. I'm a photographer and have therefore used ND filters before and see they sell them at different stops but I'm wondering how out in the field you can determined which one to use to achieve that?

Thanks...

I'm not using ND filters at the moment, just a cheap UV filter to protect the lens. I'm a photographer and have therefore used ND filters before and see they sell them at different stops but I'm wondering how out in the field you can determined which one to use to achieve that?
For a sunny day and in CA it's just about always sunny I keep a ND16 on the bird at most times. ND32 and ND8 are useful as well at times. If you want to smooth out the footage and are shooting at 30 frames you may want to try a shutter setting at 60 and see if you like the output.

Reactions: Phlier
The above advise (ND16: Sunny day - etc.) is quite right, but to determine it precisely
- read your shutter speed when correct exposure is acquired by Auto Exposure.
Than choose the "right" ND which will make your shutter speed twice the framerate actually used.

Knowing that:
ND 4 = two stop reduction
ND 8 = three stops reduction
ND 16 = four stops
ND 32 = five stops

- you can calculate it in your head, but there is handy app
that will calculate it for you
Filter Calculator - Android Apps on Google Play
Than put chosen filter on and switch to Manual exposure.

Last edited:
Reactions: gxmech
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent