DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro gimbal issue. Please help!

Ian_1424

Reactions
Problem? Gimbal overload message

Was unit in a crash? yes, it nicked a tree

What have you tried so far? I've tried calibrating the gimbal, replacing the ribbon cable, and replacing the whole gimbal arm and motors. Nothing worked

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Galaxy S10e

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest firmware as of November 2nd 2019

What Go app version are you using? v4.3.25

Any modification?
(if so what) none

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) no

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)

I started to have the gimbal overload problem with my Mavic Pro Platinum this August after I took it on a bike touring trip. I've not crashed it at any point, but it could have been knocked around a bit in my bike's pannier during the trip. It was intermittent at first but got steadily worse. I finally sent it to DJI repair shop here in Canada. They were going to replace the camera and gimbal but upon disassembly discovered that it was more likely something in the main processing infrastructure. It's now on its way to central DJI repair. We will see what they come back with.

It's been a great and reliable piece of equipment up to that point.

Probably broke the flat gimbal control ribbon cable. Is it still under warranty? If not:
Here's a video showing how to fix it:

Or you can send it to DJI for a couple months and ~$400

Yes the drone is still covered under warranty. I looked at the flight record and it was obvious that if wasn't my fault. I sent if to DJI to see of they would replace it under warranty but no luck. I had them send it back to me and I replaced the whole gimbal motor arm along with the flat ribbon cable, but tthat didn't work.

Did you also replace the circuit board on top of the gimbal? It could have been damaged in the crash. I have 2 M1P's now with this issue, I'm going to replace the gimbals and both cables as soon as the parts arrive. So I won't know the answer until Monday/Tuesday, but will post the results here.
Please let me know if you find a solution. Good LUCK! ;)

Update:
I have 2 M1P's that I'm repairing. The new gimbal w/cables fixed one of them, the other, not so much.
I checked the board on top of the gimbal and found that the lower right cable socket had one broken connector in the top right side (see 1st picture, look closely). I knew I had another spare from a parts drone, but it also had 2 broken connectors on the same place (see 2nd picture). So I checked the cables that plug into this port and they appear good. I will now look for this every time I have this symptom.
I took the complete working gimbal/camera assembly from the other working M1P and put it in this drone, just as before, the gimbal didn't move, no video and no gimbal icon shows in the DJI Go 4 app. The drone fly's perfectly, just no recognition of the gimbal at all. I have no errors in the app (probably because it doesn't see the gimbal at all). I also replaced the bottom board that the gimbal cables plug into, but there was no change. That only leaves the ESC board, but I don't see ant ESC errors/warnings in the app and the drone flies fine with no errors. It just doesn't see the gimbal at all.
As an FYI, I took the gimbal that isn't seen in this M1P and installed it in the other working M1P and it works fine, except the camera won't focus (ordered a replacement camera).
So anyone who has seen this before and fixed it, please let me know what it took to fix it. Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20191120_113912471.jpg
    IMG_20191120_113912471.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 66
  • IMG_20191120_114118042.jpg
    IMG_20191120_114118042.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 67
looks like you have 2 broken pins on the gimbal board

possible fixes

1. use a hot air station w/ microscope and magnifying glass, take the pin off the spare and install
2. just replace board as there still may be some shorts even if you repair the pins
let us know if this works

looks like you have 2 broken pins on the gimbal board

possible fixes

1. use a hot air station w/ microscope and magnifying glass, take the pin off the spare and install
2. just replace board as there still may be some shorts even if you repair the pins
let us know if this works
Thanks for the response. I know the boards pictured have broken pins, so I have ordered replacement boards. I provided the picture to show the problem to others who may not have checked for this issue.
What I really need help with is the M1P where a known working gimbal assy does nothing when installed in the drone. It isn't even recognized by the software as being there. Not even the gimbal Icon shows up in the Go 4 app? Have you ever seen that before? Do you know how to fix it?

SOLVED!!
Removed the board where the battery plugs in, there's a very thin, flat copper inlay that powers the gimbal. It was torn. Soldered the 2 pieces together wiith a thin solder joint, covered with silicone, allowed to dry, replaced the board, Wallah! Working gimbal!

Reactions: DDS
SOLVED!!
Removed the board where the battery plugs in, there's a very thin, flat copper inlay that powers the gimbal. It was torn. Soldered the 2 pieces together wiith a thin solder joint, covered with silicone, allowed to dry, replaced the board, Wallah! Working gimbal!

hi, where did you get the gimbal boards from. I’m in Australia and they are very expensive here, so was hoping to pick them up cheaper somewhere else As I am pretty sure I need one.

hi, where did you get the gimbal boards from. I’m in Australia and they are very expensive here, so was hoping to pick them up cheaper somewhere else As I am pretty sure I need one.
MidCity Hobby on eBay. ✔Genuine DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal/Camera/Forward Sensor Control Board | eBay
OR

MidCity Hobby on eBay. ✔Genuine DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal/Camera/Forward Sensor Control Board | eBay
OR
Hi, thanks for this, but the ebay link looks like it goes to the gimbal vibration plate and not the gimbal board. i was after the gimbal board as in your pictures in the first post. Btw, what have you done with the old board. I’d love to pull the ribbon cable pin off it. Mine needs to be replaced but I think all these pins must be propriety and not easily found.

Hi, thanks for this, but the ebay link looks like it goes to the gimbal vibration plate and not the gimbal board. i was after the gimbal board as in your pictures in the first post. Btw, what have you done with the old board. I’d love to pull the ribbon cable pin off it. Mine needs to be replaced but I think all these pins must be propriety and not easily found.
The 1st link in the post is for the gimbal board. ✔Genuine DJI Mavic Pro Gimbal/Camera/Forward Sensor Control Board | eBay
I threw the old board out because the connector pins are NOT repairable.
Not sure what you are referring to "pull the ribbon cable pin off it"

Gimbal Board-Pro.JPG
Here's a screenshot of the Gimbal Board on eBay.com as shown in the link provided. This is a great seller, I buy many parts from him, he also ships internationally. ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS