DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro in Cold Weather

Wonder if those iron oxide hand warmers could be duct taped to the battery to keep it warm in sub-zero temps or if it is TOO hot?
(I mean while flying)

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots
You only need to do that if it's extreme cold, and maybe not at all with the Mavic batteries which are housed in a plastic container that probably helps retain some heat (battery heats up on its own in flight) . Anyway, there are adhesive toe and hand warmers you can use, so no need to duct tape them on. I've used them on older diy quads which use "naked" lipos.

Agree with many others... I've flown plenty of times down to about 0 degrees F with no problems with the bird except for one time where I had my spare battery sitting in the cold for 15 minutes before trying to fly (Warned me battery temp was too low; keep your batteries warm before hand and then once you're flying they'll stay warm no problem).

Now my iPhone and hands on the other hand don't do so well when flying in that temperature lol. I would suggest a fully charged phone battery and possibly taping a hand warmer to it in order to keep it from drying early. Warm gloves are also a must.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

There's your problem right there. 64GB is the max. At least that's what I thought I read in the manual.
I definitely remember that from the manual as well. Although I have no idea if it's related to your issue. Maybe try a 64gb card though.

We used it for three weeks in Iceland December-January, in temperatures well below zero, over glaciers. We had some start up issues until we put the batteries in socks and attached hand warmers to them until we needed them. Battery life was somewhat shorter, but not a great deal, and the cold seems to have had no lasting impact.

As Mcjoshin stated your device is much more susceptible to dying in the cold than your Mavic battery. I made the mistake last week of going to fly without fully charging my iPad mini 4. It was about minus 4F and the iPad was at 61% when I left the truck, midway through my 2nd flight I happened to check and it was at 3%. Was able to get the bird back before it died. Later that day went back out with it at 100% and it had warmed up to about 20F. 4 flights and the batt was at 60% when I packed up.

The fingers are another story when it's below zero. I still can't fly with gloves, fingerless gloves help but after 4 batts I'm about done! Luckily that's all the batts I have.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom