DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro or Phantom 4 Pro?

Props are cheap. If I hit something, damage to the props is the least of my concerns. As to installation...I can't see, for me, any value in saving the amount of time that it takes to put props on. It makes sense on a foldable, carry-with-you drone, but so far I can't even see a good reason, for me, to get a back-packable drone at all, let alone worry about foldable props.

Props are cheap. If I hit something, damage to the props is the least of my concerns. As to installation...I can't see, for me, any value in saving the amount of time that it takes to put props on. It makes sense on a foldable, carry-with-you drone, but so far I can't even see a good reason, for me, to get a back-packable drone at all, let alone worry about foldable props.
A mid air strike will most likely strip or fracture the propeller assembly on a P4P. Crash... The Mavic on the other hand recovers nicely from mid air strikes to the propellers. The only reason to stay with rigid fixed props is slightly better flight characteristics.

A mid air strike will most likely strip or fracture the propeller assembly on a P4P. Crash... The Mavic on the other hand recovers nicely from mid air strikes to the propellers. The only reason to stay with rigid fixed props is slightly better flight characteristics.

Not true at all. If those foldable props on the Mavic hit something, they will shatter. And that hinge pin is a weak point. The full weight of the drone and the full thrust of the motors has to be carried by that small hinge pin/screw. A solid prop is more reliable in this respect for obvious reasons.

Lol. Of course, but like I stated, damage to the Mavic and surroundings will be less than a P4P.

Ah, not true at all. In fact, completely false. If those foldable props on the Mavic hit something, they will shatter. And that hinge pin is a weak point. The full weight of the drone and the full thrust of the motors has to be carried by that small hinge pin/screw. A solid prop is more reliable in this respect for obvious reasons.

With 2 hinge pins per prop, the Mavic has 8 extra points of failure that can lead to a catastrophic crash.

P4P makes the Mavic look like a toy. The P4P camera is a game changer. Same with all those sensors. Thank you DJI for delaying the release of the Mavic.

The mavic has technology based on the phantom line of drones, so it definitely isnt a toy. When the phantom line was introduced, particularly the p3pro, it was also a game changer as well. DJI's marketing team came up with all sorts of videos and had people who are professionals in their field to showcase their equipment(particularly photographers and videographers).

Just like everything, if it was good when it was released, it doesnt suddenly become lousy when an improved model is released. Of course if you want to compare the 1" sensor to the small sensor of the mavic, you could say it is "better".

But what is "better" really? Does having a 1" sensor automatically make you a better photographer? The p3pro was good, the p4 was good, and the mavic is good. The p4p is better, but that doesnt mean its existence suddenly makes the preceding models lousier.

At the end of the day, its how you use your equipment. I do a little photography on the side and people always ask me what camera to buy. And they always want a camera that "takes great pictures". In the hands of a professional, a compact may suffice for even the most demanding shots. In the hands of inexperienced individuals, shooting with a pro level DSLR may not yield results worth a second look.

So enough already about which is better. If the thing wasnt good in the first place, why would it be released by the company and so well received previously?

Not true at all. If those foldable props on the Mavic hit something, they will shatter. And that hinge pin is a weak point. The full weight of the drone and the full thrust of the motors has to be carried by that small hinge pin/screw. A solid prop is more reliable in this respect for obvious reasons.
Lol, obviously you haven't seen all the Mavic torture videos, especially the one hitting a concrete wall, or the one where random items are being thrown directly at the blades The Mavic shakes it off and recovers mid air like a boss.

Lol, obviously you haven't seen all the Mavic torture videos, especially the one hitting a concrete wall, or the one where random items are being thrown directly at the blades The Mavic shakes it off and recovers mid air like a boss.

Gotchya. Yes, that was good.

If the Mavic is so say now a "toy/casual use/occasional use/etc etc" drone, then why force us the tap to focus system? Surely the occasional, fun, casual user would prefer a no hassle "point and fly" as it were without all the focusing malarkey. The Mavic for me (if they ever actually become available!) would be just that, a quick fun way to get a camera in the sky and even though I dabble a little in photography I'd still prefer the Mavic to have and infinity focus as per P4.

No, it It does not look awesome.

It looks the same as the others Phantoms, 1 of the reasons I've always been on the verge to buy one but never did:

They look like a flying stool.

MK

Reactions: kmaluo and Rip
The Mavic obviously isn't a toy. It's a drone with a different emphasis...portability..that does adequate imaging. That portability is really important to some people, no question, and was a brilliant marketing move by DJI. Other people don't need the portability and would rather have a flying stool that takes excellent videos and still images. All about trade-offs. Each to their own.

The mavic pro camera is better than a cellphone guys ... it shoots full 1080 at 24 which is what I'd be shooting if I had a dslr up in the sky... remember all social media etc limits out @ 1080 ... hardly any people own 4K display anyways... get good at ur editing software and the differences would be minimal unless you're flying i2 or matrice w true dslr ... bottom line mavic pro is a bada$$ drone for the money and after having climbed a mountain with the phantom on my back I will say that that in itself beats P4P imo. However the camera in P4p is epic..,, so I got both .., doubtful mavic pro will have another version ... doesn't make sense w p4p release

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

The mavic pro camera is better than a cellphone guys ... it shoots full 1080 at 24 which is what I'd be shooting if I had a dslr up in the sky... remember all social media etc limits out @ 1080 ... hardly any people own 4K display anyways... get good at ur editing software and the differences would be minimal unless you're flying i2 or matrice w true dslr ... bottom line mavic pro is a bada$$ drone for the money and after having climbed a mountain with the phantom on my back I will say that that in itself beats P4P imo. However the camera in P4p is epic..,, so I got both .., doubtful mavic pro will have another version ... doesn't make sense w p4p release

Many new smartphones record at 4K 30fps. Early next year they will be at 60fps. And of course there will be a Mavic 2, the portability and durability are truly revolutionary. The Mavic has traveled with me at least 10x more than my Phantom has just because of the size factor.

I agree....the P4P shows that better camera comes along with larger size. Unlikely that future Mavic generations will be designed to keep up with the Phantom series since doing so would defeat the purpose of the Mavic in the first place...size and portability.

The P4P clearly defines the roles of Mavic line vs Phantom line going into the future....portability vs photography.

Where are those guys that said that the Mavic was replacing the Phantom and that the P4 was the last Phantom?

Ah, not true at all. In fact, completely false. If those foldable props on the Mavic hit something, they will shatter. And that hinge pin is a weak point. The full weight of the drone and the full thrust of the motors has to be carried by that small hinge pin/screw. A solid prop is more reliable in this respect for obvious reasons.

With 2 hinge pins per prop, the Mavic has 8 extra points of failure that can lead to a catastrophic crash.

Just a small correction: a hinge is not a point of failure. Not from a design or engineering perspective, where you'd consider the whole structure for the specified load bearing capacity. In other words, it is not necessarily a weak point, or weaker than any other point of the same structure it belongs to.

That said, I'd assume the Mavic prop is at least as reliable as the Phantom or Inspire ones, both for flying and impact resistance.

Just a small correction: a hinge is not a point of failure. Not from a design or engineering perspective, where you'd consider the whole structure for the specified load bearing capacity. In other words, it is not necessarily a weak point, or weaker than any other point of the same structure it belongs to.

That said, I'd assume the Mavic prop is at least as reliable as the Phantom or Inspire ones, both for flying and impact resistance.

I fly RC planes and some of my planes have folding props with hinges. Prop failure for me has always been at the hinge. The attached photo shows what can happen under high loads.

Luckily with a plane, you can easily dead stick the plane back to earth.

Attachments

• Prop failure.jpg
    Prop failure.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 43
Sure, it can and do fail what I meant was that hinges aren't inherently weak, or weaker than any other part of a structure. It all comes down to design and of course construction. But yes, they do fail and some designs are more prone to failure on some parts.

That broken hinge looks like a toy compared to the Mavic ones.. they are way thicker around the hinge. I'd bet if you pull on one from both ends of the propellor it would break somewhere else first, probably just where it necks down from the thicker material for the hinge to the thinner material for the blade, not at the hinge..

Reactions: kmaluo
That broken hinge looks like a toy compared to the Mavic ones.. they are way thicker around the hinge. I'd bet if you pull on one from both ends of the propellor it would break somewhere else first, probably just where it necks down from the thicker material for the hinge to the thinner material for the blade, not at the hinge..

Here is video of a folding prop breaking. This prop is a lot more robust than the one that comes on a Mavic. I have never seen a solid prop break in flight. But common on hinged props.

Yup, simple physics of the propellers dictate that a P4P will cause much more damage to itself and others vs the Mavic.

Unlikely, the P4 is one tough cookie. I drove her straight into a brick wall and she fell about 5 feet. The props took most of the hit leaving the body and gimbal unharmed. Now if I accidentally did that with my mavic with the front mount gimbal, there would be more damage.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000