DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic pro or platinum? First time buyer.

tjadvtx

Reactions
Hey fellas,

I was going to buy a mavic pro until I discovered the platinum would be out soon. Should I wait for the platinum to come out, or wait for the mavic pro to go on sale?

Do you think the mavic pro will be discounted soon? I've been itching to get one of these for a while, but will wait if I can save some money on it.

What would you guys do?

I wouldn't wait for the platinum as you should be able to find better deals on the Mavic Pro. You can always upgrade the props in the future, and then you're not a beta tester of the new ESCs. The battery life is already more than enough for me but I will try the new props for the lessened noise, but I definitely wouldn't want to be without a Mavic just to wait for the platinum. Buy now and fly as much as possible!

-Joe

Pay $100.00 bucks more and get the newer Platinum, why not.

I'd get the current one. IMO the slight changes aren't really worth the extra money.

For the cost difference I'd get a camera bag if you don't already have one, and a couple sets of the new style propellers when they come out. These props shouldn't cost much and the current presumption is that they are responsible for half or so of the improvements (which again are only slight).

Hey fellas,

I was going to buy a mavic pro until I discovered the platinum would be out soon. Should I wait for the platinum to come out, or wait for the mavic pro to go on sale?

Do you think the mavic pro will be discounted soon? I've been itching to get one of these for a while, but will wait if I can save some money on it.

What would you guys do?

Depend on how anxious you are the have a MP, I myself would go for the MP instead of waiting for the MPP, plus the advantages of the MPP are little more than MP, most people are anxious for the new props to come out as this seems the be the biggest advantage ( if they are actually quieter ) I would save the $100 and spend the $20 for the new and improved props when they are available.

Once the platinum starts to ship, the current model will start being steeply discounted. Get that and save some real money, then take a bit of your savings and order a set of the new props if you wish.

Additionally, we don't know yet if DJI has reworked the firmware to lock owners out of being able to manage the drone they bought in the way they prefer. If that happens, prices of the current model will likely start to rise.

Reactions: Robbyg and scooot
If I were you, I'd see if I can find a discounted Mavic Pro. The Platinum version, although it looks cool, doesn't seem to bring any major features. Like some posted above, the biggest sale point is going to be how quiet it is and it seems like that relies more on the props which will be around $10-$20.

Other than that, the 3 min flight different from 27m with the regular MP and 30m with the Platinum edition isn't really all that important. Especially if you end up getting extra batteries.

Do you think you can downgrade firmware back to .400 on the platinum???
Considering the Mavic Pro Platinum comes with upgraded ESCs (and maybe other components?), I'm guessing we'll see new firmware that's only compatible with the Platinum. If that's the case, there certainly will be no .400 version.

Reactions: Robbyg
Pay $100.00 bucks more and get the newer Platinum, why not.
Because you're wasting $100 on negligible benefits.

Buy the Mavic Pro, then spend the $100 savings on an extra battery. You can always buy a new set of props for $20 if the turn out to be decent.

Reactions: Flycaster
As you all know waiting sucks. I do not want to get the MP this week just to have it discounted when the MPP starts shipping. I'm trying to save as much money as possible because this is a big purchase for me.

Does anyone know of any sales coming up?

As you all know waiting sucks. I do not want to get the MP this week just to have it discounted when the MPP starts shipping. I'm trying to save as much money as possible because this is a big purchase for me.

Does anyone know of any sales coming up?

There may never be a sale!
I agree with msinger that the firmware is most likely not compatible with the MP. I also think that the MPP will have forced updates like the DJI Spark. If all of this is true then I suspect DJI will discontinue making the MP and the price on the original might actually go up because it's an open system.

Rob

If you have a credit card that has price protection benefits like Discover, buy it now with that card then if the price drops in the next 90 days file a claim with the card to get the additional discount. I just bought my Mavic Pro a couple weeks ago using my Discover and intend to use the price protection if the price drops.

Reactions: tjadvtx
I think it's more than just flight time. For me personally I don't need any additional flight time as the time I get from one battery is plenty and I have six batteries in total. It goes more to if someone does not already have the MP then the MPP is an option and before long will be the only option as it looks like dji has EOL'd the MP. Buying in at the latest most upgraded model has it's benefits (drawbacks as well). If there are any camera/recording benefits to be had (rumored 1080/60 fixed) for me it would be worth the extra $. I picked up a p4p last week just to get a little better glass. I have a "within return period" MP that I was thinking about returning for the MPP but instead am keeping it because it is known good. I placed an order for the MPP yesterday - will see how it is when it arrives end Sep/early Oct.

Back to the OP's q - if it were me I'd wait a few weeks to see what if any improvements were made and then buy accordingly.

I agree that $100 would be better spent on a carry bag or 2nd battery (if you're don't buy the kit with an extra battery for $300 more). if you're not in a hurry you can wait and see if the price on the current Mavic drops. I bought mine (the basic version with a carry case for the Mavic on eBay from an established seller for $969. Apparently the only significant difference with the platinum is the propellers which will be available soon supposedly.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13