DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Spiraled out of the sky!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It does seem like some impact from the right could have started this. The 2 g acceleration occurred 100 ms before the motor data started changing.

As for the unusual motor data one possibility is that both of the front props were affected. The image in #21 shows a CCW and CW prop being damaged. Each side of the MP (front, right, back, left) has a CCW/CCW pair. The motorCommanded data shows both front motors (black and blue plots) being commanded higher. That's consistent with both front props being damaged.
View attachment 79090

Assuming that it was the front two props the leftFront appears to have been the most damaged. This is consistent with the CW rotations.

Normally we see faster rotations and more tumbling. It's a little hard to tell but it seems that after the initial end over end tumble the MP stayed upright (barely) and managed to descend rotating relatively slowly without tumbling. Although two props were affected the resulting flight characteristics could have been easier to manage. The net angular momentum was smaller than just on prop being lost, and the propulsion loss wasn't confined to just one corner.
Did I hit a bird or bat? Thank you for your help as I am afraid to fly this thing again.

Yep.. Same thing happened to me. I was using counterfeit blades that I didn't know were fake. $420 (new camera and two new legs later). The prop broke at the hub, losing half of the propeller. Now I fly Master Airscrew props 100%. I feel they're MUCH sturdier than OEM, more efficient, and quieter. My RPMs fell by 75 to 100 with them. Less stress on the engines, less vortex drag, etc. They are the same price as OEM.
Mine didn't break at the hub, they were all attached. I did notice one prop broke off near the hub.

That is a little troublesome. For an AC moving at 17 m/sec it's more likely that it ran into something than something ran into it from the side. But, the 2 g acceleration came before the motor data changes. Would be nicer if the acceleration were on the X axis.
Any Ideas on what happened to my poor drone? I sure do appreciate the insight!

Are the props you show in the picture in post #21 from the actual crashed Mavic?
If so, it seems like the CW prop came apart in the air and the CCW (bent) one got damaged on impact.
Yes, those are the actual props from the accident.

Does any of the data suggest there is a problem with my drone? A bad motor? A bad circuit board? Or did I just win the unlucky lottery? With help from Amazon Prime and a soldering iron I have it like new again. I test flew it breifly last night, but I am afraid to use it any further. Thank you all for your help.

Looks and flies like new, I'm just a little worried about flying it. I wish I had a picture of the mess it was in a week ago but I was to depressed to take a picture.

Attachments

• Mavic fixed.jpg
    Mavic fixed.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 40
Does any of the data suggest there is a problem with my drone? A bad motor? A bad circuit board? Or did I just win the unlucky lottery?

Hey man, you posted ten times in a row - people will be less likely to miss info if you can condense it into one post.
Anyway it looks to me like the unlucky lottery on this one.
You have nothing to lose with a little hovering over some soft grass. I mean, you spent the cash to fix it - might as well fly it!
But you never told us, what did you replace and from what Amazon vendor?

Reactions: MN_Jack76
Hey man, you posted ten times in a row - people will be less likely to miss info if you can condense it into one post.
Anyway it looks to me like the unlucky lottery on this one.
You have nothing to lose with a little hovering over some soft grass. I mean, you spent the cash to fix it - might as well fly it!
But you never told us, what did you replace and from what Amazon vendor?
I apologize as I do not know how to use this website. I replaced the blades, the left back arm and camera from DJI parts. I bought a certified DJI open box battery. I just flew it again tonight and the camera works perfect. I also flew it in sport mode over the park by my location many times and it flew perfect.

Reactions: Kazzaaz
I apologize as I do not know how to use this website. I replaced the blades, the left back arm and camera from DJI parts. I bought a certified DJI open box battery. I just flew it again tonight and the camera works perfect. I also flew it in sport mode over the park by my location many times and it flew perfect.
The vendors were: BEYONDSKY , Y-LiTrendy , FlySafe CR & iGears-Store

I apologize as I do not know how to use this website.

No problem, I am selfish and lazy about the calories I spend moving my scroll wheel ;)

I replaced the blades, the left back arm and camera from DJI parts. I bought a certified DJI open box battery. I just flew it again tonight and the camera works perfect. I also flew it in sport mode over the park by my location many times and it flew perfect.

Congrats on what sounds like a successful repair!

Did I hit a bird or bat? Thank you for your help as I am afraid to fly this thing again.
Congrats on your successful repair. One way to overcome a reluctance to fly is to remember that you fixed it once, you can do it again if needed. Of course fly conservatively for a couple of flights any repairs.

edit to add: I've collided w/a bird in manned aircraft late at night several thousands of feet up. All the others night time collisions were at lower altitudes. It happens.

Last edited:
God Bless and thank you all that looked at the data. I think I just have to chalk this one up to it had information on the Clinton's. Safe flying friends!

• Haha
Reactions: Kazzaaz
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31