DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro "sticky" motor

Per my earlier posts I have checked all the props I have ever replaced, I kept them all, and no lugs are missing.
My location is Missouri, USA.
Sorry my photography is not up to your standards, I am not a professional photographer, but I can see the motor coils very clearly on the picture I can see in the post. The coils are definitely disfigured and damaged.
I might order a motor/arm assy just to have it on standby encase the drone starts to act up later.
I believe the problem has been accurately diagnosed as a broken off plastic prop lug. But how it got there will remain a mystery.
This problem has been "resolved" stay tuned for my next crisis. Cheers!

Myself I'd probably use a little bit of my wife's clear nail polish or like to lightly touch up the coating on those windings where needed, just a very light coat to help keep any moisture out.

Give the prop mount a good inspection under magnifying glass (looks fine what can see in your photos, can't see both sides), make sure nothing is missing and zero cracks, replace any iffy props and put it back in service.
Doubt that little chunk of plastic did anything to it, for the most part it is protected by the motors top plate.

And of course an close inspection next few flights to make sure all is as it should be, but do that anyway!

Myself I'd probably use a little bit of my wife's clear nail polish or like to lightly touch up the coating on those windings where needed, just a very light coat to help keep any moisture out.

Give the prop mount a good inspection under magnifying glass (looks fine what can see in your photos, can't see both sides), make sure nothing is missing and zero cracks, replace any iffy props and put it back in service.
Doubt that little chunk of plastic did anything to it, for the most part it is protected by the motors top plate.

And of course an close inspection next few flights to make sure all is as it should be, but do that anyway!
I wouldn't worry about the extra coating- the windings are copper so any corrosion will be negligible and of no consequence. Inter-winding short or open circuit are the real dangers, neither of which might be negated to any appreciable extent (if at all) by application of any further coating at this point.

Per my earlier posts I have checked all the props I have ever replaced, I kept them all, and no lugs are missing.
My location is Missouri, USA.
Sorry my photography is not up to your standards, I am not a professional photographer, but I can see the motor coils very clearly on the picture I can see in the post. The coils are definitely disfigured and damaged.
I might order a motor/arm assy just to have it on standby encase the drone starts to act up later.
I believe the problem has been accurately diagnosed as a broken off plastic prop lug. But how it got there will remain a mystery.
This problem has been "resolved" stay tuned for my next crisis. Cheers!
I hadn't assumed you were a bad photographer- I was simply saying it was close to impossible to make a call with the images provided.

You have plenty of options in the US to get a motor/arm assembly, perhaps even motor only if you can find one. Perhaps try approved vendors on the forums here. Plenty of options on amazon also with free shipping.

I wouldn't worry about the extra coating- the windings are copper so any corrosion will be negligible and of no consequence. Inter-winding short or open circuit are the real dangers, neither of which might be negated to any appreciable extent (if at all) by application of any further coating at this point.

Yea I agree I'd only do it as have something on hand and it only take a minute to do, I wouldn't order something in no. One little extra step feel good about it, all fixed and just like it left the factory again!

Yea I agree I'd only do it as have something on hand and it only take a minute to do, I wouldn't order something in no. One little extra step feel good about it, all fixed and just like it left the factory again!
Each to their own with respect to comfort level. From what can be seen of the windings as depicted in the second image it might be that the abrasion exceeds the thickness of the insulation involving the wire. The wire itself is high purity copper (soft) wound with reasonably high tension around a small cross sectional area core. The natural tendency is to break in use (subject to the extent of compromise). These are flying models- the consequence of failure is obvious. Do we take the chance if replacement of the motor is a low cost proposition?

Reactions: old man mavic
Each to their own with respect to comfort level. From what can be seen of the windings as depicted in the second image it might be that the abrasion exceeds the thickness of the insulation involving the wire. The wire itself is high purity copper (soft) wound with reasonably high tension around a small cross sectional area core. The natural tendency is to break in use (subject to the extent of compromise). These are flying models- the consequence of failure is obvious. Do we take the chance if replacement of the motor is a low cost proposition?
that was my concern not only the loss or damage to the drone ,but the possibility of harm to a third party

Yes order one sounds like he's going too, also thought I read something like one or two months out waiting on parts.

Using what he has would get him back in the air until then. Doing so or not would be completely up to him. He can see the condition first hand unlike us, nothing to go on other than a couple of pictures.

The "feel good all fixed and just like it left the factory again" bla bla bla comment was a joke.

Myself I wouldn't and don't fly over people even with a new drone, if lived in a city I wouldn't fly one there I'd take it out of town.
I see many do and that is a personal choice, I had a drone fall from the sky and it didn't suffer from scuffed up windings or any other damage. It was basically fresh out of the box, its battery only used a couple charge cycles. Hit the ground like a cinder block out in front of me a few yards.

Nope was enough to convince me the chance is far too great regardless who makes em that one can fail from any number of reasons, to fly over people/populated areas.

Will do, good suggestion on the nail polish, Danr. I just installed new MAS props all the way around. And I haven't had a chance to fly with them yet. Windy as hell here today so have to wait until 2moro. I will post the results of my first flight.

Reactions: old man mavic
Not to worry guys, I live in a rural area of Missouri where my nearest neighbor is 2 miles away from me. I only fly over trees, pastures and waterways. I have already ordered a complete new arm from the only official ebay DJI outlet store in the US. It is scheduled to arrive by Nov. 12. I was surprised at the $29.00 free shipping price. I will probably fly around my property while waiting for the new arm to arrive but I won't be much over 50 foot ATG. Plenty of good video's on YOUTUBE explaining how to replace the arm on the drone. This has definitely been a learning experience. Thanks again to all.

Replace that motor the coating on the windings is compromised matter of time before that motor shorts out maybe even in flight replace now or you might have to pay a lot more down the road.. plus on the nail poslish and good to hear you ordered a new arm.

Thanks kidroc, the new arm arrives in 2 days and I plan to replace the whole thing asap.
If I can figure out how to do it. I have been watching a bunch of YouTube vids, some good
and some not so good, but I think I am ready.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lucent6408d