DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro "sticky" motor

Bourbon Droner

Reactions
All the prop's on my Mavic Pro spin freely except the front left one, when I spin them with my finger. When I try to turn the sticky prop it is hard to spin and the motion is jerky and seems to be under stress to turn. Changing out the prop on that arm is also hard to do. The drone still fly's at the moment but I am wondering if this problem is effecting the flight characteristics . If this problem needs repaired is it something that I should try or send it off for repairs to a professional? Thanks for any replies!

All the prop's on my Mavic Pro spin freely except the front left one, when I spin them with my finger. When I try to turn the sticky prop it is hard to spin and the motion is jerky and seems to be under stress to turn. Changing out the prop on that arm is also hard to do. The drone still fly's at the moment but I am wondering if this problem is effecting the flight characteristics . If this problem needs repaired is it something that I should try or send it off for repairs to a professional? Thanks for any replies!

Dont fly: immediately get it to a professional or buy the motor yourself , replace at all costs.

Phantomrain.org
Elite gear for your Mavic
Coal

Reactions: Budstas
take the prop off and look to see if any of the small lugs that lock it ti te hub are missing it is possible for them to break off and fall into the motor windings also turn the motor upside down and carefully shake it to see if any thing such as sand or soil, grass, etc has got into the motor a small puffer or canned air can be used to blow through the motor,if after all this there is no change then a new motor would be the best solution, dont spray any solvent type liguid such as WD40 into the motor as it can damage it

Last edited:
take the prop off and loot to see if any of the small lugs that lock it ti te hub are missing it is possible for them to break off and fall into the motor windings also turn the motor upside down and carefully shake it to see if any thing such as sand or soil, grass, etc has got into the motor a small puffer or caned air can be used to blow through the motor,if after all this there is no change then a new motor would be the best solution dont spray any solvent type liguid such as WD40 into the motor as it can damage it

Yep, you were correct. I took the prop off and looked in the motor and sure enough there is a small piece of metal rattling around on top of the coils. I tried very carefully to get it out with a pair of tweezers but it is too big to make it through the slots. The coils look shiny like it had rubbed against them already. So if I can take the top off of the motor, it looks like a very small allen wrench will do it, should I try or is too touchy of an operation for a nimrod like me to try? It sounds like I will need a pro to repair this. Got any suggestions?

Yep, you were correct. I took the prop off and looked in the motor and sure enough there is a small piece of metal rattling around on top of the coils. I tried very carefully to get it out with a pair of tweezers but it is too big to make it through the slots. The coils look shiny like it had rubbed against them already. So if I can take the top off of the motor, it looks like a very small allen wrench will do it, should I try or is too touchy of an operation for a nimrod like me to try? It sounds like I will need a pro to repair this. Got any suggestions?
the screws in the top hold down the prop fixing unit it is seperate from the motor, if you unscrew it you should be able to get the metal out from inside, they are quite tight as they use thread lock to make sure they dont undo, once you have removed the metal spin the motor and listen how it sounds take off all the props and run the motors up and listen to see if they all sound similar and that the motor that had the metal in it is not any hotter than the others, if you have any doubts at all then you will need to get the motor changed, good luck hope you get it sorted out, if you do stick with the same motor make sure you use some thread lock on the screws you removed ,you only need a tiny bit on the thread before you put the screws back in, to help hold the motor from turning as you loosen and do up the screws, double up about 6 inches of duct tape glue to glue and then put it around the outside of the motor casing so it acts like a strap wrench

If all that is required is to remove the prop mount it is a simple operation.

You have been given the simple means to assess performance following removal of the foreign object. Operating temp (compared to other motors, especially the one on opposite side) should give you comfort. If the abrasion of the magnet wire insulation was sufficient to allow a shorted turn it will likely present as increased temperature (lower efficiency).

With everyone's help I was successful removing the metal from my engine. It looks like it is one of the lugs will that be a problem since it now is missing?20191101_072150.jpg

With everyone's help I was successful removing the metal from my engine. It looks like it is one of the lugs will that be a problem since it now is missing?View attachment 84638
It could be. The engineers who designed the part wouldn’t have included that lug if they hadn’t determined it wasn’t necessary for the specified performance. Worst case you loose a prop in flight. I would replace the mount and not fly before then. Your scenario might be compared to driving your vehicle with one or more wheel studs missing or nuts not installed.

if it is a lug was it from the prop mount or from the prop,either way,it would be best to replace the mount as it could be compromised if it comes with new attachment screws they may have some thread lock already on them did the motor sound ok when you spun it

Reactions: Thomas B
if it is a lug was it from the prop mount or from the prop,either way,it would be best to replace the mount as it could be compromised if it comes with new attachment screws they may have some thread lock already on them did the motor sound ok when you spun it

It was a metal lug from the Prop mount. I ran the motors at high RPM for a good 3 minutes. They all sounded the same and the motor did not over heat during the process. I sent a picture but the lug is out of focus. Even though I just purchased some MAS props and I really want to try them out, I will take your advice and not fly until this is resolved. Can a prop mount piece be found and purchased somewhere? I can't imagine DJI selling parts that small. I would think they will want to sell me the whole arm with motor already installed. Does anyone know where and if I can get the mount?
Again thank you all for your support and sharing your knowledge with a green horn like myself!
Sam

Reactions: old man mavic
The base mounts are available separately and easy to find. Cheap also. Google for the source of your choice.

Looks like the only place I can find to buy these parts on Google will be shipped from China and take 1 to 2 months to get here! I was hoping to fly before then. If anyone knows where I can get it quicker let me know.

i think there is something wrong with your description of the part you found in the motor it looks more like a lug from the underside of the prop to me and as such it is plastic not metal as far as the prop mount that goes on the top of the motor there do not appear to be any lugs that big on it check your props and see if any have a missing lug on the underside and compare the mount to the other ones on the other motors

i think there is something wrong with your description of the part you found in the motor it looks more like a lug from the underside of the prop to me and as such it is plastic not metal as far as the prop mount that goes on the top of the motor there do not appear to be any lugs that big on it check your props and see if any have a missing lug on the underside and compare the mount to the other ones on the other motors
[/QUOTE
20191102_064232.jpg

After reading your last post I again took the unit apart and took more pictures. The pic is the prop I removed from the motor. As u can see all lugs are intact! That confuses the matter. The only other place the lug could have came from would be from under the silver cap of the motor. And after lighting and magnifying the motor closer I don't think it is from there either. I then checked every damaged prop I removed since I started flying the drone and all are intact. The only other conclusion I can make is the drone must have been shipped to me originally with the piece already in the motor. Hard to believe. So unless someone sees too much damage to the coils in the pictures I plan to start flying again.20191102_065338.jpg

After reading your last post I again took the unit apart and took more pictures. The pic is the prop I removed from the motor. As u can see all lugs are intact! That confuses the matter. The only other place the lug could have came from would be from under the silver cap of the motor. And after lighting and magnifying the motor closer I don't think it is from there either. I then checked every damaged prop I removed since I started flying the drone and all are intact. The only other conclusion I can make is the drone must have been shipped to me originally with the piece already in the motor. Hard to believe. So unless someone sees too much damage to the coils in the pictures I plan to start flying again.View attachment 84675
20191102_064232.jpg

yes indeed very strange maybe something that fell into the motor and was held by the magnets until one day it came loose and impeded the motor have you tried to pick it up with a magnet just on last suggestion be fore you put it all back together take off the opposite prop holder and compare it with the other one they should be identical mark one so you dont mix them up,
you may think i am being to fussy but i dont want you to miss something that could end up with your MAV falling from the sky thats all

Your idea about a magnet is a good one. I thought about that too and have been looking around the house looking for one. Then I realized I wear a magnetized bracelet for my arthritis, sure enough the piece is NOT magnetic. So it is plastic and most probably a lug from a prop. A puzzle for sure. What do you think about the damage to the coils?
It sounds good and does not over heat at the moment.
And I do appreciate your help and concern. I don't think you are being "fuzzy" at all. I consider myself lucky for all the responses I have gotten on this forum. A person doesn't know what they don't know and need someone to guide them along the way. If no one thinks the coil damage is not too bad to fly then I am off to the wild blue yonder. I am hoping to get some video of the Fall colors before they are gone. Thanks again!

Reactions: old man mavic
no worries look forwards to seeing your results on the forum, keep on top of things by regular check overs of your mav and happy flying

Do you have any other props with a lug missing?

From what can be seen in the photos (the horrific out of focus increases the level
of difficulty in guessing correctly) the motor is butchered.

Btw- if you included your location people might offer recommendations as to where to source parts. My guess now is you are looking for a motor/arm assy.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilldale Harry