DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro still running fine on .900 - worth upgrading?

swoermck

Reactions
Still flying with firmware .900, DJI Go 4 Version 4.1.3 (2017) - everything's fine so far, no issues since >240 flights.

As I recently noticed one of my batteries looks a bit bloated on the bottom, thinking of getting a new battery - but a new one I assume will come with a new firmware:

- will I have to update the Mavic Pro firmware with a new battery?
- any advantages/disadvantages in respect of video/image quality above firmware .900? I heard something of water color effect - was this introduced after .900 firmware?
- will DJI Go 4 Version 4.1.3 will still work with a new firmware on the mavic? the other way round (latest DJI Go 4 Version with Mavic Firmware .900 works fine)?

When flying Parrot Bebob 1 (and Bebob 2) before switching to Mavic, every firmware update from Parrot introduced new problems, so I always stayed away from firmware upgrades - which proved to be the correct move. From this background I am hesitating to upgrade my Mavic, as the old saying goes "never touch a running system".

What's your experience here?

Thanks,

Stefan

I'm on 700 fw on mavic and nld 4.1.22 on rc,no upgrades for me,battery won't make a difference,it will match what's on mavic

Mines been on the latest, whatever that is for a long time and no issues whatsoever. Don't be afraid to upgrade if necessary.

Still flying with firmware .900, DJI Go 4 Version 4.1.3 (2017) - everything's fine so far, no issues since >240 flights.

As I recently noticed one of my batteries looks a bit bloated on the bottom, thinking of getting a new battery - but a new one I assume will come with a new firmware:

- will I have to update the Mavic Pro firmware with a new battery?
- any advantages/disadvantages in respect of video/image quality above firmware .900? I heard something of water color effect - was this introduced after .900 firmware?
- will DJI Go 4 Version 4.1.3 will still work with a new firmware on the mavic? the other way round (latest DJI Go 4 Version with Mavic Firmware .900 works fine)?

When flying Parrot Bebob 1 (and Bebob 2) before switching to Mavic, every firmware update from Parrot introduced new problems, so I always stayed away from firmware upgrades - which proved to be the correct move. From this background I am hesitating to upgrade my Mavic, as the old saying goes "never touch a running system".

What's your experience here?

Thanks,

Stefan

Never upgrade the firmware of a working DJI product

I’d been flying on firmware 1.03.0700 up until recently. A battery started to puff so I replaced it. No warnings. I’ve now flashed to 1.04.0100 for some newer flight modes and still no warnings from either old or new batteries.

thanks for your replies - I would only vote to upgrade if new batteries are forcing me to do so, and happy to hear that is shouldn't be necessary!
As brett8883 stated:
Never upgrade the firmware of a working DJI product

Meanwhile I did some more research and discovered that the firmware upgrade around .1000 introduced overexposure in automatic mode: those are exactly the issues I fear, the reason why I stay away from firmware upgrades.

As long as there is no "killer feature" introduced with newer firmware, e.g. no need to film with sharpness set to +1 to avoid noise reduction kicking in, I am absolutely happy with the bird!!

Attached some pics of the battery in question:

first pic: left battery ok, right battery with the bow (hard to see on the photo, but I can definitely feel it )

Second pic: also a notch at the top, not sure where it came from, as I had zero crashes during my 248 flights.

batterie1.JPGbatterie2.JPG

I'd say the firmware upgrade is your choice. But I'd replace any battery that is swelling up on you or cracked as a safety precaution.

by the way: bird is 1.5 years old, still under the 2 year warranty: will swollen batteries be replaced under warranty?

no,batteries are 6 months

Just checked: my battery (separate item on the invoice as the dealer bundled the Mavic with an extra battery and a micro sd card): warranty until 12th of July 2019. FYI: I‘m living in Europe

(as mentioned above): some question for the people on the latest FW, which issues are finally addressed:

- is the gimbal tilt issue finally solved? Although perfectly calibrated on the ground, once up in the air the horizon on my bird is sometimes still not level - maybe wind blowing from one side? does hand-launching the Mavic effect horizon level?
- gimbal freak out: happens from time to time, not too often but still annoying
- put sharpness to +1 to avoid noise reduction kicking in - still necessary with latest FW?

not looking for latest features (like quickshot modes etc.), I'm more interested in improvements regarding video/photo quality.

Just a few things coming to my mind when weighing advantages of firmware update versus staying on actual version.

thanks,

Stefan

No answer so far - is it safe to assume that the latest firmware didn’t bring improvements regarding video/ photo quality?

Happy to get some opinions here!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS