DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro still worth it now that Mavic 2 is available?

It's interesting, OP, how your approach to this thread garners responses.

Had you said:

Guys, I got the MP, people would've generally said ' congratulations and fly in good health'.

But in my opinion, you're very wrong.
The m2 is the fix to the MP and MPP.

I waited to get the M2P instead of the MPP because I knew with a new physical body, they'd fix MP barriers and faults.

Your theory is for bottom up changes like the 996 and 997 Porsche.

MP to M2P wasn't a night and day change.

I saw this subject title on the Mavic Pro forum where the author is asking the question, and don't want to cross-post, so would like to get your thoughts here.

I am an electrical engineer that designs, develops, and sources ICs for DJI and choose to purchase the Mavic Pro Platinum yesterday. The M2P is a good product and that 1" sensor and other features are welcomed technology advancement from DJI.

My decision to buy a new MPP and not a M2P yesterday was not based on cost (I must have missed one of those great deals because I paid full price from the DJI website). It was based on how long the MP/MPP platform been on the market. I did not buy the M2P for the same reason I never buy a first year model car. I am not too concerned about having to wait on accessories compatible with the M2P, they will come fast as vendors scramble to get their products out there first. Companies (especially consumer electronics) are under huge stress to meet release schedules (and sometimes miss them as you can see). This squeezes the development cycle (missing features and other issues). It also reduces the company beta-testing time and moves this to the consumer to find more bugs. This also has financial implications which companies benefit from; reduced development cycle gets the product to market faster and starts revenue generation sooner. The problems the consumer sees are reported here and other sites, DJI evaluates those issues, prioritizes if and when they want to fix them (always balancing cost vs. profit), and make quiet running changes. Running changes are almost never made public, then consumers want the 'upgrade'. Take the example of the mechanics, the M2P has a new body which has new hinges and other wear components. They get field returns and make a tweak to the hinge, but we don't know that. Or perhaps they changed their ESC or brushless motor vendor, problems are reported by us, and they make a running change to improve that. F/W upgrades are great, and I am not as concerned about that- our product is fully upgradable in that respect, but your H/W is not.

In the competitive world of consumer products, 'early adopters' of the newest products are an extension of the company R&D. The original Mavics are no exception. There were many running changes both mechanical, electrical (ICs included), and firmware. Just check the Original Mavic Pro, 17 firmware updates since Oct 2016. First they were about every month, then got further apart as the bugs were worked out, up to many months. Keep in mind that F/W updates are not just to provide tweaks to performance and add features, but are often required when a company upgrades electronics you don't know about, it's part of that running change I am talking about here.

I had an opportunity to purchase a brand new M2P yesterday but choose a stable platform with a lot of accessories already available. This was a tradeoff for the larger sensor and other features the new bird has which look great. As a guy that sells the semiconductors, we need early adopter consumers, and it's a personal decision if you want to be one. There is not right or wrong answer. Your thoughts?

I have 2 mavic pro's and 1 Mavic 2 Pro and my son has a Mavic 2 Zoom.

I still fly my OG Mavic's but the Mavic 2 seems to respond and it flys smoother, if that makes sense.. If I had to choose between the two solely on cost, I would chose the MP1 used with fly more for around 600-700 bucks. Now if you are using it for work and need the 1 inch sensor, go with the M2P. My son has only flown the zoom so I can't comment on it but I use my MP and M2P for work every day. I fly for about 2 hours a day for work. The MP1 is moddable and that is the reason I keep it. I need to fly above 1500 feet at times when inspecting equipment on the top of mountains. With the M2P I would have to climb up a few hundred meters and then take off.. No one wants to do that. Time is money.

I own the MP, MPP, and the M2zoom. The M2 is FAR more robust of a drone in several ways. The camera is better. The drone itself has the quietness of the MPP as well as longer battery life and a higher top speed (44 mph). The MP I have is pretty good video quality and the gimbal horizon drift is minimal. The MPP has full blown drunken horizon issue and has the video noise blurring issue even at +1 sharpness. I regret the **** MPP so much. The gimbal issue with the original Mavic Pro and Mavic Pro Platinum occurs at an extremely high rate. I think DJI made to many defective units and they are just trying to milk it for all the money possible.
ALL THAT SAID... The Mavic 2 has NONE of those issues and it's a **** relief. You will not regret the M2.. ever.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078