DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro Tablet

Liam_89

Reactions
Hi,
So I'm looking to get a tablet for my mavic,
Possibly something that fits into the controller without the need for the tablet holder,
I have and always will be an Apple user,
Currently using my iPhone 7 plus and iPad Pro 10.5 for flying the mav and they work flawlessly,
Basically I just want something I can dedicate to the mav so that it can live in the case with it for flying only,
Don't really like taking my iPad Pro 10.5 out, so need something else,
I have my eye on 2 tablets and was just after a bit of advice,
I know I could go and get the iPad mini 4 for around £259 and be done with it, but it's a lot cash to just sit in drone case until I want to fly with it,
The other tab I have seen is the Acer iconia one 7,
I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to android,
But I've heard good things about these,
Would that run the go 4 app without freezing cut outs and lag ?
Thanks

Liam,

I was flying my Mavic with my Samsung Galaxy S5 phone and then went to the I-pad mini 4. What a difference! I have had it about 2 weeks now and no problems what so ever. I am dedicating the I-pad just for flying. It fits nicely into the slots of the remote controller and holds securely. If you go this route, you won't be dissatisfied with your choice.

Happy flying!

Mike

Reactions: Rbruz and Liam_89
I use Apple tablets for all my DJI Drones and have had ZERO issues. I've got several Apple Ipads I use as well, from my Ipad Air, Ipad Air 2, Ipad Mini 4 to my Ipad Pro. They all work without issue.

While I'll claim my Ipad Mini 4 is strictly for my Mavic or Spark, it has all kinds of Apps, music, and videos loaded. I just turn off apps I'm not using when flying...

Reactions: Timbit31 and Rbruz
Hi,
So I'm looking to get a tablet for my mavic,
Possibly something that fits into the controller without the need for the tablet holder,
I have and always will be an Apple user,
Currently using my iPhone 7 plus and iPad Pro 10.5 for flying the mav and they work flawlessly,
Basically I just want something I can dedicate to the mav so that it can live in the case with it for flying only,
Don't really like taking my iPad Pro 10.5 out, so need something else,
I have my eye on 2 tablets and was just after a bit of advice,
I know I could go and get the iPad mini 4 for around £259 and be done with it, but it's a lot cash to just sit in drone case until I want to fly with it,
The other tab I have seen is the Acer iconia one 7,
I have no clue whatsoever when it comes to android,
But I've heard good things about these,
Would that run the go 4 app without freezing cut outs and lag ?
Thanks

Ipad mini2 rocks for me, got it cheap on swappa $150 USD data version slides in remote travels fine plenty of battery life

Ipad mini2 rocks for me, got it cheap on swappa $150 USD data version slides in remote travels fine plenty of battery life

I'm happy with my iPad mini 4. It's primarily used for drone, but I use it on the side quite a bit since ,y phone is acting up.

I originally flew with a Samsung tablet, it was pretty crappy. I now have an iPad Mini 4 and it is great, and I've never been a fan of Apple.

So how exactly does that work? Don't you need an internet connection to get maps?
Are most folks just adding the iPad to their data plan?

So how exactly does that work? Don't you need an internet connection to get maps?
Are most folks just adding the iPad to their data plan?
Yes, you need an internet connection to get maps. My iPad Mini 4 is a WiFi only version, so I have it tethered to my home or if away from home, the Samsung tablet in my pick-up.

I'm on my old daily-use Mini 2 (with Cellular).

Fits in the controller and seems to work ok - every once in a while I get a warning about the processor being overloaded so I'm debating upgrading to a Mini 4.

Plus, iOS11 later in the year will pretty much kill the Mini 2 so I may be forced to upgrade regardless :(

I have had a 128 gb IPad mini 4, wi-fi only from beginning. I knew these old eyes would need something bigger than my iPhone 7 plus.

I have over 250 miles on MP and never had an issue. If I need maps that I have not already cached I use a hot spot to download, turn wi-if back off and go fly. I have all my drone stuff, email and a few other apps on my tab but leave auto app. refresh and wi-if off while flying.

Only problem I had was they were new when I bought mine and cost me an arm and a leg. You can pick up for half the price now.

I don't think I would enjoy flying as much if I had to always re-boot a crashing app in the middle of a good shooting sequence. So to me it's worth every penny.

Highly recommend IPad mini 4. You don't really need the 128 gb from what I've read the 64 works fine and unless you want to buy a data plan wi-if only is enough.

But whatever, if it works, don't fix it...

Reactions: JDG
Having given some more thought to my post above, I do have another option to share.

Currently own a iPhone 5S 32GB and an iPad Mini 2 128GB.

I love both devices but alas I won't be putting iOS11 on either as they simply won't handle it.

So since that post above, I've been debating selling both and buying an iPhone 7 Plus.

Pros and cons for doing that thought, it means owning a much larger phone (on which I'm not over keen) and technically owning a much smaller tablet (again, not over keen). On the up side though, only one device to carry.

This needs some more thought :)

I attempted to use Samsung S6, but since I wasn't able to keep a stable connection I changed to a Mini 4. No problems yet with the Mini. Very stable.

I use an Nvidia shield for dedicated mavic use (well, 90% at least) no issues at all. For $199 I could justify it. And I get an hdmi out to use with my fatshark hd3 goggles.

iPad wifi will not allow you to set home point as you mid flight,you need gps for that.The best option for all scenarios is wifi and cellular(if the extra cost is worthwhile).You do not need a SIM card to use the gps.If using wifi only you can hotspot your phone and iPad.

I originally flew with a Samsung tablet, it was pretty crappy. I now have an iPad Mini 4 and it is great, and I've never been a fan of Apple.

Same with me. I hate the restrictions iOS places on users, but based on the many comments here about GO4 crashes under android OS, it just doesn't make sense otherwise. I use my iPad Mini 4 exclusively for dronage.

I'm about to grab an iPad mini 4 (wifi only) and a Garmin GLONAS

Works out cheaper than the cellular version of ipad and has/gives better GPS than ios devices.

I currently use iPhone 7 Plus, but it just isn't large enough for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty