DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs air portability in there bags?

until you power it on and they hear it. My friend said it best. He said my pro at 50 feet sounds like his air at 300 feet. His air is now for sale in western ma if anybody wants it:D

I spent 4 hours flying both back to back last weekend, and yes the MP is quieter, but neither are quiet enough such that they can't easily be heard in virtually all of the same conditions. If you launch the drone near people, they are going to get the exact same attention. If you are hovering one or the other over a wedding or a crowd, both are going to be obvious. Once they are a ways out, neither can be heard. The MP is a bit quieter and obviously quieter is better, but a 6X noise factor is a gross exaggeration IMHO. Maybe we'll eventually get some quiet props for the Air.

I'm with the majority of the people on this thread. The size difference is insignificant. But what you give up in the Pro vs the Air is far more (I've got both). You can't simply compare the size of the drone, You need to add in ALL the gear you bring with you, the remote, batteries, tablet, mavmount (if you use one), etc. That all takes up space. How much space does all that take up.

Always less with the Air, assuming identical accessories. The importance of what you give up (and gain) is up to each individual. For me, the additional sensors, portability, and better video quality were major factors in my decision. For the next person those things may not matter, or they may have different priorities, and that's 100% fine.

I also feel you give up too much with the Mavic Air; it's loud, it's range is poor, video gets laggy at short ranges, and it has a much shorter flight time. And IMO, the MA feels cheap compared to the MP.

Personally I have not experienced any of the issues you mention. I have yet to even see the signal drop below maximum bars. Video does not get noticeably laggy at short ranges (or out to 1-2km) in my experience. 4km is further than I would ever fly any drone and not what I would personally classify as "poor", but I can't argue with the MP's range being superior or the longer flight times - if those are important to you, it's nice that the MP is available.

People say the MP's camera is inferior and the gimbal is fragile. Uploading videos and pics to Youtube or whatever social media sharing site, you're hard pressed to tell the difference. And the gimbal being fragile? I don't think so. If you are talking a crash. Well all bets are off. Anything can happen, but in general the gimbal on the MP is pretty darn good. As an example, I ride and ADV bike which takes me off-road. I ride all kinds of terrain. By the middle of summer, a lot of the roads I ride are "washboard" covered and can be like that for miles. One time I had my MP with me and the gimbal lock had fallen off. The trail was particularly bad. When I found a spot I wanted to film/shoot, my wrists and quads were beat. It was like riding on a jack hammer. When I pulled out my MP, the gimbal lock and camera cover were loose in the case. Somewhere on the ride they'd come off. I was a bit concerned, but I fired it up and everything worked fine. IMO, a testament to the durability of the gimbal.

The camera is inferior. Whether or not you are likely to notice depends on the end usage - not everyone's end usage is the same. Nobody plans to crash, but if that happens, the Air's gimbal is almost completely protected and therefore more likely to survive - it's just the product of a newer, better design I think. I won't be surprised if the MP 2 looks like a supersized Air (probably easier for DJI to engineer that way, too - I just hope it has a much larger sensor).

Anyways it's nice that we have both choices available to us. I also find that some people are very quick to discount or ignore the advantages of the Air, and only focus on the advantages of the Pro. During my research, it seemed like a fair number of people actually switched from the Pro to the Air, so it just goes to show what is best for one person may not be for the next. The fact that they 'spark' so much debate is another good indication that both are excellent drones. We are fortunate that DJI is actively developing both product lines and if I had the money I would probably own both :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada