DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro vs Mavic Mini 2

KilljoyKid14

Reactions
Greetings,

I'm considering switching from the OG Mavic Pro to the Mavic Mini 2 and am looking for some validation in the choice. Living in Canada, flying anything over 250g has become an issue. The fines are significant, and maintaining a 9km distance from every airport and aerodrome is quite difficult. I originally bought the Mavic Pro to film action sports in 2017, it served me well but I'm now at an age where it's mostly just something I use for personal enjoyment and the odd paid job for local small businesses. In the future I would consider doing more paid work so image quality is a consideration.

I've been waiting to get licensed to be able to perform "advanced" operations, but due to Covid, tests have been hard to come by and at $300-$500 per test, it seems like upgrading to the Mavic Mini 2 may be a good choice for my situation (drones under 250g in Canada do not need registration or licenses).

I've seen some good reviews of the MM2 and some not so good ones. I'm really only interested in upgrading to avoid the registration and potential fines of flying too close to the city limits. Is the MM2 worth the upgrade or is the OG MP better to stick with?

Greetings,

I'm considering switching from the OG Mavic Pro to the Mavic Mini 2 and am looking for some validation in the choice. Living in Canada, flying anything over 250g has become an issue. The fines are significant, and maintaining a 9km distance from every airport and aerodrome is quite difficult. I originally bought the Mavic Pro to film action sports in 2017, it served me well but I'm now at an age where it's mostly just something I use for personal enjoyment and the odd paid job for local small businesses. In the future I would consider doing more paid work so image quality is a consideration.

I've been waiting to get licensed to be able to perform "advanced" operations, but due to Covid, tests have been hard to come by and at $300-$500 per test, it seems like upgrading to the Mavic Mini 2 may be a good choice for my situation (drones under 250g in Canada do not need registration or licenses).

I've seen some good reviews of the MM2 and some not so good ones. I'm really only interested in upgrading to avoid the registration and potential fines of flying too close to the city limits. Is the MM2 worth the upgrade or is the OG MP better to stick with?
I've had the original Mavic Pro, enjoyed the continuous development in the early months, some new feature added monthly, I then bought the M2P, vast improvement on the original. This year I bought the Mini 2, the reason in the UK the rules changed in Jan.21

The Mini 2 at less than the 250g point means I can fly it in more places than I can with the 900g M2P. There has not been any new features added since it's release and therefore I think you need to be aware the specs of the Mini 2 are not likely to change, so read them carefully before you buy. The mini 2 is not a light weight version of the original Mavic pro, the original Mavic Pro has many more features, the camera is comparable in my opinion, 4k etc, but it's the <250g that makes it so useful.

I had the Mavic Pro Platinum. It was a fine, reliable, strong drone to use here in my rural area. But I wanted something smaller and even more portable. I got a Mini but while it was just out of the package the Mini 2 came out. I'm very glad I returned it for the Mini 2. For my purposes on a ranch, the Mini 2 can do just as much for me as the Mavic Pro Platinum. It's portability makes it so easy to launch. I think you'll be quite pleased with the Mini 2 but keep in mind a new drone could come out anytime.

Reactions: Mavic 57
One aspect to consider. There is a significant difference between the Go4 app and the silly Flyapp. Worth a little investigating.

I've owned both. Basically, other than legal reasons, the Mini 2 is a LOT lighter, smaller, more life in the batteries and pretty darn easy to use. I do 'prefer' the 'balance' of the mavic when flying, but that's subjective. I vastly prefer the controller of the Mini 2, and I hated the mavic's controller after moving across from the Phantom 4.

Overall, I'd actually never wish to return to a Mavic Pro, despite knowing that it's probably a better camera. Maybe.

Mini 2 all day long. It's just so easy to take it everywhere.

I've had the original Mavic Pro, enjoyed the continuous development in the early months, some new feature added monthly, I then bought the M2P, vast improvement on the original. This year I bought the Mini 2, the reason in the UK the rules changed in Jan.21

The Mini 2 at less than the 250g point means I can fly it in more places than I can with the 900g M2P. There has not been any new features added since it's release and therefore I think you need to be aware the specs of the Mini 2 are not likely to change, so read them carefully before you buy. The mini 2 is not a light weight version of the original Mavic pro, the original Mavic Pro has many more features, the camera is comparable in my opinion, 4k etc, but it's the <250g that makes it so useful.
Canada has some fairly strict regulations as well, which has led me to fly significantly less. I feel like the increased likelihood I do fly outweighs the few features I lose. To be honest I'm a fairly simple pilot, I've only used smart features a handful of times and don't rely on obstacle avoidance as all my crashes have come from small branches that weren't picked up anyways.

Overall I suppose it's better to have a slightly less advanced piece of equipment I use lots than a more advanced piece that finds itself on a shelf more often than not.

I've owned both. Basically, other than legal reasons, the Mini 2 is a LOT lighter, smaller, more life in the batteries and pretty darn easy to use. I do 'prefer' the 'balance' of the mavic when flying, but that's subjective. I vastly prefer the controller of the Mini 2, and I hated the mavic's controller after moving across from the Phantom 4.

Overall, I'd actually never wish to return to a Mavic Pro, despite knowing that it's probably a better camera. Maybe.

Mini 2 all day long. It's just so easy to take it everywhere.
That's good to know you don't miss the Mavic. I was worried when I first switched to it in 2017 from a Phantom 3 that I'd miss features, but found I never felt like I lacked anything. Having started with a Phantom 2 and a GoPro strapped on, hoping that my camera was actually capturing something useful, everything still feels like such an unbelievable upgrade

Also you are right, the Mavic Controller is terrible. It may be worth it to switch for no other reason than the conroller.

Still have both, the mini2's camera is actually better.

Mini2 is basically as good as the MP in almost every aspect, better in some (camera, flight time), it just lacks some of the automated/assistance features which I personally never used so don't miss.

Reactions: excalibur1814
Greetings,

My sentiments exactly. I have just sold my M2Z because it is becoming more difficult to fly larger drones. A few months ago the police came by where I was flying. They looked at the Mini 2 and said "that's ok" then they pointed to the M2Z and said "but that's not"!
So now I am flying only with my Mini 2 and must say that it's a great little drone. However rumor has it that the Mini 3 will be out soon so if I were you I would wait a little longer. By the way it's not a MM2 just a Mini 2. DJI dropped the Mavic bit.

Welcome to the forum from Chicago the Windy City.
I own two MP's, but love to Fly the MM2, quiet, and invisible to the eye at 300 feet.

I got the bug about 6 months ago and since my wife is a real estate agent I decided to get my Part 107 commercial cert (USA), too. Have done a few jobs for compensation (real estate, golf courses) and the Mini 2 was more than adequate. In fact the clients loved the picture and video quality.

I have no regrets going with the Mini 2. Friends and family are amazed at how good the pics are. Terrific for family and vacation photography and also good for commercial use.

The Mini 2 offers a great balance of functionality and price. And with the headaches/costs associated with going above 250g in Canada I think it may be close to the perfect solution for you.

just a newbie with a thought. might wait to see what the MM 3 is going to offer ... if it ever gets released.

i just started flying my MM 2 and it's a great drone to fly. very easy to learn and hardly anyone knows it's around.

Greetings,

I had the Mavic Pro 2 for about 2 years, but gave it to my nephew a few months back. I noticed that it attracted a lot of attention where ever I went, and I never used it for business purposes anyway.

I bought the Mini 2 last week, and it is small enough to carry anywhere. Sounds like a gnat at 50 feet!

My sentiments exactly. I have just sold my M2Z because it is becoming more difficult to fly larger drones. A few months ago the police came by where I was flying. They looked at the Mini 2 and said "that's ok" then they pointed to the M2Z and said "but that's not"!
So now I am flying only with my Mini 2 and must say that it's a great little drone. However rumor has it that the Mini 3 will be out soon so if I were you I would wait a little longer. By the way it's not a MM2 just a Mini 2. DJI dropped the Mavic bit.

Can you tell me why they said it was not OK ? was it the area... Restricted ? Or are they just banning them ? I have a mini2 but am looking at an Autel EVO II

Can you tell me why they said it was not OK ? was it the area... Restricted ? Or are they just banning them ? I have a mini2 but am looking at an Autel EVO II
They didn't explain. They didn't even get out of their car. I had the Mini 2 in my hand and the M2Z was visible in the boot/trunk of my car. When I asked if there was a problem they said that's ok (Mini 2) but that's not pointing to the M2Z. The location was fine as it is an isolated hill which many drone fliers use. Perhaps I was in the wrong place at the wrong time!? Anyway I took note and this is one of the reasons I have sold my M2Z and am now sticking to drones under 250 grams.

I'm in accordance with most of the other contributors.
I bought a Mavic Pro shortly after release and enjoyed flying it and took quite a lot of aerial footage. I sold it with the intention of getting something with a better camera but never got around to it.

I got a Mini 2 on the spur of the moment a couple of days before we went on holiday. This was around a month ago and in that time I have become more and more impressed with it. For me it the size that makes it such an enjoyable aircraft to use. Subject to good sense it feels like finally something has come along to be able to provide aerial footage with the minimum amount of fuss and effort. It is so quiet and unobtrusive that very few people even noticed when I flew it when on holiday. A very different feeling to flying the Mavic Pro.
Image wise I have been comparing footage and the Mini 2 is in no way inferior although I have got better at judging exposure. I certainly don't miss the collision avoidance stuff so find it hard to think of a reason why anyone would not prefer the Mini 2.

Reactions: SpitFire
There is a difference/concern that I haven't seen addressed yet and that is the wind resistance.
You can't fight physics and the much lighter M2 can't be as stable as the Mavic 1 or 2. Yes, the small and mighty M2 does an amazing job stabilizing/holding in heavy wind (more than say 25 mph) but just look at all the motion it has to do to maintain that...I noticed it in a few scenarios.... especially windy day panoramas and anything other than very bright days with fast shutter speeds. If you slow down the shutter for less than bright light, it will blur....Again, just a limitation of that light weight and fighting the wind...Although the gimble is stabilized, it can't react as smoothly as a heavier unit

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78