DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro went rogue

Let's not get into android vs ios, shall we? :) I use both ios and android as my device. I cannot compare them as I use a fully modded android apk on a dedicated Tab S2 (before it was on S7edge) vs "standard" app on the ios. The modded apk is very stable and so far never crashed. I also have no problems with the ios, but I stay with ios 10. We can see some people are having problems with ios 11.

In this thread, I am more interested in DJI explanation of what happened.
It's just a funny statement. Im reckless with my androids and Malware is a non existent issue unless you don't know how to delete apps. I owned an iPad but have always used android phones. Ive had more stability issues in general with my iPad.
Neither is perfect.

I had a similar thing happen a few months back. I had been flying in sport mode for most of a battery on a hot day in NY (approximately 90F). When I returned back to myself to land I brought the Mavic down to catch. When it was just within reach I grabbed onto it at which time it became totally unresponsive. I was unable to shut it down with stick input, or via the power button on the battery. The battery level went from somewhere in the 30s to single digits in seconds and the quadcopter remained at wide opened throttle. I had tried turning the controller off and back on but nothing. I ended up having to pull the battery out to stop it. In my case the quad had a mind of it's own and couldn't be shut down, I assume it was battery temp related. I reviewed logs afterwards but found nothing suspicious there. No warnings or lost signals.

Let's not get into android vs ios, shall we? :) I use both ios and android as my device. I cannot compare them as I use a fully modded android apk on a dedicated Tab S2 (before it was on S7edge) vs "standard" app on the ios. The modded apk is very stable and so far never crashed. I also have no problems with the ios, but I stay with ios 10. We can see some people are having problems with ios 11.

In this thread, I am more interested in DJI explanation of what happened.
Hello
What apk did you use? I have a dedicated Tab S2 that I use with the .700 on it.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's actually not a virus. It's a well known issue. I don't want to step over the line so I'll stop there.

Anyway, have you find out what firmware is your Mavic?

Can you tactfully elaborate on that?

A similar situation happened for me...about 8 weeks ago....and I was without a drone for almost a month.

At first, I was relieved in a way that is was not my error.....as it was repaired under warranty ......

However, it had made me mistrustful of the drone!

I was glad I was alone when the drone went spinning....but now I worry ....

Pilot error I could have improved upon...unknown glitches within the drone.....not so much.

I am away from my drone as I write this and cannot provide any data....

How in the world did you land in your hand and pull the battery out of the machine while the blades are turning - please explain?

Hello all,

First time poster and new owner of a Mavic Pro.

I'm sure this is something I did incorrectly, though I don't know what, and thought I'd post it here for help.

I live in a mountain community in north Georgia that is fairly wooded.

On my third day of owning my drone I was flying in tripod mode with the drone about 7 feet in front of me, and about 6 feet off of the ground. I was filming walking down my driveway when without warning, or any input to my controller, the drone shot straight up in the air at a high rate of speed and crashed and got stuck in some branches about 80 feet above me.

As it was ascending I attempted to put it in pause/hover mode but no matter what inputs I attempted nothing worked.

I eventually dislodged the drone with some long lost tennis skills however it hit the ground fairly hard and damaged the gimbal, leg and some other minor issues.

It's been sent back for repair but I'm wondering what sent the drone into a high speed climb and crash.

Also, I checked my flight logs and I does not show the drone climbing rapidly, which worries me for the repair as I sent it back as an item error and not operator error.

Thanks for any assistance.

CJ

I had a similar situation. I was flying my drone taking pictures of a house (I'm a Real Estate Photographer). Flying my drone about 100 ft taking pictures. All of a sudden lost signal and it started flying away. Followed all procedures, but no luck. Never found the bird. Figured it was my fault. Got a new Mavic and couldn't get the Controller to connect to the new Mavic. Tried everything with the tech at Multicopter Warehouse (by the way they are great). Said I had a bad controller. Sent the flight logs and Controller to DJI and DJI admitted it was a bad Controller.
To make a long story they sent my a new Controller and a new Mavic Pro

Reactions: Hal
Hello
What apk did you use? I have a dedicated Tab S2 that I use with the .700 on it.
We are not free to talk about it here as it can be considered as hacking. You can google about it though. Use keywords something like: how to mod your own Go4 apk.

How in the world did you land in your hand and pull the battery out of the machine while the blades are turning - please explain?
I almost always hand catch my drones. For Mavic, I always catch it from the side with my thumb and middle finger catching the battery latch. Should something happen, such as the motors wouldn't stop, I can easily dislodge the battery.

Purchased backup arrived 2 days ago, and I completely agree. Afraid to fly it.
Trust is about feelings. Take baby steps. Remember to set the Mavic to Hover for signal loss if you are doing walking in the woods again. Make it a habit to set it back to Return to Home after you are done with walking in the woods.

There are thousands and thousands of Mavics sold all over the world, and what happened to you is very rare. After a while, you'll gain your trust back :)

Interesting post here. The virus your app pulled up, did this happen in regards to the link that the DJI mod sent you?

No, that was an Android warning when I tried to reinstall the app. I also got the warning when I did an Antivirus check on my phone.

DJI Service was noncommittal on what caused the issue. The repair bill is $215, which is a lot less than I imagined...so there's that.

I almost always hand catch my drones. For Mavic, I always catch it from the side with my thumb and middle finger catching the battery latch. Should something happen, such as the motors wouldn't stop, I can easily dislodge the battery.
Nice heads up on that

Hello all,

First time poster and new owner of a Mavic Pro.

I'm sure this is something I did incorrectly, though I don't know what, and thought I'd post it here for help.

I live in a mountain community in north Georgia that is fairly wooded.

On my third day of owning my drone I was flying in tripod mode with the drone about 7 feet in front of me, and about 6 feet off of the ground. I was filming walking down my driveway when without warning, or any input to my controller, the drone shot straight up in the air at a high rate of speed and crashed and got stuck in some branches about 80 feet above me.

As it was ascending I attempted to put it in pause/hover mode but no matter what inputs I attempted nothing worked.

I eventually dislodged the drone with some long lost tennis skills however it hit the ground fairly hard and damaged the gimbal, leg and some other minor issues.

It's been sent back for repair but I'm wondering what sent the drone into a high speed climb and crash.

Also, I checked my flight logs and I does not show the drone climbing rapidly, which worries me for the repair as I sent it back as an item error and not operator error.

Thanks for any assistance.

CJ
I live in a wooded area in Oregon. When I was on my third flight and had the Mavic hovering 6 feet in front of me on my front porch it shot up into the trees like a rocket, bounced around in the branches, responded to no controller inputs, then stalled and crashed. I had triggered the Return to Home (RTH) feature which is preset to go to an altitude of 90 feet, which was not possible in my tree canopy and then use GPS to return to it's take off point.

In my case I did unknowingly trigger something on the controller. In your case maybe some thing else triggered it. But the situation you are describing is EXACTLY what I experienced.

I have subsequently found it is not possible to disable RTH, although you can set an altitude. However, in forest flying that is inconsistent and not practical unless you take off where there is open sky and stay above the forest canopy.

I know that when the battery calculates what it needs to get back safely to it's take off point, RTH is triggered. I experienced that happen once with my Spark, but I was in Arizona with only 9 foot Saguaros and open sky so it worked out.

Maybe something triggered the RTH.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anton13