DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Pro went rogue

Probably - the DAT files get overwritten by new ones. Anyway - in that flight you were in wifi mode as far as I can see, where the device is controlling the aircraft directly, and you had noticeable signal issues. That is a completely different situation.

The thing is I was not in wifi mode (I never even tried it) and was standing just next to the drone.

In the settings you can tell it to either hover where it is on signal loss or to return to the home point (where it started normally). If you are flying in open spaces with nothing it can hit when ascending you normally want the latter.

Hover should only be used if you are flying in confined spaces, under things, like trees, bridges or when taking off from a boat or other moving object.

The thing is I was not in wifi mode (I never even tried it) and was standing just next to the drone.

The log file notification entry for that flight at 104 seconds is "Mode changed to WiFi_Reconnect". I think that definitely means that you were in wifi mode.

I had a similar incident where the Mavic was 30 feet away and disconnected from the RC. It did a return to home and hovered. I could not get it to reconnect. Tried to grab it out of the air but it put up a fight. It finally landed when the battery got low enough. DJI was no help. They just said to update to the latest firmware and Go app. Now my tablet crashes mid flight with latest app.

Are you saying that your mobile device losing connection with the RC caused the RC to lose connection with the aircraft?
When I first purchased my Mavic, I used an Android phone for my first few flights and experienced multiple instances where the DJI app would crash and cause a aircraft disconnect between the RC and the Mavic. Luckily, the Mavic would always RTH. After I switched to an iPad, I never experienced the issue again.
I noticed the OP mentioned he used an S7, so this may have been the cause.

Reactions: sar104
Tried to grab it out of the air

Had the same issue the day before my rogue event, luckily grabbed it as it was trying to slice through my screen porch and only took some of my skin instead.

I'm hoping moving to a non Android dedicated device (iPad mini 2) and the help here will alleviate some issues. At least I now have a backup Mavic Pro (eventually the wife's) to test on in the dense woodlands here.

Had the same issue the day before my rogue event, luckily grabbed it as it was trying to slice through my screen porch and only took some of my skin instead.

I'm hoping moving to a non Android dedicated device (iPad mini 2) and the help here will alleviate some issues. At least I now have a backup Mavic Pro (eventually the wife's) to test on in the dense woodlands here.
I have heard of problems with the Mini 2. If you are going to use an Ipad. I would suggest the mini 4. Be aware that you need the cellular version to get GPS which is needed for follow m or resetting the home point to the controller.

you need the cellular version to get GPS which is needed for follow me or resetting the home point to the controller.

Got that, but not so concerned right now with those issues, but more concerned with stability and DJI compatibility.

Thank you

Hello all,

First time poster and new owner of a Mavic Pro.

I'm sure this is something I did incorrectly, though I don't know what, and thought I'd post it here for help.

I live in a mountain community in north Georgia that is fairly wooded.

On my third day of owning my drone I was flying in tripod mode with the drone about 7 feet in front of me, and about 6 feet off of the ground. I was filming walking down my driveway when without warning, or any input to my controller, the drone shot straight up in the air at a high rate of speed and crashed and got stuck in some branches about 80 feet above me.

As it was ascending I attempted to put it in pause/hover mode but no matter what inputs I attempted nothing worked.

I eventually dislodged the drone with some long lost tennis skills however it hit the ground fairly hard and damaged the gimbal, leg and some other minor issues.

It's been sent back for repair but I'm wondering what sent the drone into a high speed climb and crash.

Also, I checked my flight logs and I does not show the drone climbing rapidly, which worries me for the repair as I sent it back as an item error and not operator error.

Thanks for any assistance.

CJ

Firstly CJ Ellijay Welcome to the Forum

To my Novice mind it sounds like it tried to do a "return to home" and having no sensors that avoid obstacles when going up ,The Mavic did a I am going to Die maneuver .

Last edited by a moderator:
Got that, but not so concerned right now with those issues, but more concerned with stability and DJI compatibility.

Thank you

I have heard of issues with the mini2 running IOS 11. I've had no problems with the mini4. Something to consider.

Flying under the canopy of "dense woodlands" may have been your problem. It would go into ATTI mode if it loses GPS. I'm not sure if it would also attempt a RTH. I suggest flying only in clearings until you get more familiar with the Mavic. And keep the broad part of the antennas pointed directly at the aircraft at all times.

Flying under the canopy of "dense woodlands" may have been your problem. It would go into ATTI mode if it loses GPS. I'm not sure if it would also attempt a RTH.
The Mavic would not have attempted to fly back to the home point if RTH was initiated while it was flying in ATTI mode. Instead, it would have auto landed at its current location.

Reactions: LongRifle
That’s another reason I use Apple devices, Android is so malware prone you can’t rely on it being safe, it’s a know fact that there is so much malware in the google play store it’s scary to use your device IMO

Hahah the rational of the sheeple
Let's not get into android vs ios, shall we? :) I use both ios and android as my device. I cannot compare them as I use a fully modded android apk on a dedicated Tab S2 (before it was on S7edge) vs "standard" app on the ios. The modded apk is very stable and so far never crashed. I also have no problems with the ios, but I stay with ios 10. We can see some people are having problems with ios 11.

In this thread, I am more interested in DJI explanation of what happened.

Reactions: jljal288

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vertexshope11