DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic RAW files in Apple Photos

You may be on to something. I sent mine in for repair because the gimbal calibration failed following a firmware update. I was told it had to be sent in to be repaired. So it is not unreasonable to assume that they had to change the camera which is integrated with the gimbal. That would explain why my DNG files worked before but not after the repair. Bummer for my workflow! Please post what you find when your replacement arrives. BTW, what did yours go in for?

BTW, what did yours go in for?

For this DNG issue. Lots of back and forth with DJI until they gave in and asked me to send it in. Then lots of back and forth with them over exactly the same issues until they agreed to replace. I've heard from a few people who's DNG files worked prior to replacement but not after. I'm hoping it is just a batch but will post when mine arrives and I get time to test it.

Great news! My new Mavic just arrived and, after doing a Firmware update, all seems to be working as intended. My DNG files open without issue in both Preview and Photos.

Personally I don't think it is a software nor a firmware issue. I tried all of the last three firmware versions (not .700 - as my Mavic was with DJI when that was released) and all had the same issue. My theory is that later batches of Mavics use a different version of the camera (or they just had a bad batch). This is partly bourn out by the fact that DJI told me that they tested a few other Mavics in their workshop and that none of them produced DNG files which worked natively on the Mac. They used this as an excuse to tell me the problem was with Apple, not them, but the fact that yours (and many others) worked makes this unlikely.

My replacement is due sometime today. If it arrives, before I head to work, I'll see how it fares with this issue
Hi Beachduc, did you get to the bottom of the issue? I just got a replacement Mavic back fro DJI and can't open the RAW files now either. could with the other dodgy Mavic!! Help!!

Hi Beachduc, did you get to the bottom of the issue? I just got a replacement Mavic back fro DJI and can't open the RAW files now either. could with the other dodgy Mavic!! Help!!

The replacement I was sent worked fine... until I upgraded to 0.800 firmware. Thankfully a drop back to 0.700 fixed the issue one the second drone. Good luck getting yours sorted out.

When I called DJI after receiving my "repaired" Mavic and noticed the DNG issue, they were quick to issue a return authorization and prepaid label. But they would not agree to any form of expedited handling even though they had just had it and burned through a month of my warranty and DJI Care. I decided to forego sending it in because I have the workaround of opening the DNG files in Photoshop of those images I really like and that need the kind of adjustments that are done best starting with a RAW file.. I will wait to the very end of the warranty period or until I crash or have a disabling malfunction. Having too much fun to kill another month! The attached photo does not demonstrate an issue but it does document how much fun I am having! That being said, I really wish there were a solution.Bodhi Lighthouse and Drone.jpg

When I called DJI after receiving my "repaired" Mavic and noticed the DNG issue, they were quick to issue a return authorization and prepaid label. But they would not agree to any form of expedited handling even though they had just had it and burned through a month of my warranty and DJI Care. I decided to forego sending it in because I have the workaround of opening the DNG files in Photoshop of those images I really like and that need the kind of adjustments that are done best starting with a RAW file.. I will wait to the very end of the warranty period or until I crash or have a disabling malfunction. Having too much fun to kill another month! The attached photo does not demonstrate an issue but it does document how much fun I am having! That being said, I really wish there were a solution.View attachment 16509

Hi eorkin, Sorry for the late reply! I'm on my third "replacement" at the moment. I just received the new unit today. Still can't open RAW files!! WTF?? Weird thing is the files open for like a second in photos then black again - but nothing in preview!! Did you get anywhere with the issue?

Cheers man. Edit : Nice pic!! :)

Last edited:
Weird thing is the files open for like a second in photos then black again - but nothing in preview!! Did you get anywhere with the issue?

This is what mine does as well.
Sierra 10.12.6, Photos Version 2.0

The initial picture you see is the embedded JPEG. It goes black when it tries to render the full RAW file. I'm looking forward to a solution to this.

Reactions: RCKable

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shakes60