DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic repair question. Is it a scam ????

irshpiper

Reactions
So I dropped drone off at shop for fix after multiple attempts at replacing torn ribbon cable. Called back they said they used my 3rd party ribbon cable and camera is not working it’s making high pitch squeal. I asked if it could be 3 rd party ribbon cable and not camera and she said maybe. Soooo question is Do I pay the $349 for new camera or do I eat the $70 bucks labor and take it somewhere else. Mind you she said that 3rd partly ribbons work 50 % of the time and they don’t carry them anymore. Long question but don’t know what to do.

I change miself the flat ribbon cable and work like a charm.

I take it that dji care is not an option at this point?
No unfortunately I didn’t sign up for it. I just don’t want to eat the $70 labor only to take it to someone else and then tell me same thing. Guess it’s like a mechanic. No way to know if your getting scammed

I've worked on a number of gimbals and torn one completely apart to see what's inside. There is nothing in them that should be capable of making a high pitched squeal.

I wouldn't pay $349 for a new gimbal/camera assembly. Eat the $70, get your drone back from that shop and send it to @Thunderdrones. I'm sure he will give you a much better deal.

"Called back they said they used my 3rd party ribbon cable"
I'm reading that YOU supplied the repair shop a 3rd party cable?
If so than you were not scammed. They installed the part as requested an deserve to be payed for the service.

I think they were wrong if they didn't explain to you that because you are supplying the part that's all they are doing is replacing a part and not repairing anything.
They don't sound like they know what they are doing and you should try somewhere else.

Thank you for mentioning me @JeepDSL and @Top Hat.

The squeal that you are hearing is most likely from one of more of the 3 motors in the gimbal motor assembly. Replacing the ribbon cable wont help and you will probably get a gimbal obstructed error message. You will need a new gimbal motor assembly installed, and maybe a ribbon cable that you can count on, otherwise the motor assembly wont work. After I install a motor assembly, I always make sure there are no error messages and the gimbal performs as it did when new.

I will send the OP a PM. Thanks again guys for the mention.

"Called back they said they used my 3rd party ribbon cable"
I'm reading that YOU supplied the repair shop a 3rd party cable?
If so than you were not scammed. They installed the part as requested an deserve to be payed for the service.

I think they were wrong if they didn't explain to you that because you are supplying the part that's all they are doing is replacing a part and not repairing anything.
They don't sound like they know what they are doing and you should try somewhere else.
Thanks
Thank you for mentioning me @JeepDSL and @Top Hat.

The squeal that you are hearing is most likely from one of more of the 3 motors in the gimbal motor assembly. Replacing the ribbon cable wont help and you will probably get a gimbal obstructed error message. You will need a new gimbal motor assembly installed, and maybe a ribbon cable that you can count on, otherwise the motor assembly wont work. After I install a motor assembly, I always make sure there are no error messages and the gimbal performs as it did when new.

I will send the OP a PM. Thanks again guys for the mention.
Thanks so much. I’ll look for your message. Thanks everyone

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crazy007