DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Roof Inspection

grizzard

Reactions
I did this yesterday while we had a little sunshine. This is a church roof that may need some maintenance. I recorded at 2.7K @ 30 fps / ND8 Filter /Manual / AFC. I couldn't remember if I checked to see if the Obstacle Avoidance was on (the Mavic just did a firmware update and lost most of my settings) so I recorded so I could use Digital Zoom which would lose some detail. After I get a little more confidence in, I would probably record at 4K on a bright day, and fly in close to view suspect areas. I used Yaw as slow as possible for smoother flow and then did a 2x speed in the editor (Filmora) in some of the repetitious areas and at 60 fps (which may or may not benefit the recording) but at 2x just to speed things up. Still ... that did not cause any jitter. If it was ok at 1x then 2x does not seem to worsen anything ... I also upped the saturation/brightness/contrast just a slight amount.

Zion Roof.mp4

A good way to go about this in the future would be to fly the Mavic to one side far edge of the roof (just past the edge) rotate the Mavic to point towards the other end of the roof tiles. Then switch into Course Lock Mode for that direction of travel.
Then rotate the Mavic to face the roof tiles and position the camera's gimbal angle where you want it to capture the roof tiles. Press the Video record button and just push the right stick forward. The Mavic will fly in the direction of the other end of the roof tiles all the while the camera stays positioned at the roof tiles.

Reactions: grizzard
A good way to go about this in the future would be to fly the Mavic to one side far edge of the roof (just past the edge) rotate the Mavic to point towards the other end of the roof tiles. Then switch into Course Lock Mode for that direction of travel.
Then rotate the Mavic to face the roof tiles and position the camera's gimbal angle where you want it to capture the roof tiles. Press the Video record button and just push the right stick forward. The Mavic will fly in the direction of the other end of the roof tiles all the while the camera stays positioned at the roof tiles.
Excellent Idea ! I have not tried Course Mode but now I am anxious to try it. I am thinking of several things to consider ... after crossing over the top and turning to the Course Lock direction that will alert me to any obstacles at the other end, and when I turn to face the shingles I will need to be out of range of the Obstacle Avoidance sensors. 15' I think. Then focus, hit record and move slowly! Great Idea ... thanks!

Yup. Since the front of the Mavic is still pointing straight ahead it will detect any obstacles and avoid if you have it set to do so even though the camera will be pointed at a right angle of the direction of travel.

Try Course Lock in an open field first so you can get the hang of the steps to take to initiate , fly, and terminate the mode. Always better to try and master it before using on a project.

So, did they decide to replace the roof? That mossy pitch looks a little sketchy!

So, did they decide to replace the roof? That mossy pitch looks a little sketchy!
The Trustees have not seen the video yet and it's an expensive project but I think they will have to at least plan for it. I noticed the north side gutters are growing too. Maybe I could use my Mavic and drop a load of wild flowers there? :D Hoping to get another chance to do what BD0G suggests.

Reactions: Robert Mitchell
Yup. Since the front of the Mavic is still pointing straight ahead it will detect any obstacles and avoid if you have it set to do so even though the camera will be pointed at a right angle of the direction of travel.

Try Course Lock in an open field first so you can get the hang of the steps to take to initiate , fly, and terminate the mode. Always better to try and master it before using on a project.
That I will do .... just watched a YouTube video of it and I'm anxious to practice ... thanks again.

The Trustees have not seen the video yet and it's an expensive project but I think they will have to at least plan for it. I noticed the north side gutters are growing too. Maybe I could use my Mavic and drop a load of wild flowers there? :D Hoping to get another chance to do what BD0G suggests.
I applaud your efforts. Good to see these being put to great practical purposes.

Reactions: grizzard and BD0G

If I understand what you are trying to say here, you are incorrect. In Course lock mode the aircraft moves in the course direction. To keep the camera pointed at the shingles, the aircraft yaws and the aircraft moves sideways. The Mavic does not have a 360 degree gimbal (the gimbal doesn't pan). The aircraft front has to point the direction of the camera. Thus the front obstacle sensors may not be pointed in the direction of travel when using course lock.

If I understand what you are trying to say here, you are incorrect. In Course lock mode the aircraft moves in the course direction. To keep the camera pointed at the shingles, the aircraft yaws and the aircraft moves sideways. The Mavic does not have a 360 degree gimbal (the gimbal doesn't pan). The aircraft front has to point the direction of the camera. Thus the front obstacle sensors may not be pointed in the direction of travel when using course lock.

Yes. Thats right. Aircraft and Camera same direction.
Apologies

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Philip Chura