DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Shot Down

I just had a conversation with my wife about drones and privacy. I don't have an issue with a drone passing over my property at 300 or more feet but to linger lower I would have a problem with that. I like to compare with Google maps, basically Google gets away with photographing my property so I guess a drone can also. I know that I shouldn't be a hypocrite but I photograph my neighbors property mostly to see how far along their pot plants are doing. Last week I did recon on one of my neighbors property because he wanted me to keep an eye on it while he was away for several days. The drone does some work though, I check gutters with it and just recently it helped me put a choker rope on a snag. Just met one of my to dos with it, photograph the cell tower that supplies my cell phone and my Internet about a mile away. Also handy to check the Grants Pass weather looking over the mountains.

MOCJ3sI.jpg

3JKWTnD.jpg

Reactions: cderoche and Phlier
Someone shot at my mavic a few weeks ago when I heard the shots I put it into sport mode and headed home, I looked at the video but did not see anything, I was up 200 feet

I wonder what they hit after they missed your Mavic. Morons, f'ing morons.[/QUOTE]

Just saw on the news that a Mavic Pro was shot down. Owner showed where the bullet went in the front just above the camera and the camera was dangling by it's wires. Also showed a still from the video he was recording showing the person pointing the gun at the Mavic. This was in Medford Oregun.

Drone shot down over Jackson County off-roading park
First, I'm sadden by the owners loss. But seriously, LOLx10! Great shot AND right between the eyes!

I had 1 of my neighbors who owns a horse farm threaten to shoot my Mavic down because it was scaring the horses. Now I was in Sport mode at the time of flight and was about 200ft up doing big circles in the skies, just imagining that I was in a race ( with myself. Lol)... I had already stopped flying when he came over and threatened me. I wanted to pummel the dude but instead I used my head ( for something besides a punching bag) and informed him that if he does that I will have him arrested and he would be buying me another Mavic. Nowadays, I stay away from the horse farm because I wasn't trying to piss anyone off in the first place . Just enjoy the scenery at a few hundred feet . I find that the general public is a mix of people on both sides of the situation. Most of the time I feel the need to show people what the camera can do, and what isn't possible. When I show and inform people about drones they usually walk away interested instead of being negative Nancys.

There will be exceptions to what is considered a lawful reason to shoot down a drone, but the FAA still defines a drone as an aircraft and shooting it down is a felony,' Joseph Lamonaca of the National and International Aviation Law Firm and appointed SafetyTeam Representative of the FAA, told DailyMail.com.

'The major issue with this law is that anyone who just threatens to shoot down a drone could get five years in prison.'

'That means, telling your neighbor that you are going to shoot down their drone can put you in jail.'

Reactions: cderoche
People are over the top lol. Don’t give the comments of that video a read unless you want a headache. Article says the guy thought the truck got stuck, still pretty screwed up to fire a shot (some saying pellet but it passed through the mavic?) at something that wasn’t a for sure target up in the air. Nice shot though... drone seemed to mind it own mainly IMO. Tell me if I’m wrong

The pellet guns of today far surpass our old Benjamins 30+ years ago ;)
Gamo Varmint Hunter 1200 fps .177 cal Tactical Air Rifle w/Scope, Laser, & Light | Spring piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot

Article didn't say what kind he had. Just speculating. But at that low altitude and close distance probably wasn't hard to hit since he was basically hovering.

Reactions: BigAl07
the comments left on that article make for some truly disappointing reading.

They seem to think "this is intrusive in my mind=I have right to shoot it down".
I have a unknown intrusive black cat who far too often travels through my garden and makes a mess on my lawn... yet somehow I have never considered killing this unwelcome pest. strange that. lol.

They seem to think "feelings=rights"

Yeah I know right. I wonder how someone would feel if they were sitting in front of me at a concert and constantly taking selfies (it happened) and I felt the right to shoot their phone out of their hands because my privacy was invaded. At least the phone wouldn't come crashing down from a dangerous altitude :rolleyes:

Reactions: Pathogen
Jayzus - that was depressing. A perfect example of how society is turning into ravening animals online.

Hence the term keyboard warriors..... I'm always amazed at how harsh people can be online. I wonder if they are that harsh to people in real life?

Reactions: geevee
After my original MP was stolen a few months ago, I bought a wonderful, second hand P4P. I live in a rural area where the sounds from rifles and shotguns are constant from October till February. I decided pretty quickly that the P4P is just too loud and tempting a target, so I’ve sold it and got another MP (which arrived today - yay!). Of course there’s no guarantees against the MP being taken out, but I’ll do whatever I can to minimise the chances.

Upgrade to the platinum props you'll be pleased with even less noise.

Achoker rope is a rope tied into a slip knot placed around a tree, the more you pull it the tighter it gets on the tree. A snag is a dead tree.
Depends wehere you are - here downunder (Australia | New Zealand), a snag is also slang for saussage...

Oh and i remember something about the dude getting a visit from the authorities shortly after!

Reactions: MrsTreat
Gamo Varmint Hunter 1200 fps .177 cal Tactical Air Rifle w/Scope, Laser, & Light | Spring piston Air Rifle | Airgun Depot

Article didn't say what kind he had. Just speculating. But at that low altitude and close distance probably wasn't hard to hit since he was basically hovering.

Back in the 80's when I was in college, one of my roommates had a .177 single-shot pump action pellet rifle with a scope on it...if you gave it 15-20 pumps, that thing was very accurate up to about 30 yards or so. As you indicate, today's pellet guns are much better...

Wonder how long it will be until DJI or some vendor starts offering a DJI Mavic Armor kit for defense against ground fire?

I would have a problem with someone hovering over my property or flying low, then again a toy drone one might not want to go too high with it, but flying 200 plus feet off the ground, the only thing I see good from this height is who lets their pool go green, and who has pools, helps with my pool business, then again I'm not taking on new customers, and I'm not reporting anyone either, just enjoying flying.

Back in the 80's when I was in college, one of my roommates had a .177 single-shot pump action pellet rifle with a scope on it...if you gave it 15-20 pumps, that thing was very accurate up to about 30 yards or so. As you indicate, today's pellet guns are much better...

Don't get me wrong my Benjamin .177 with 10 pumps and when it was brand new could put a steel BB through a 5/8" fence board with ease at close range. I think it was 400-500fps if I remember right. Maybe 600 tops.

Bingo!! I've got a pretty serious pellet rifle (also .177cal as the one used in the incident) and it's very powerful and accurate. I've got the "Green Dot Laser" sighted in around 50yards.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas