DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

mavic signing off: 64 hours, 1507km, 277 flights

mpa

Reactions
Hi Guys

Today my Mavic decided to call it a day and has been lost forever.

After a pretty routine flight on my first battery I took it down and fitted my second battery, after about 5 minutes in the air the video feed began to vibrate violently from side to side up and down, I have never seen this before, even with no input into the controller it continued to do it (at this point in time I was sitting around 100m height and 300 m in distance, after about 2 minutes later I hit the Return to Home button on the controller and the drone began to move towards me. After it reached the return to home point at around 50 m away from me I had it in sight and it seemed normal and stable i.e it didn't appear to wildly rotate in a way a lost a prop or motor would behave. At this point in time I assumed it was only a gimbal issue and not a critical fault, it began to descend as per the RTH program. I cancelled the RTH to bring it in closer to me however it appeared to not respond correctly to my controller inputs. It appeared to perform large circles while maintaining height. Suddenly from my line of sight it appeared to descend faster than usual while still doing the large loops. Visually it still appeared to be still pretty stable. At this point in time it had dropped below the tree line and the video feed shows it spiraling into the river albeit un-retrievable .

See below for the final moments (its heart breaking watching this over and over!)

Iv had my Mavic for just over 12 months, It had done 64 hours, 1507km (936mi), 277 flights. It had never seen a crash and had been treated like a commercial jet, with pre flight checks and inspection of props and motor temps every month. Before it decided to fly away it was in immaculate condition and looked brand new.

While I racked my brain on how this could occur I thought back to the countless threads I have read over the past 12 months about other people loosing there drones generally come to the conclusion that it was a preventable incidents i.e pilot error , use of non oem props, modifications etc. these where great reads but I’d thought would never happen to me.

After several hours of allowing it to sinking in id conceded that no amount of deliberation can bring the Mavic back although it had brought me countless hours of joy and a year of memories there is still a part of me being frustrated for not bringing it down sooner (where it could have been retrieved on dry land) and not knowing what the root cause was. However the Mavic is at the end of the day a piece of electronics just like phones ,tvs and computers we have around the house, they do have a finite life.

I’d hate to think this is a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) statistic – just ~60 hours – but it would be quiet interesting to know what the actual Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) is for a Mavic and what the experience others have had (provided they have not had prior damage or been in crashes).

Nonetheless my mavic had flown an impressive distance and had been flawless up until now. It is now the time to move on.

Cheers all

Attachments

• boo.gif
    boo.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 657
Very sorry for your loss. Do you have flight logs to see if DJI can replace? I guess less than $1/km of fun isn’t too bad. Just wait for Mavic 2?

Alot of thoughts crossed my mind and $1/km was one of them! then i felt depressed. :(;)

from what iv read over and over on this forum is that DJI needs to have the dfective mavic for a mavic replacement. so i dont think iv got much hope.
I guess the looking at the bright side that it didnt do any damage or hit anyone.

I'm very sorry for your loss, that is heartbreaking. Try to remember the good times the two of you had and not dwell on his final moments. I know Mavic 2 is coming soon but that could be a while and you likely already own all of batteries, controller and misc. accessories. Maybe just pick up the bird alone? I have seen them both used in like new condition and new for good deals lately. Tough call. Hang in there my friend and drone on!

With that many hours and km logged, I hope you service your drone regularly to check for signs of failure. Sorry for your loss.

Sorry to hear about your Bird. This is the reason why I purchased State Farm insurance.

Sorry to hear, I know it’s a tough loss monetarily and lost future opportunities.

Let us know which direction you choose from here 1) replace with existing Mavic Pro model new, used, or refurb; 2) buy Mavic Air 3) what for Mavic Pro 2 4) purchase another model.

You’ve obviously had some great adventures so once you’ve come to grips with this loss the adventure must continue.

We will fly a missing man formation for you.

Mavic is pretty reliable. It’s the DJI Go App that can be a pain.

You can still provide control inputs to Mavic when RTH is activated. I’ll do it when I want to side step to a different landing area.

Flyaways, and sudden death falls from the sky are the only thing that scares me. From what I’ve seen on this forum it appears to be very rare events.

Everything will fail in time.

Reactions: DroningONN
I am aproaching the 1500km mark. Never crashed once...

It would be interesting to know what was the cause of the fall...
Maybe you hit something? A bird?

Sorry to hear about that MPA. I know you had her a long time and she flew really well up until that last flight.
My best guess would be the compass failed or a motor just packed up and started to seize. Anyway either wait on the Mav2 or pickup a used Mav Pro for cheap.

Rob

Reactions: ZUCSTA
Hi Guys

After a pretty routine flight on my first battery I took it down and fitted my second battery, after about 5 minutes in the air the video feed began to vibrate violently from side to side up and down, I have never seen this before, even with no input into the controller it continued to do it (at this point in time I was sitting around 100m height and 300 m in distance, after about 2 minutes later I hit the Return to Home button on the controller and the drone began to move towards me. After it reached the return to home point at around 50 m away from me I had it in sight and it seemed normal and stable i.e it didn't appear to wildly rotate in a way a lost a prop or motor would behave. At this point in time I assumed it was only a gimbal issue and not a critical fault, it began to descend as per the RTH program. I cancelled the RTH to bring it in closer to me however it appeared to not respond correctly to my controller inputs. It appeared to perform large circles while maintaining height. Suddenly from my line of sight it appeared to descend faster than usual while still doing the large loops. Visually it still appeared to be still pretty stable. At this point in time it had dropped below the tree line and the video feed shows it spiraling into the river albeit un-retrievable .

See below for the final moments (its heart breaking watching this over and over!)

Iv had my Mavic for just over 12 months, It had done 64 hours, 1507km (936mi), 277 flights. It had never seen a crash and had been treated like a commercial jet, with pre flight checks and inspection of props and motor temps every month. Before it decided to fly away it was in immaculate condition and looked brand new.

While I racked my brain on how this could occur I thought back to the countless threads I have read over the past 12 months about other people loosing there drones generally come to the conclusion that it was a preventable incidents i.e pilot error , use of non oem props, modifications etc. these where great reads but I’d thought would never happen to me.

After several hours of allowing it to sinking in id conceded that no amount of deliberation can bring the Mavic back although it had brought me countless hours of joy and a year of memories there is still a part of me being frustrated for not bringing it down sooner (where it could have been retrieved on dry land) and not knowing what the root cause was. However the Mavic is at the end of the day a piece of electronics just like phones ,tvs and computers we have around the house, they do have a finite life.

I’d hate to think this is a Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) statistic – just ~60 hours – but it would be quiet interesting to know what the actual Mean Time Between Failures (MTBF) is for a Mavic and what the experience others have had (provided they have not had prior damage or been in crashes).

Nonetheless my mavic had flown an impressive distance and had been flawless up until now. It is now the time to move on.

Cheers all
If you want to know what happened (I get the sense that maybe you don't) you could retrieve the .DAT from the tablet. Look here to see how to retrieve the .DAT.

Reactions: kakao and samkar
Hi Guys

Cheers all
Oh man that sucks I just lost my P3S a week ago today and started with my Mavic Pro today

Do let us know what you may find out as well as what your intentions are for further flying.
Best of luck....

Reactions: Huge Bama Fan
MPs — I join the rest of our community and am very sorry for your loss! I’m not sure that I’d be that logical if either of my birds were lost to me.

I hope you’ll fly again, very soon.

Definitely depressing event, but I hope you’ll find out what happened and post back here when you do.

I also hope you go with another soon, because I just don’t think I could go through life knowing I couldn’t fly again.

Interested to see what is on the flight data as that may give some clues as to what happened.

If you want to know what happened (I get the sense that maybe you don't) you could retrieve the .DAT from the tablet. Look here to see how to retrieve the .DAT.

Sorry for your loss, we really want to know what exactly went wrong.

Yesterday I was flying my daughter's Visuo XS809HW

The wind was on and off, not that strong, but the drone is not powerful either.

The wind took it out of the RC's range, went over some houses and disappeared for good. All this happened within seconds.

I still have that bitter taste in my mouth .. I still feel terrible.

:mad:

Hi Guys

Cheers all
You have Nothing to lose by sending them that flight record and the above explanation matey. You may be Lucky in some way shape or form. Just don't mention the Need for them to have the drone back .Sometimes to much info doesn't work in your favour. In any case ,The experience and pics you have are priceless.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliassmith02