DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic "Smart" Batteries

Flawless

Reactions
As we all know, the batteries used by the Mavic are "smart", in that they can:

• Monitor themselves, including current, voltage, temperature, etc.
  • Detect and interface with devices, and supply that information to them
  • Discharge themselves over a period of time automatically
  • Know when they're outside normal temperature range, and adjust operation (refuse to charge if too hot, etc)
I've seen users on here flying in low temperatures - low enough that the operating temperature of the battery prior to flight is a concern. Once in the air, the battery will often keep itself warm through use. But before takeoff, it needs to be kept warm.

The batteries will get cozy warm during their pre-set automatic discharge - I was going to fly the other day, and noticed my Mavic was warm when I took it out of my bag. Having recently changed my discharge timer to 3 days, it had kicked in earlier than I am used to and started not long before I left the house.

If users were able to force-start that discharge or - even better - start a warm-up cycle, it would go a long way towards protecting batteries with a low-discharge period that warmed them up before use.

DJI - can you add a function to the battery firmware to offer a warm-up option?

If users were able to force-start that discharge or - even better - start a warm-up cycle, it would go a long way towards protecting batteries with a low-discharge period that warmed them up before use.
Or, you can just transport them to where you're flying in an inside coat pocket, or toss them in a soft-sided lunch tote with a hand warmer, either of which will keep the battery warm without depleting its charge.

Or, you can just transport them to where you're flying in an inside coat pocket, or toss them in a soft-sided lunch tote with a hand warmer, either of which will keep the battery warm without depleting its charge.

I transport my drone and batteries in a Manfrotto backpack - and it usually goes with me daily. A relatively small number of flights are planned in advance.

While I, personally, could get away with putting the batteries in my pockets prior to takeoff on a cold day, not everyone lives in such temperate climates.

While I, personally, could get away with putting the batteries in my pockets prior to takeoff on a cold day, not everyone lives in such temperate climates.
The temperature where I live is in the single digits right now. But keeping batteries in my inside coat pockets, as I wrote, against my body, keeps them warm enough to fly.

Reactions: Cheech Wizard
The temperature where I live is in the single digits right now. But keeping batteries in my inside coat pockets, as I wrote, against my body, keeps them warm enough to fly.

I'm well aware of what you wrote, and where you keep your batteries.

Were I to leave work and wish to fly in cold weather, I would then put the battery in the drone and let it idle for five minutes after arriving at the takeoff point. Meanwhile, the other batteries might be in my coat.

With a pre-flight warm-up, the battery could be in my bag warming itself up prior to me arriving.

Your argument seems to be that people should put them in their jackets because that's good enough for you.

My argument is that with a firmware update, you could stick them wherever you want.

Surely it's going to be quicker to stick it in a pocket for 5 mins before flying.

Discharge cycle takes days so is probably quite a low wattage. Going to take a while to heat up a battery from cold.

Last edited:
I'm well aware of what you wrote, and where you keep your batteries.

Were I to leave work and wish to fly in cold weather, I would then put the battery in the drone and let it idle for five minutes after arriving at the takeoff point. Meanwhile, the other batteries might be in my coat.

With a pre-flight warm-up, the battery could be in my bag warming itself up prior to me arriving.

Your argument seems to be that people should put them in their jackets because that's good enough for you.

My argument is that with a firmware update, you could stick them wherever you want.
My argument is that with the Mavic being more than a year old and likely on the downside of its life cycle, you're likely not going to get what you want and will have to make do with current solutions.

Keeping a battery above 60 degrees to be ready to fly isn't rocket surgery.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicko222