DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Smart Controller

That's weird because I have not noticed any difference I have them both. Got my SmartController bundled and purchased a used dumb controller. I used the Dumbcontroller only once though so maybe if I flew it more I would notice a difference. The only down side to the SmartController for me is the cost. I don't think I would have purchased one independent the bundled package. Look for a used one?
Used ones still sell for almost the same price as the current Best Buy price, or I would jump on it. Never seen a used one under $600. If someone has one I would be interested under $600.

Jessops in the UK had em for 469, might be worth seeing how much shipping would cost. Although thinking about it, that's 600usd isn't it (or near enough for government work)

In fact scratch that, the deal isn't on any more, 579gbp now.

I also grabbed the SC from Best Buy and I love it for flying my M2P. Nice bright display, no taking.my OtterBox off the phone to fit it in the standard controller, etc.

An added benefit to me was being able to use it's internal browser to connect to my Google Photos page and upload my flight video via WiFi directly to my online albums.
I no longer have to fumble with memory chips, need my desktop, etc.

I'm glad I spent some of my kids inheritance.
YMMV

• Haha
Reactions: Donnie
I'd really like to understand what the advantages of the SC are. I flew one last month at a department-drone-fly-in in my area. Meh, the screen is good but small compared to a larger tablet.

IMHO, it is all about the software you can run on your 'device, IOS or android. I use an IPad and the software for various missions is very good. my understanding of the SC is that it is limited to android, and not even all the android apps are installable on it.

So why?

I'd really like to understand what the advantages of the SC are. I flew one last month at a department-drone-fly-in in my area. Meh, the screen is good but small compared to a larger tablet.

IMHO, it is all about the software you can run on your 'device, IOS or android. I use an IPad and the software for various missions is very good. my understanding of the SC is that it is limited to android, and not even all the android apps are installable on it.

So why?

I started with an iPhone 6 and it was too hard to see all that was going on, my eyesight is not perfect. I moved onto an iPad Air 2, it was bigger and easier to see, however it was still not a very clear pic with glare, it was bulky and took time to set up with wires etc. Used sun shades with both screens. I got sc it’s smaller than iPad Air, no wires, takes 30 secs to be ready to fly, it’s clear, sharp and for me the visibility is better than the previous screens. Ordered a neck strap, really no idea why DJI don’t at least include mounts. I don’t fly a lot but I fly spontaneously and the sc has increased my flying time / frequency. Probably should have waited and bought the zoom with the sc, but at £463, I can get a bit back if I sell old controller perhaps. I was a bit apprehensive about android having never used it but it works for go4 and litchi, I don’t see a need for any other software at the moment on the sc, I have other software on my iPad Pro 11 for editing etc.

Reactions: ff22

So why?

For me it's the ability to turn on, no cables, have a 1000 nit screen, and not have to mess around with the tablet. I still fly my P4 with the iPad 10.5 inch pro, but I have found I can easily handle the smaller screen on the SC. It's brighter considerably than the iPad, 600nit or my iPhone 10x same brightness. The Android app now seems to have caught up to the iOS version, for a good while the apps seems to be different as the iOS version just seemed to have a more responsive feel and was more reliable to me. Only Android version I had used prior was Crystalsky, and I still don't feel that that version (even though it's current) responds as well as the Smart controller.

I miss the small screen on the Mavic controller however as it does give you basic info which could be used to help get back in case of a problem.

The Smart Controller seems to get a bit less distance than the stock controller, but not enough that it matters, especially with the new hobbyist rules in effect.

My CS 7.5 is buggy, still has screen freezes, and lockups, enough that I rarely use it. So far the SC has been just the opposite, very smooth to operate and no disconnects, lockups, or screen freezes. CS is also heavy, and just doesn't have the same ergonomics of the SC, with built in screen. Only time will tell as to durability, reliability, screen display and overall QA, as compared to a stock controller and Apple device.

As for the screen size, after using now for a couple of months, I find I prefer the screen on the SC over my 10.5 iPad pro. The DJIgo4 app seems to display a bit better, better detail, etc.

It's expensive, more now due to recent political issues, but it's still a good deal if you purchase it along with a drone, not as an extra controller.

Paul C

Reactions: ff22
I really wish I could justify the price of this thing... I've almost clicked buy on several instances. I just wish it had the range of the standard controller and operated on IOS.

Agreed the range is the big deal to me and that could be due to the iOS of Apple. It seems like DJI pushes Apple products anyways like automatically mounting the lightning cable on the controllers when they ship and putting Apple listed first. and many places that I’ve read it is much more compatible. so it’s a shame they had to make it android operated. I know it’s a super dream for them and Apple to pair up but it would be amazing if they did offer a iOS and droid os option.

Apple has always been very restrictive on this issue with both iOS and Mac OS. I don't know of any 3rd party device, that runs their OS native. it's always been this way with Apple, where they control OS and hardware.

As for the range, at least for me, they are pretty much the same, maybe 200 feet more with the standard controller. Range is so dependent on clear LOS.

Paul C

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair