DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Stuck High Up Tree! How I Got It Down! Crazy...

I think I'm most impressed that there are "Professional Tree Climbers"

In fairness, he is a professional tree remover. That then requires you to have all appropriate gear. So I called him a professional tree climber. Not likely what he would call himself. LOL.

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

It's a bit worrying knowing things like this happens. If you were indeed above all the trees and lost signal, according to the manual and DJI it should return to you at it's current height even if your RTH was set at 30M. Please keep us updated on the reason or cause that made your mavic descend and hit the tree.

It's a bit worrying knowing things like this happens. If you were indeed above all the trees and lost signal, according to the manual and DJI it should return to you at it's current height even if your RTH was set at 30M. Please keep us updated on the reason or cause that made your mavic descend and hit the tree.

I will. I have not had time to look at the above links. Hoping to get to Friday. And yes, totally agree, was definitely well above.

Okay. So I am now 2+ hours in trying to figure this out. The best I have been able to do is get the CSV file off the DJI app from flight records. Tried to upload that to the phantomhelp.com/logviewer/upload but get error.
Have not have any luck with connecting Mavic to my Mac using DJI assist. DJI assist works but just spins when trying to download the flight data and I believe I cleared that memory on the Mavic any way.
Is there a way for me to the info off the app? I thought I was good with the CSV file straight from the flight, which accessed through iTunes and then saved.

Any help appreciated! Thank you for all help up to now.

I see quite a few of these in the log, with the one below being the longest. Is it possible that it never RTH because the signal was never out for more than the preset allowed time but kept connecting and disconnecting instead? 9.1s is a long time to not have connection when you are trying to control an aircraft, I wonder if the RTH is set to kick in after 10s or something.

"Downlink Restored (after 0m 9.1s)"

Also, maybe the point you started having issues was when it hit the tree so it was already stuck and could not RTH?

Upon further looking and zooming in I see several circles being performed just before the crash. I am betting there is just enough elevation change between your take-off location and the crash location and those tree tops were about the same elevation as the drone and when doing those circles it got caught up in the tree.

Did the homeowner there allow you to get to the tree through his property or were they aware you were there? Just curious if the homeowner at that location was aware and maybe even had something to do with the crash since it was flying over their house.

Upon further looking and zooming in I see several circles being performed just before the crash. I am betting there is just enough elevation change between your take-off location and the crash location and those tree tops were about the same elevation as the drone and when doing those circles it got caught up in the tree.

Did the homeowner there allow you to get to the tree through his property or were they aware you were there? Just curious if the homeowner at that location was aware and maybe even had something to do with the crash since it was flying over their house.

If you look at the last pic I took that was from 280 ft. I was circling a friends house for a good shot. You can see how high 280 is from pic I posted earlier and is confirmed in the flight log as the height as well. Very flat, elevation at best 20 ft difference.
Strange.

If you look at the last pic I took that was from 280 ft. I was circling a friends house for a good shot. You can see how high 280 is from pic I posted earlier and is confirmed in the flight log as the height as well. Very flat, elevation at best 20 ft difference.
Strange.

Yeah, not sure what to tell you about that. All that I can see by the data is the flight path showing a bunch of circles around a bunch of trees which leads me to believe it hit one of them, is it possible that you did lose connection and the default was set to hover instead of RTH? Just curious since the default RTH altitude of 30m was set as shown at the beginning of the log so maybe that setting was reset as well (although I thought the default was RTH so that is odd). Never know with these things though, that is why it is best to check them before each significant flight which I am sure you know (at least now :) ).

You could check the GPS coordinates for both locations to validate the altitudes, there should be a more detailed log somewhere showing GPS data so you can check that. I am not trying to say you are wrong but 100' in elevation difference may be very difficult to gauge over a 5,200' distance.

Yeah, not sure what to tell you about that. All that I can see by the data is the flight path showing a bunch of circles around a bunch of trees which leads me to believe it hit one of them, is it possible that you did lose connection and the default was set to hover instead of RTH? Just curious since the default RTH altitude of 30m was set as shown at the beginning of the log so maybe that setting was reset as well (although I thought the default was RTH so that is odd). Never know with these things though, that is why it is best to check them before each significant flight which I am sure you know (at least now :) ).

You could check the GPS coordinates for both locations to validate the altitudes, there should be a more detailed log somewhere showing GPS data so you can check that. I am not trying to say you are wrong but 100' in elevation difference may be very difficult to gauge over a 5,200' distance.

First, thank you trying to help. You can see where I took the pic in this map and then the pic itself. I stayed at that altitude way way above any tree line.
335e0ea4b17859b175a85e3009496b30.jpg
7634842cb9e8f90fb39cd81864a61f4e.jpg

The idea about the hovering (though was for sure set to RTH checked first thing once got it back) is if it was hovering I got to the general location when it reconnected at 63% battery. I could not get GPS because were it landed in the tree was next to a large full metal 4 car barn.

As soon as I realized it was not coming home I took off in my truck. I had waited a few minutes knowing if it was coming back I would reconnect quickly. Which is what should of happened.

Arghhh! Again appreciate all your thoughts.

First, thank you trying to help. You can see where I took the pic in this map and then the pic itself. I stayed at that altitude way way above any tree line.
335e0ea4b17859b175a85e3009496b30.jpg
7634842cb9e8f90fb39cd81864a61f4e.jpg

The idea about the hovering (though was for sure set to RTH) is if it was hovering I got to the general location when it reconnected at 63% battery. I could not get GPS because were it landed in the tree was next to a large full metal 4 car barn.

As soon as I realized it was not coming home I took off in my truck. I had waited a few minutes knowing if it was coming back I would reconnect quickly. Which is what should of happened.

Arghhh! Again appreciate all your thoughts.

Yep, no problem. I am mostly thinking out loud anyway. It is hard to diagnose with what we have and like you said it does appear to be a mystery but there surely has to be some explanation. I am thinking the full logs will provide more details as it should show much more detail with regards to what it thought the stick inputs were and other things you cannot tell from the basic logs. I am not sure where to get those logs as I have not looked into it yet, I just know that there were very detailed logs I could get from my Yuneec so I would assume DJI has something similar.

Off-topic but I am kinda surprised by the number of homes there that do not have fences around at least the back yard (based on the map view in the log), where is this?

Off-topic but I am kinda surprised by the number of homes there that do not have fences around at least the back yard (based on the map view in the log), where is this?

True not many fences. Lots of "rules" in many developments in my city. Not by the city, but the HOA's. No shortage of invisible fences, it's easier. Don't need approval for that and cheaper.

A
I think I'm most impressed that there are "Professional Tree Climbers"

Ah well there are those. Being an ISA certified arborist my self, I had to resort to a "Professional Tree Climber "when I lost my Phantom 3 Pro in my neighbors 63' Silver Maple. Hired one of those young highly skilled kids that climb like a monkey and he had it down in 10 minutes. Only cost me $100.00, and yes he was Professional!
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

A new business opportunity is raising: "Professional Tree Climber & Drone Rescue Service"
I brought that up at the last National Tree Care meeting that had a drone seminar. They were talking about the ways to make money with drones for arborists. I told them to add a new category of "drone recovery". I thought it was new and novel since I had to resort to it myself and I'm an arborist. But when I came back home and asked some of my fellow arborists, several had already done this and liked the easy money. Beats lugging a chain saw, belt, sling, rope, hand saw etc. etc. up a tree.
Chip D - Omaha, Ne

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AVI Drones