DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic Stuck High Up Tree! How I Got It Down! Crazy...

HelloNasty1

Reactions
Well, first I will state this was my fault, not Mavic.
I have been lazy and not calibrated downward sensor warning for a few flights. I was 5200 feet away, 300 feet up, high wind warnings (I almost always get that). Then weak signal warning, then loss of connection. Remote would not reconnect, though tried.

I hopped in my truck and went to last known location. I was able to reconnect, but would not update GPS, needed calibration in addition to the downward sensor waning? The camera was working and had 66% battery. This is what confuses me, why did it not RTH? It has once before, so I know it works and had that turned on (double checked after retrieval)

Thankfully camera worked. I got very lucky was able to drive until I saw my truck come into view. I got outta my truck pointed my arm in the air like a compass until I was pointing directly at drone from my remote phone view. Distance did not move closer since needed calibration. Turns out it was about 75 up, next to a metal barn! Hence calibration issue. Crazy I was able to find. Had it not landed in tree with the view pictured below, likely would. It of found it. Only 5200 out, but many neighborhoods and woods away.

It spent the night there last night. Hired a professional tree climber for $100!!! Stoked about that. I had read all types of ways to get from tree, tried some for a few hours then it got dark. That is when tree climber came to mind.

My Mistakes:
- Not calibrating downward sensors as I should have
- Ignoring weak signal
- Ignoring high wind (though pretty typical)

Not My Mistake?
- Why no RTH as it had done once prior when I lost connection. Had plenty of battery, only 7ish min into flight.

I blame myself, I got a little over confident from prior Mavic flight experiences. I am one lucky dude to have her back. Just some broken propellers, have backups [emoji1360]
b3aa86a06b9561b6dd326e1d2b3808ea.jpg

View of how high up.
5fe59271d952079249b901f10ec7b40e.jpg

Zoomed pic.
f4cab272353a9aeea9a462532239addc.jpg

Tree Climber heading up!
202a979a69bd184a61e2d7e0dfd6b066.jpg

44eeb83269acc4214f3e964a61b52581.jpg

cf283837d074d78f8d13d87f7ba388c7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using MavicPilots

Tree looks pretty high! 30M RTH altitude is 98 feet, so i guess if the tree was on higher ground to you it may have RTH into it! I know you said you were 300' up, but how high is ground the tree is on, relative to your home point?

Got it back though which is the main thing!

Well, first I will state this was my fault, not Mavic.
I have been lazy and not calibrated downward sensor warning for a few flights. I was 5200 feet away, 300 feet up, high wind warnings (I almost always get that). Then weak signal warning, then loss of connection. Remote would not reconnect, though tried.

I hopped in my truck and went to last known location. I was able to reconnect, but would not update GPS, needed calibration in addition to the downward sensor waning? The camera was working and had 66% battery. This is what confuses me, why did it not RTH? It has once before, so I know it works and had that turned on (double checked after retrieval)

Thankfully camera worked. I got very lucky was able to drive until I saw my truck come into view. I got outta my truck pointed my arm in the air like a compass until I was pointing directly at drone from my remote phone view. Distance did not move closer since needed calibration. Turns out it was about 75 up, next to a metal barn! Hence calibration issue. Crazy I was able to find. Had it not landed in tree with the view pictured below, likely would. It of found it. Only 5200 out, but many neighborhoods and woods away.

It spent the night there last night. Hired a professional tree climber for $100!!! Stoked about that. I had read all types of ways to get from tree, tried some for a few hours then it got dark. That is when tree climber came to mind.

My Mistakes:
- Not calibrating downward sensors as I should have
- Ignoring weak signal
- Ignoring high wind (though pretty typical)

Not My Mistake?
- Why no RTH as it had done once prior when I lost connection. Had plenty of battery, only 7ish min into flight.

I blame myself, I got a little over confident from prior Mavic flight experiences. I am one lucky dude to have her back. Just some broken propellers, have backups
emoji1360.png

b3aa86a06b9561b6dd326e1d2b3808ea.jpg

View of how high up.
5fe59271d952079249b901f10ec7b40e.jpg

Zoomed pic.
f4cab272353a9aeea9a462532239addc.jpg

Tree Climber heading up!
202a979a69bd184a61e2d7e0dfd6b066.jpg

44eeb83269acc4214f3e964a61b52581.jpg

cf283837d074d78f8d13d87f7ba388c7.jpg

How high were you when it lost contact? Were you 5K ft & only 78 ft high?

I'm not sure what happened but downward sensors had nothing to do with it.
My guess would be it lost contact with controller and hovered rather than returned until battery went down.
A possible reason is obstacle avoidance being tricked by facing sun when it did try to RTH?
It would just stop in that case.

Tree looks pretty high! 30M RTH altitude is 98 feet, so i guess if the tree was on higher ground to you it may have RTH into it! I know you said you were 300' up, but how high is ground the tree is on, relative to your home point?

Got it back though which is the main thing!

I bet your right! After last update I think it defaulted me to 30M. I had set for 50M prior. I bet it was heading back and got hung up! Dang I'm an idiot....
It likely dropped altitude from 288 feet (last height) to 30M (RTH setting) and hit the tree branches, fell a bit further down and got snagged.
Man I am sooo lucky!

Fairly certain rth will not decend, only accend for rth until over home spot. So if rth is set to 20m and your at 30m it will just come home at 30m then land.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using MavicPilots mobile app

Straight from the manual:
If Return to Home (RTH),
1. It will return to home at the current altitude if flying at or above the RTH altitude.

2. It will ascend to the RTH altitude if flying below it.

So if you were flying at 300', it should of stayed at 300' during the RTH. It would not decend to your RTH height, it only ascend to your set height if BELOW it.

Reactions: RallySoob
I bet your right! After last update I think it defaulted me to 30M. I had set for 50M prior. I bet it was heading back and got hung up! Dang I'm an idiot....
It likely dropped altitude from 288 feet (last height) to 30M (RTH setting) and hit the tree branches, fell a bit further down and got snagged.
Man I am sooo lucky!

This may be a good one to let the experts figure out what happened from the flight file.

Hmmmmmm. Will have to figure out how to get flight file. Valid points. Here is a snap shot of file moment I lost signal.
a87444b1051f1255620f7f0c736ba39f.jpg

Hmmmmmm. Will have to figure out how to get flight file. Valid points. Here is a snap shot of file moment I lost signal.
a87444b1051f1255620f7f0c736ba39f.jpg

If you click on the heading for members/ notable members then see if msinger thinks its worth looking at your file. It will take a little work from you to download the files but msinger can walk you thru it.

Reactions: RallySoob
RTH will not descend, but it's highly likely the ground was higher that far away where the tree was than at your home point. Don't forget all heights are relative to takeoff point, not relative to ground where the aircraft is.

Reactions: grizzard
RTH will not descend, but it's highly likely the ground was higher that far away where the tree was than at your home point. Don't forget all heights are relative to takeoff point, not relative to ground where the aircraft is.

True. But very flat were I live. Here is the pic I took in the snapshot seen in my above pic just before I lost connection. Well above, my height is likely double the tallest tree. I'm stumped.
64b3fcd7ecd4828cef8a5c514c927edb.jpg

If the aircraft did not have GPS signal it does not know how to return to the home point.

I have a couple pf close calls its scary. So leasson to myself always check your surroundings and if yoh dont know the area do not fly backwards pr sideways!!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slitsling69