DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am in Scarborough and Yup I am cooked now, My DJI mini 2 is stuck in a tree

Well we were unsuccessful today but I have not given up yet
It has not rained here yet and the weather report says Sunday 62 % chance
Like I was saying I live in a condo and it has a pool and today i was eyeing the aluminum pole with a large hook at the end
Well tomorrow i am going to contact the superintendent and explain my situation and ask him if he would let me use it to just nudge the branches and hopefully that will work
I will let you know the outcome
I hope he will be sympathetic
Sounds like "a properly equipped neighbor" to me!

"Your best bet is a properly equipped neighbor."

Sorry for your problem @Whiteeskimo.

I am new to droning and flew my Mini 3Pro into a tree on like my third flight. It was too high and too nasty to climb up, I was shooting some horses in the pasture and flying sidewise (knowing it was stupid), became disoriented (mostly because I didn't have the local map loaded and was filming at 2X), and flew right into the tree sideways. I could see the drone in the tree from my office window and after 3 days of stormy weather and very high winds could see the drone had come down. The horses were not very friendly though (one charged me multiple times) so rather than letting a horse stomp me to death, I waited four more days till they were in other end of the pasture. It had fallen to the ground and was easilty recoverable. I had turned it into DJI care immediately so when I recovered it, they had deactivated it, but despite being outdoors in the sun and heavy rains for a week, after a night in a baggie with rice it fired right up and did not even looked dammaged, these drones are amazing! DJI Care is GREAT! It is an excellent investment! Just had my second crash (indoors shooting a church bell tower looking for leaks, but it is another story, I did learn that when drones are 30' directly over you and stop flying you need to get out of the way pretty quickly), after snapping the body parts back together and changing out the props I think it will be fine (and I do still have the old drone for parts and for charging batteries). But, my friend made a comment to me that I thought was very profound, he said something like, "Some people are afraid to try anything so they don't do anything. Other people try to do a lot of interesting and exciting things and they have a lot of crashes but they do have fun and enjoy the experience."

Horses in the pasture b4 the crash-01.png

Drone Crash-01a-Drone in the tree.jpg

Last edited:
Well I have good news and of course some bad news
this morning i called to the the front desk and asked for the superintendent to please come to my unit
and i explained everything to her and asked if we could use the pole from the pool and she got it out from the pool and we went to the culprit tree
So the super (A Lady ) took the pole with a hook after extending it and shock the tree violently but i told her to pull down on the branch with long gentle strokes so as to not cancel out the previous one
And the tree started to shack and the drone came down but i was not fast enough as the sun was in my eyes and it landed on the edge of the grass and the asphalt on the rear extension arm and I can see that the body has been cracked were the screws connect the arm to the body
Any ways here are the pictures

Attachments

• 20230415_112540.jpg
    20230415_112540.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20230415_112521.jpg
    20230415_112521.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 24
  • Wow
Reactions: BoomerMark
I'm assuming you don't have DJI insurance?

That is probably repairable, although it may not be worth it. I would contact Omniview Tech, which is semi-local to you (they're in Mississauga).

I have used them for years, and they have always been reliable for repairs, sales, and general advice. Estimates are free, so you have nothing to lose.

Sorry to see that @Whiteeskimo. As a total noob, I am not sure what is involved, but pretty sure that DJI sells replacement parts for their drones, it may not be that difficult or that expensive to repair. Hopefully somebody else on the forum can provide recommendations on that. Looks like the damage is limited and I suspect your camera and gimble are not damaged.

Hello every one today i contacted the superintendent and asked to use the pool pole and we were successful
But unfortunately I was not able to catch it and it came down on the grass just next to the asphalt driveway
It did suffer from the fall even thou it was on the grass
I am enclosing some pictures and I have already contacted Omni view for repair
But I can see that the upper chassis has been damaged by the fall and are cracked

Attachments

• 20230415_112540.jpg
    20230415_112540.jpg
    738.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 20230415_112521.jpg
    20230415_112521.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm assuming you don't have DJI insurance?

That is probably repairable, although it may not be worth it. I would contact Omniview Tech, which is semi-local to you (they're in Mississauga).

I have used them for years, and they have always been reliable for repairs, sales, and general advice. Estimates are free, so you have nothing to lose.
thank you very much i have now contacted them today

Was just up near Scarborough this last week, wouldn't recommend it to tourists not a nice town I'm afraid to say. The castle was nice, but everything below it well er yeah. Sorry I didn't check the forum while on holiday else I'd have come along and helped you catch it. I completely forgot my drones, I would have attached a hook and fishing line to my Mavic Air 2.

Hello every one today i contacted the superintendent and asked to use the pool pole and we were successful
But unfortunately I was not able to catch it and it came down on the grass just next to the asphalt driveway
It did suffer from the fall even thou it was on the grass
I am enclosing some pictures and I have already contacted Omni view for repair
But I can see that the upper chassis has been damaged by the fall and are cracked
Even firemen put out a soft landing area to catch jumping rescuees!
Trying to hand catch a falling drone while looking up into the sun is a recipe for disaster. Seems like the preflight "drone rescue checklist" wasn't followed. Maybe that's how the drone ended up in the tree in the first place. A drone falling from 30 feet hits the ground at 30 mph! Hope you have Refresh!

Whiteeskimo as you appear not to reply to questions/offers, remind me not to reply the next time you post :)

This just sounds incredibly whiny and perhaps a TWIT (typing while intoxicated tonight) post. Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see where you offered to help in this thread. Don't take it personally if he, or anyone else, doesn't reply to you.

I think @patcarty2 was confusing the OPs location with Scarborough in the UK which he/she was only about 18 minutes drive from (Google maps). It would have made it less confusing if the OP would have at least put the country (Canada) in their profile.

Chris

I think @patcarty2 was confusing the OPs location with Scarborough in the UK which he/she was only about 18 minutes drive from (Google maps). It would have made it less confusing if the OP would have at least put the country (Canada) in their profile.

Chris
Well, they did put an intersection: Eglinton and Kingston Road. Which Google maps can't find in the English Scarborough…

Reactions: Chrislaf
This just sounds incredibly whiny and perhaps a TWIT (typing while intoxicated tonight) post. Perhaps I missed it but I didn't see where you offered to help in this thread. Don't take it personally if he, or anyone else, doesn't reply to you.
I'm thinking the OP was more likely the intoxicated one asking for help on an international forum of drone pilots to recover a drone in a tree in his back yard, when he only needed to talk to any friend or neighbor with access to a fishing pole! Turns out he even lives in a condominium complex with a full time maintenance person with access to all sorts of tools! Then, after finally talking to the maintenance person, days later, he tries to catch it by himself, next to concrete, with his bare hands, as it is falling from the tree at 30mph from 30 feet, while he is looking directly into the sun! Surprise! He couldn't see it, and it broke upon impact with the ground! He ignored all our timely good advice, and apparently only wanted sympathy.

Last edited:
Except it turns out that some of us actually live quite near him, and were able to recommend decent repair shops. And people here recommended what he actually tried.

Admittedly he didn't hire a tree service. In Toronto those are expensive — it would have been cheaper to buy a new drone.

Except it turns out that some of us actually live quite near him, and were able to recommend decent repair shops. And people here recommended what he actually tried.

Admittedly he didn't hire a tree service. In Toronto those are expensive — it would have been cheaper to buy a new drone.
Except he didn't need a drone pilot. He wanted someone with a fishing rod and reel, or a long pole, neither of which requires drone ownership. Anyone in his condo complex would have been a better help, and was, even though he wasted several says before even reaching out to them. However, unfortunately, he didn’t plan the recovery any better than his original flight. Both led to crashes.

Last edited:
Do you know someone that works in the Electrical field one of them might just have a "Hot Stick' ( very long p.v.c extendable pole) they are a little heavy to lug around but very useful in a pinch

Do you know someone that works in the Electrical field one of them might just have a "Hot Stick' ( very long p.v.c extendable pole) they are a little heavy to lug around but very useful in a pinch
Drone is already recovered.

Reactions: Hauptmann
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
volidas