DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Whelp, I up and gone and done did it

hedbonker

Reactions
I bought my Phantom 3 Pro in 2015 and it's been a great reliable tool for me. Yesterday the gimbal tilt wheel on the remote stopped working. Took it in to a local place that was willing to look at it and they said there was a failure in the drone itself and it was not worth the money to fix it. Well, I figured OK I got my money's worth out of the ole P3P and in 15 days it would need RID anyway...

So, I bought an Air 3 Fly More with RC-N2 as a replacement (after getting DJI to tell me that it has RID and is ready to go in that regard). My question is this: With my P3P I would calibrate the compass if I moved more than 5 miles or so from the location of the last calibration. Is this practice what I should follow with the Air 3 or have things changed?

Thanks so much!

Hello from the Crossroads of America hedbonker.

With my P3P I would calibrate the compass if I moved more than 5 miles or so from the location of the last calibration. Is this practice what I should follow with the Air 3 or have things changed?

Things have changed. 👍

The "calibration dance" is not needed unless told to do so in the app.

Welcome to the Forum. :cool:

Reactions: Krrr and hedbonker
That's great news! Thank you gentlemen!

Just as a matter of interest, did you try dragging a finger up and down the phone's screen to tilt the gimbal or setting C1 or C2 on the controller to tilt the gimbal? From memory those work and it would show where the fault lay.

Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum! We look forward to hearing from you!

As already stated, I only calibrate when suggested by the app/drone

Reactions: MA2 317
With my P3P I would calibrate the compass if I moved more than 5 miles or so from the location of the last calibration. Is this practice what I should follow with the Air 3 or have things changed?
I remember those days from P1, P2 and P3P - each time I'd fly in a different spot we had to calibrate. Glad those days are gone!

Reactions: MA2 317 and GFields
Just as a matter of interest, did you try dragging a finger up and down the phone's screen to tilt the gimbal or setting C1 or C2 on the controller to tilt the gimbal? From memory those work and it would show where the fault lay.
I did try to use the on-screen control but it was greyed out. The gimbal speed settings were all above 0. I did not see where you can assign it to C1/2 - The flip gimbal straight down and back again worked fine. I will have another look at the C1/2 assignments. Thanks!

I did try to use the on-screen control but it was greyed out. The gimbal speed settings were all above 0. I did not see where you can assign it to C1/2 - The flip gimbal straight down and back again worked fine. I will have another look at the C1/2 assignments. Thanks!
Your "gimbal flip" may be my C1/C2.

Your "gimbal flip" may be my C1/C2.
I just checked it and the only options for the gimbal are to flip the camera up/down or to set follow / FPV mode. That's it. I am tempted to run the battery in the remote all the way down to "reset" it and see if that does anything.

welcome to the forum

Reactions: MA2 317
Beware the app prompting you to do the calibration dance as it could be a sign the compass is close to some type of external magnetic force.

See more details here:
DJI Mavic Compass Calibration Guide

Well I finally found someone that knew how to reset the remote controller for the Phantom 3 Pro - Here is the sequence:

Turn the controller ON.
Press the C1 + C2 + Still Photo buttons, keep them pressed and TURN OFF the controller.
Then keep the C1 + C2 + Trigger (photo) buttons pressed and turn the controller back ON

After doing this, the gimbal control dial automagically returned to normal function! But I am keeping the Air 3 regardless :D

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_