DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 3 Ski Civetta zone , Col de Baldi above Alleghe Lake with near tree crash

Pacefast

Reactions
From a 4 day trip to Italy with a warning a thank you to DJI for OA and an amazing drone and a Question ?
I was trying to give the impression of the Rock sinking into the Forest tree line by dropping the drone with the tree slope Keeping my eye on the drone not the screen ! Optical illusion meant a near collision !
Operating at 5000 to 7000 feet ASL I was amazed that the Air 3 still climbed like a bat out of hell and here the Question !
The drone flies up to 48 mph at sea level ! Adjusted for TAS at 7000 feet it should be flying a fair bit quicker in thin air ! Anyone experimented on this ? I suppose up Mont Blanc you could try it way higher still
Any please enjoy ( my mistake ) 😎

Actually it will fly slower and react more sluggishly due to the air being less dense thus reducing the efficiency of the propellers.

There are many sources for learning about aeronautics. Sometimes the principles seem illogical until you study the science behind them.

Actually it will fly slower and react more sluggishly due to the air being less dense thus reducing the efficiency of the propellers.

There are many sources for learning about aeronautics. Sometimes the principles seem illogical until you study the science behind them.
I am an ATPL and
Captain on corporate jets for 23 years
Even light Aircraft like s single engine piston will lose power with altitude but gain more in TAS For instance a jet may indicate 250 Kts while its TAS is maybe 480 Kts
A Drone at 50 sea level would have a TAS of 57 roughly at 7000 feet
When we land at high altitude airports we will use a VRef on IAS but our toughdown speed will be in TAS so higher
Here is an interesting calculator

Reactions: DoomMeister
@Pacefast, thanks for getting me back to the books. It has been 40+ years since I went to ground school (couldn’t afford the flight school on an airman’s salary). I did miss your reference to TAS in your first post, my bad. Been a long time since using the flight calculator.

It would be interesting to see data from UAV manufacturers on performance specs at higher altitudes. I’m curious how much the reduced efficiency of the props in thinner air affects the attainable speed of the aircraft since they are the sole provider of lift on a quad.

@Pacefast, thanks for getting me back to the books. It has been 40+ years since I went to ground school (couldn’t afford the flight school on an airman’s salary). I did miss your reference to TAS in your first post, my bad. Been a long time since using the flight calculator.

It would be interesting to see data from UAV manufacturers on performance specs at higher altitudes. I’m curious how much the reduced efficiency of the props in thinner air affects the attainable speed of the aircraft since they are the sole provider of lift on a quad.
That s what got me thinking as at 6000 feet plus the drone seemed to climb at almost sea level rate ! I would have to climb it ground level to 400 feet time itand again do the same at 6000 to get a diminished climb rate !
I believe the drone has a service ceiling of 18000 feet so yes the prop lift / thrust will drop ! One plus is electric power does not drop ! Altogether very impressed with the Air 3 at 6000 next 12000 😎 Need Mont Blanc

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Olga