DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

I am in Scarborough and Yup I am cooked now, My DJI mini 2 is stuck in a tree

Hello and a happy beautiful spring day to lose my Mini 2 up in a tree about 30 feet or so
Theres a saying that gos like this
I was on the first battery and coming down because i was getting wind warnings and I was using the Drone mask 2 and with a combination of high winds and being disorientated
It blew into the tree
I stayed around and tried everything to start it but nothing and watching the video until the battery was zero
The video was working and i could zoom in but nothing more
I could not turn it off so I could try to restart it but it said that ( It needed the IMU re calibrated )
But I could not do that because the drone was upside down and in a tree
Like the saying goes ( TREES ARE DI-KS)
If someone in the Scarborough area Eglinton & Kingston road and has a long poll or rope or think you can help
I think that if we gave the tree a good shake that it may come down
I am 71 years old so I dont think I could climb it like I use to when I was a little youngster
Please do and thank you very much
The Local Fire Dept rescues CATS up in Trees....check with them, they may let you borrow and extension Pole with
a Cutter on the end. Doubt if it will extend 30ft. Ron in Dresden, ME with MA2 and Mini2

The Local Fire Dept rescues CATS up in Trees....check with them, they may let you borrow and extension Pole with
a Cutter on the end. Doubt if it will extend 30ft. Ron in Dresden, ME with MA2 and Mini2
Drone was already "recovered" when it fell to the ground and broke, when it was dislodged from the tree by the condo "Super using the condo pool pole, with the OP standing underneath looking up into the sun.

Hi.
I know I'm a bit late but in case of future problems.
Try tying fishing line to a DIY bow & arrow to get the distance/height you need. Bend on heavier twine/rope & feed through if branches are stout. Not good at catching either ! Maybe Duvet(s) for cushioning ?

Last edited:
Hi.
I know I'm a bit late but in case of future problems.
Try tying fishing line to a DIY bow & arrow to get the distance/height you need. Bend on heavier twine/rope & feed through if branches are stout.
He already had all the resources he needed readily at hand. He just needed to think "local" rather than "global." He lives in a condo complex with neighbors, a super, and a pool with a long enough pool pole. He finally asked the super to help him using the long pool pole. It worked to dislodge it, but he failed to plan the recovery of the falling drone any better than the flying of it initially. Because he was looking directly into the sun, he couldn't see the falling drone, and failed to catch it, and had no soft landing preparation below the tree. It smashed into the ground at 30mph, next to concrete, and broke. Hopefully he has Refresh. He's going to need it!

He already had all the resources he needed readily at hand. He just needed to think "local" rather than "global." He lives in a condo complex with neighbors, a super, and a pool with a long enough pool pole. He finally asked the super to help him using the long pool pole. It worked to dislodge it, but he failed to plan the recovery of the falling drone any better than the flying of it initially. Because he was looking directly into the sun, he couldn't see the falling drone, and failed to catch it, and had no soft landing preparation below the tree. It smashed into the ground at 30mph, next to concrete, and broke. Hopefully he has Refresh. He's going to need it!
I don't think he had refresh - that's why he sent it to Omniviewtech, a local DJI authorized repair facility. I'm curious to know what it cost to have it repaired and hope he posts again.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
Since this thread is pretty much off the rails, figured I'd address the post from @BoomerMark, about his horse issue. In case the collective here isn't aware, livestock, i,e. Cattle are very uninterested in a drone and are not easily spooked. However, horses, ostrich, etc., are extremely easy to spook and regularly run into pipe or barbed wire fences when this occurs, occasionally causing life threatening injuries to the animal.

Since our drone community has an ongoing PR issue with a balance of the populous, flying near livestock is just plain bad form and nothing you get on video is worth the bad press the flying community will get if an animal is injured. If you must fly in those areas, I highly recommend you do it at maximum altitude and don't loiter in those areas. This is coming from a guy who raised cattle and rode horses in the first 20 years of life, then flew EMS helos for the last 25 years and a lifetime of RC flying, so I've got insight for both sides of the issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: MS Coast
Since this thread is pretty much off the rails, figured I'd address the post from @BoomerMark, about his horse issue. In case the collective here isn't aware, livestock, i,e. Cattle are very uninterested in a drone and are not easily spooked. However, horses, ostrich, etc., are extremely easy to spook and regularly run into pipe or barbed wire fences when this occurs, occasionally causing life threatening injuries to the animal.

Since our drone community has an ongoing PR issue with a balance of the populous, flying near livestock is just plain bad form and nothing you get on video is worth the bad press the flying community will get if an animal is injured. If you must fly in those areas, I highly recommend you do it at maximum altitude and don't loiter in those areas. This is coming from a guy who raised cattle and rode horses in the first 20 years of life, then flew EMS helos for the last 25 years and a lifetime of RC flying, so I've got insight for both sides of the issue.
Good point! Another reason for the utility of the optical 7x camera on the Mavic 3 and Mavic 3 Pro that most everyone who hasn't used it overlooks. It allows filming easily spooked animals without disturbing them from a safe distance at up to 14x as needed, using only 2x digital.

that's why he sent it to Omniviewtech, a local DJI authorized repair facility
Which he wouldn't have known about if he hadn't posted here, so there's that.

In a forum where we have people posting questions about flying in their local park/tourist attraction without being jumped on, it seems churlish to pile on OP for asking for help here simultaneously with other avenues.

Which he wouldn't have known about if he hadn't posted here, so there's that.

In a forum where we have people posting questions about flying in their local park/tourist attraction without being jumped on, it seems churlish to pile on OP for asking for help here simultaneously with other avenues.
Nobody is questioning his asking for help, but he certainly didn't avail himself of the most obvious help in a timely manner. After crashing into a tree, he didn't need another pilot. He just needed a pole. He wasted several days before reaching out to immediate neighbors, which was strongly suggested in the very first reply I gave him. Once he did find a pole in his condo complex and someone to help use it, he bungled the recovery by not planning around the sun in his eyes, while trying to catch a falling drone. As for the repair, he has bungled that, too, because DJI would have been his cheapest option, and he would have received a brand new drone, with Refresh availability, rather than a dubiously repaired crashed drone. Others have been similarly frustrated by the OP's failure to follow their reasonable suggestions. It appears he was more interested in sympathy than real help here. Since he didn’t get enough of the sympathy he sought, I doubt he'll be back. I sure hope he buys Refresh, if he plans to fly again! He definitely needs it!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne