DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic survived crash into salt water (almost)

Kymadn

Reactions
Hi all, I just got home from a long day of fishing following an on fortunate accident with my Mavic. I was taking some aerial shots of our boat and hit a tree in doing so. I feel pretty terrible about it so i don't really want to go in detail of how it happened, that''s not why i am posting.

After the Mavic struck a branch, it dropped into the shallow salt water. It took me about 2 minutes to frantically retrieve the drone from under the water. I immediately disconnected the battery and washed the drone in fresh water.

I do not have DJI care refresh. I am an electronics technician in by trade, so given the circumstance that i have no warranty i decided to try save my Mavic. I completely gutted the Mavic and washed the electronics with isopropyl alcohol, dried it all out and re-assembled.

I took the drone for a test flight just now. The verdict is that it lives to fly another day amazingly. However i have a camera sensor error. The camera display is back and i cannot control the gimbal up/down. Other then that it seems to fly as normal with no other errors.

I dont think it is economical to repair this aircraft with the possibility of future faults arising from this crash. If it was fresh water then it may have been a different story.

I was hoping to get some recommendations on here regarding a replacement Mavic. I have the 2x good batteries and a controller so just the aircraft will do. I live in Australia and trying to find the best value for a new aircraft.

My mate got the whole thing on camera so i may be able to upload the video of the crash. I was also recording from the mavic when it happened but the video corrupted.

Crazy Shot Drones $1699 for just Drone?
Sorry for your experience but keep the old Mavic for parts.

Thanks mate, that's what i was thinking. It still has 4 good motors, motherboard, GPS module, etc. Its actually only 6 months old. Pretty dirty on myself for crashing it the way i did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Michael Ainsworth
I found a replacement aircraft for $1299.00 AUD here: Mavic Pro - Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) | DJI Store

I noticed US DJI sell replacement for $759.00 USD (approx $1050 AUD0: Mavic Pro - Aircraft (Excludes Remote Controller and Battery Charger) | DJI Store

Why do the US get it so much cheaper? We get ripped on consumer goods in Australia.
don't feel " alone " .. in Italy just the same rip off ......... ( i bought mine in Hong Kong :-D )

Becuase of tax and import duty is added on and is why you dont pay any more when it comes through customs.

Becuase of tax and import duty is added on and is why you dont pay any more when it comes through customs.

But they are made in China? Wouldn't the US have tax and import duty also?

I think i have found a drone shop in the US where i can get it for $759 USD + $80 USD freight. So if i can get it to Australia it still works out cheaper then DJI's Store price.

Last edited:
Unless you can be sure that the fine folks at Australia Customs will not be opening the package and stinging you with duty, import fees and taxes I would not count on that being the price to your door.

Generally they hit you for GST/VAT, possible duty charges and a fee for the pleasure of charging you.

I got none of those fees ordering direct from DJI in Canada and it ended up saving me over $350.00.

Reactions: Kymadn
Think i will just bite the bullet and shell out the $1299.00 then :(

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627