DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC ZOOM - BATTERY SEPARATION IN FLIGHT - POSSIBLE DESIGN FLAW? NO FAIL-SAFE FOR BATTERY EJECTION IN FLIGHT

It was not my opinion that this is a design flaw. The opinion is from an industrial designer that is both a pilot and designer for more than 35 years. In aviation matters, redundancy is a fundamental requirement. The battery has a latching mechanism on both sides, yet there is nothing to lock the battery in place.

Furthermore, the Mavic Pro series (my first Mavic) has a recess in the bottom of the battery housing that probably allows for a certain amount of swelling, whereas the Mavic 2 series has a flat bottom with no recess built in. (see photo).

The fact that battery ejection has become an issue on the Mavic 2 series and not on the Mavic Pro series is a compelling argument for a design flaw, which hopefully needs to be addressed by DJI.
There’s very little redundancy on recreational drones.
It’s really not the same thing as an aircraft.
In that if it crashes the chances of a fatality are much much lower. In fact so far it hasn’t happened.

As for DJI addressing it ain’t gonna happen.
At best they will leave a little extra space in the next model. It would be interesting to see the battery compartment on an MA2.

I’ll be sure to keep a careful eye on my batteries to make sure they’re not swollen.

Sounds like you’re more interested in a sale than answering the original question. Three times you have advocated for your product in this thread. Personally, I feel that’s excessive.
[Edit: it was more than three times and, as someone pointed out, you didn’t at any point address the original question posted by the OP.]
He is an approved vendor and pays for the privilege of promoting his products here. So, what you think, personally or otherwise- doesn't matter much.

• Haha
Reactions: SXViper03
Rice? Lol, I can't believe people still think this has any effect at all.
Set it on front of a fan for a day or so.
He is an approved vendor and pays for the privilege of promoting his products here. So, what you think, personally or otherwise- doesn't matter much.
Just because he is an approved vendor doesn't mean what people think don't matter much, that is just your opinion which doesn't matter much. See what I did there? :rolleyes:

Hi Terry63.

Thank you for your informative post. I am new to this ejection issue. I see that you have done some research and your post will be very helpful to everyone on this forum..
I agree that the Mavic 2 series (Pro and Zoom) suffer from a design flaw. DJI should cover the losses which result from this design flaw.

Might you do the owners a favor and tell us what the production date is of your batteries.. It tells you in the App. I have been following the battery swell issue since it reared it's evil head earlier last year, and for almost all accounts it follows one month (pretty much) of production. DJI was aware of it back then and was offering extended warranty and return on that date of batteries as I read in another thread to up to a year, which their normal battery warranty is 6 months. I will not repeat the date (for obvious reasons), but it is on these forums had one wish to do the legwork as I have.

I just bought my M2Z three months ago, I knew of the early problems by reading forums like this, so I had no hesitation on buying a M2Z/SC with flymore as such my dates do not coincide with the dates suspected.

Given that any number of things can cause batteries to swell, one has to take members at face value who say they have properly charged/stored/used their batteries as a normal user would.

That unfortunately isn't something DJI can afford to do given the sales of the M2 series and the relativity small amount in comparison of complaints of this nature. As I only know what I read and as yet have zero issues I can't confirm or deny any actual problem with any such design issue other than to say the battery swelling is causing the problem, not a design issue as about every drone out there has had different approaches to securing batteries, some under hang...some are even held in place with a freak'in magnet?

I actually know someone in the Philippines and all 3 batteries for his MP1 swelled and couldn't fit back in compartment. After quizzing him I found out he actually stored his batteries drained most times, and then other times he would leave them on the hub charger for weeks at a time...not a good thing with a auto discharge feature needless to say.

I have been unable to find site rules as such for this site, but on other sites vendors aren't to promote their products more than once in 24 hours on any given thread, not sure what goes on here, and really don't care either :) I was in fact looking at his products about 2 weeks ago and was set to purchase...but his recent posts turned me off to his business, so I will forego the products. So indeed ones actions do reflect;)

Last edited:
Might you do the owners a favor and tell us what the production date is of your batteries.. It tells you in the App. I have been following the battery swell issue since it reared it's evil head earlier last year, and for almost all accounts it follows one month (pretty much) of production. DJI was aware of it back then and was offering extended warranty and return on that date of batteries as I read in another thread to up to a year, which their normal battery warranty is 6 months. I will not repeat the date (for obvious reasons), but it is on these forums had one wish to do the legwork as I have.

I just bought my M2Z three months ago, I knew of the early problems by reading forums like this, so I had no hesitation on buying a M2Z/SC with flymore as such my dates do not coincide with the dates suspected.

Given that any number of things can cause batteries to swell, one has to take members at face value who say they have properly charged/stored/used their batteries as a normal user would.

That unfortunately isn't something DJI can afford to do given the sales of the M2 series and the relativity small amount in comparison of complaints of this nature. As I only know what I read and as yet have zero issues I can't confirm or deny any actual problem with any such design issue other than to say the battery swelling is causing the problem, not a design issue as about every drone out there has had different approaches to securing batteries, some under hang...some are even held in place with a freak'in magnet?

I actually know someone in the Philippines and all 3 batteries for his MP1 swelled and couldn't fit back in compartment. After quizzing him I found out he actually stored his batteries drained most times, and then other times he would leave them on the hub charger for weeks at a time...not a good thing with a auto discharge feature needless to say.
See your right swelling can be a battery problem or user problem.
That’s why DJI is careful to make sure it’s truly a battery problem.
As I’ve said a few times before my air data Battery charts were worth four batteries replaced.

I have been unable to find site rules as such for this site, but on other sites vendors aren't to promote their products more than once in 24 hours on any given thread, not sure what goes on here, and really don't care either :) I was in fact looking at his products about 2 weeks ago and was set to purchase...but his recent posts turned me off to his business, so I will forego the products. So indeed ones actions do reflect;)
If you’re an approved vendor then you can take my word for it.

To reply to your post, my batteries were produced on "2018-7" year/month.
Would it help to have the serial numbers?
I bought the Fly-More Kit.

My two remaining batteries (the one in the drone could not be recovered from the bottom of the pond where the drone and battery ended up) have 32 and 35 charges respectively. So the one that ejected probably had between 32 and 35 charge cycles on it.

Is there any chance that DJI will recognize these batteries to be defective?

To reply to your post, my batteries were produced on "2018-7" year/month.
Would it help to have the serial numbers?
I bought the Fly-More Kit.

My two remaining batteries (the one in the drone could not be recovered from the bottom of the pond where the drone and battery ended up) have 32 and 35 charges respectively. So the one that ejected probably had between 32 and 35 charge cycles on it.

Is there any chance that DJI will recognize these batteries to be defective?

Unfortunately your batteries are 2 years old, I doubt DJI will help you regardless on times charged which they warranty to 200 times...your factor of age is going to be the big reason. They have no way of knowing how you stored them. It also would be helpful to when you purchased but over a year I doubt you have any case against them..even if you did you can't prove issue or cause at this point.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oshgeo