DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

MAVIC ZOOM - BATTERY SEPARATION IN FLIGHT - POSSIBLE DESIGN FLAW? NO FAIL-SAFE FOR BATTERY EJECTION IN FLIGHT

Main reasons?

Can you please post results from these tests? Have they been reviewed by DJI or any other peer review unaffiliated with your organization?

Because a) we've had a LOT of swollen battery posts on this forum since the release of the M2P and b) I personally cannot recall a single post that mentioned flying in the rain. (Shall we take a poll of how many posters here even fly in the rain, regardless if they've had swollen batteries o not?)

I can imagine that rain could cause a failure in the power button switch mechanism, but it makes no sense that it would somehow lead to battery cell swelling, much less a "main reason".

Chris

Right under the Power Button is the Computer Chip that tells the battery what to do , when to discharge and also how to connect to the battery and the GPS ,
Its much more intricate than you might be thinking , We know how quickly the board can be compromised. Moisture is just one way there are of course others.

I think its one of the reasons Batteries dont have the extended Warranty

The warranty on the battery is only 6 months,

Last edited:
Right under the Power Button is the Computer Chip that tells the battery what to do , when to discharge and also how to connect to the battery and the GPS ,
Its much more intricate than you might be thinking , We know how quickly the board can be compromised. Moisture is just one way there are of course others.

I think its one of the reasons Batteries dont have the warranty from DJI

Huh? DJI batteries do have a warranty. And they honor that warranty in some cases (I just found threads on this very forum the discusses warranty replacement).

If they discover that a battery failed because you flew in the rain -- something the owners manual tells you not to do (#1 on the Flight Environment Requirements on page #56) -- then I can see why the warranty would not be honored.

But my main point stands: most battery swelling seems to happen while not flying in the rain. This is clearly apparent by doing any casual search on these (and other) forums. If you want to claim otherwise, you should provide proof.

I am done with this SUBthread (relating to rain) -- we've both had our say and it should be stopped for the OP's sake. I put my full support in the OPs thoughts of using a velco strap. I believe that if the latch mechanism fails, it would probably keep the battery touching electrical contacts, if cinched in tightly.

Hi "Not A Speck Of Cereal" Thank you for your input. It is most helpful to me to figure out how to avoid another incident such as the one I just experienced. I hope that others will understand that such a failure can take down their Mavic 2 drones without any warning or any signs of problems.

What I hope the readers will take away from this is not to fly over people or cars where a sudden loss turns your drone into a brick and causes harm or damage.

Fly safe and fly responsibly.

I did the velcro for a while, but it gets cumbersome. You have to position it very carefully to avoid obscuring the down-sensors on the Mavic Pro. Also, it can interfere with folding/ unfolding. A rubber band like from a bundle of asparagus seems to work. (Don't buy broccoli. Broccoli does not come with a rubber band and you have to eat the broccoli.)

With my drone, a Mavic pro, I attach the battery by carefully pressing down first on one side, then the other. You should get two distinct clicks. If you just press it down in the normal manner, the clicks tend to sound on top of each other, and you don't know if both sides are latched or only one. This method has given me security over hundreds of flights.

Next: The rice trick can work. My drone got wet one day from rain and flew home OK, but would no longer boot. I bought a fresh box of rice and put about 2-3 pounds of it in a plastic bag. I stretched a pair of socks over the folded drone / battery to keep rice dust away from the innards, camera gimbal, etc. Placed the affair in the sun on mild days. Be careful of hot days, it might get hotter than you want, and I don't know what the limit is. On the second day I began to see moisture condensing on the inside of the bag. Eventually the rice gobbled it up, and about three days later I was seeing no more condensation. Left it out in the (mild) sun by itself (no bags or rice) for another day and tried it. Booted normally and trouble free ever since. Good luck. If salt water, I would not expect success.

I think its one of the reasons Batteries dont have the extended Warranty

The warranty on the battery is only 6 months,

What has the battery management system got to do with the GPS?

What has the battery management system got to do with the GPS?

These our intelligent flight batteries and they are very integrated into the software in all kinds of different ways as we have learned.

Last edited:
I have used a set of these on most flights starting last year when the first issues of swelling and battery ejections started to show up in this and other forums.

Easy to apply, only takes a few seconds to make sure a battery is not going to fall out during a flight. I have never had any issues with any of them, always stay on tight.

The Phantom Rain covers for the MP2 also work very well in this regard. As I do like to fly early am in areas with ground fog and chase sunsets right after a storm, I wanted to try a set of their covers. For sure the battery is protected from moisture and it’s not going to come out during flight. The cover does hold the batter in quite well in fact it’s a bit of an effort to remove the battery after a flight due to the edges of the material which overlap the edges of the battery (in effect sealing it). I have used my MP2 with the Phantom Rain covers for around 20 flights now, and have not had any issues.

Flying a MP2 with a battery over 6 months old, I would for sure consider adding at least a strap. I fully agree it should not be needed, but it’s clear the battery can be ejected during flight with certain type of flight parameters. The more aggressive flight maneuvers the the greater the chance of losing a battery, and thus a drone.

Paul C

I doubt if this reply will directly reach the desk of DJI ~ and I realize the stats (perhaps) do not indicate a major design flaw or trend, but I have noticed the chassis of my M2P (relative to the mid-section of the battery compartment) does not firmly “snap & lock” like before with the clip of the battery cell(s) after 1.5 years of use. Maybe chassis plastic fatigue, hot weather and/or repeated battery use are the culprits ? Recently the SC in advance will indicate “cannot take off” due to battery connection (thank goodness). I like the idea of a Velcro strap for insurance and I have also come across seeing an external chassis bracket which incorporates a thread screw above the battery to apply downward pressure. I just wish DJI designed a robust / sturdy battery compartment clip. For now - I just (at low ground altitude) rock / jolt (bank) the M2P sticks right/left immediately after home point is established to double check (shakedown) whether the battery is firmly in place...

I doubt if this reply will directly reach the desk of DJI ~ and I realize the stats (perhaps) do not indicate a major design flaw or trend, but I have noticed the chassis of my M2P (relative to the mid-section of the battery compartment) does not firmly “snap & lock” like before with the clip of the battery cell(s) after 1.5 years of use. Maybe chassis plastic fatigue, hot weather and/or repeated battery use are the culprits ? Recently the SC in advance will indicate “cannot take off” due to battery connection (thank goodness). I like the idea of a Velcro strap for insurance and I have also come across seeing an external chassis bracket which incorporates a thread screw above the battery to apply downward pressure. I just wish DJI designed a robust / sturdy battery compartment clip. For now - I just (at low ground altitude) rock / jolt (bank) the M2P sticks right/left immediately after home point is established to double check (shakedown) whether the battery is firmly in place...
No DJI will not see it. Hard to say if it's a design flaw, mine are still perfect after 400 fights so IDK how the holders get worn out.

After a bit of practice it will take 10 seconds to put that strap on.

Sorry to here about your issue. Two things that might help.
Check out drone-retriever. com for what to do after a water event. Also check out the application notes for DJI Mavic regarding battery.

Wow way to beat a dead horse.
These are actually for my DYI drone.
ebay - Apex RC Products 16mm X 300mm HD Rubberized Battery Straps - 5 Pack #3021 2 bucks each.

View attachment 110912View attachment 110911

Want to +1. These straps are really good - I used the same ones on my M2Z. Very easy to carry a bunch, put on, tighten, and take off.

It was suggested to me that I post my experience in this forum since the cause of the crash was known:

I have just experienced a dive into water over the weekend. Luckily I was able to retrieve my drone the next day. It's now in a bag of rice to try to wick all the moisture from the drone. Also, lucky I have Care Refresh so once I get it dried out I will evaluate the need to use that service. If it works again, my loss so far is one battery (with less than 40 cycles and the props).

By the way, if anyone knows what can happen to a drone spending the night in a fresh water pond, please let me know. If there are any tests to perform to check the airworthiness of my drone, please chime in.

I have read quite a few reports of drones simply dropping out of the sky due to loss of power when batteries had enough charge to get them down safely.

This incident is also a good reminder not to fly over people or cars where a falling drone can cause injury or damage.

In my case, the reason the drone took a dive into water was clear. The battery separated from the drone while I was descending rapidly from 90 to 60 meters. The screen gave the red warning "disconnected" and as I looked up, the drone was falling with the battery about 10 feet above and beside the falling drone.

I discussed this failure with an industrial designer and pilot with 30 years of experience. His conclusion was that this is a design flaw, as a critical non-moving part such as the power source must have a fail-safe mechanism.

I had checked my battery for any sign of swelling or abnormality before every flight and I make sure to push it down firmly to hear the clicks by the locking mechanism so there was no error on my part.

The sudden and rapid descent caused the separation. Somehow the locking mechanism failed.

From now on, I will try the following fix:
Wrap a velcro strap around the body of the Mav Zoom and add a compressible material on the top to always maintain pressure, in case the locking mechanism fails again. Perhaps someone with talent can design this and add this fail-safe to existing models that use the same design as the Mavic Zoom.

Should I upload any other info? Flilght log, video, etc.? Not sure how to do this. Any suggestions?
Cause of battery separation may be that the battery is swollen, bulging or something to that effect. I noticed my Mavic 2 Pro's batteries won't sit well when attaching it.
Both batteries were the extra I bought with the unit. The one that came with the drone did not swell at all.
Could be factory defect, hope DJI addresses this.

Cause of battery separation may be that the battery is swollen, bulging or something to that effect. I noticed my Mavic 2 Pro's batteries won't sit well when attaching it.
Both batteries were the extra I bought with the unit. The one that came with the drone did not swell at all.
Could be factory defect, hope DJI addresses this.

Batteries just degrade over time, how long have you had the bulging batteries ?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kramme