DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavic2 Radio & Antenna Mods

R. I. P. beanbubba and thanks for all the insight

Anybody using amped controller for M2 figure out the frequency switching issues?

I have alientech 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz amplified directional antennas.
Although they could easily market their 2.4G as M2 compatible, they don't. Seems that alientech only sees 5.8ghz as the way to go here for reasons of image transmission, "higher radio propogation rate, " and less interference (guessing the assumption is that you only feel the need for more range in urban areas with 2.4ghz interference).
I was leaning more towards using 5.8ghz due to interference and the dramatic difference it made on my Mavic Air.

Reactions: Texas Mavic
R. I. P. beanbubba and thanks for all the insight

Anybody using amped controller for M2 figure out the frequency switching issues?

I have alientech 2.4ghz and 5.8ghz amplified directional antennas.
Although they could easily market their 2.4G as M2 compatible, they don't. Seems that alientech only sees 5.8ghz as the way to go here for reasons of image transmission, "higher radio propogation rate, " and less interference (guessing the assumption is that you only feel the need for more range in urban areas with 2.4ghz interference).
I was leaning more towards using 5.8ghz due to interference and the dramatic difference it made on my Mavic Air.
I echo your RIP for Beanbubba. He will be sorely missed.

I set the M2 RC frequency just before takeoff, as Bean suggested, and it seems to stay there. In my area also 5.8 seems to give better video - lots of hotels with massive wifi systems. I have had some serious dropouts at 3-4 Km using 2.4 Sunhans 3W and 18 dB patch. (on the M1 this was good to 11 Km). Now I have no problems out to 9 Km using Szhuashi 5W 5.8 and Alpha APA M25 (dual band antenna).

It seems if you're on 5.8 and disconnect, the link has trouble connecting again. Has anyone else had issues?

It seems if you're on 5.8 and disconnect, the link has trouble connecting again. Has anyone else had issues?
I have not a 5.8 disconnection yet. Maybe after disconnection it switches back to 2.4. Might try and force disconnection by switching off amp.

I echo your RIP for Beanbubba. He will be sorely missed.

I set the M2 RC frequency just before takeoff, as Bean suggested, and it seems to stay there. In my area also 5.8 seems to give better video - lots of hotels with massive wifi systems. I have had some serious dropouts at 3-4 Km using 2.4 Sunhans 3W and 18 dB patch. (on the M1 this was good to 11 Km). Now I have no problems out to 9 Km using Szhuashi 5W 5.8 and Alpha APA M25 (dual band antenna).
What happened to beanbubba?

Yes, seems to continue to try to reconnect with 5.8 it will not just stay locked on 2.4

I turn off dual band and switched to 2.4 at the beginning of all my distance flights

So I tried both alientech amped 2.4ghz directional antenna vs amped 5.8ghz directional antenna on the mp2 and the 2.4g definitely gave me more range. Not sure why alientech only pushes the 5.8g for the Mavic 2.

Last edited:
Post your interference graphs for 2.4 and 5.8. 2.4 always has a lot of noise here and I never get very good range.
Yes, I meant mp2. I edited my post.
I had the 5.8g for a Mavic Air and now it's sold for the Mavic 2.
The 2.4g on the mp2 seems to have slightly more range than it did on the mp1.

Post your interference graphs for 2.4 and 5.8. 2.4 always has a lot of noise here and I never get very good range.
5.8 is pretty clean but doesn't penetrate enough to compete with amped 2.4 here.
I might be doing this wrong as you can see the 5.8 graph is with the mp2 sitting 20ft away.

So here's 2.4 sitting 20ft away

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saikiran Villa