DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mavrick vs. Phantom

Pyrate

Premium Pilot
Reactions
I have been struggling with purchasing the Phantom 4P and the Maverick PRO. I just purchased the Maverick. I hope I made the right choice. any feedback??? it has not even arrived yet

It absolutely depends on your intended use. The Phantom is stronger and has a better camera but the Mavic Pro is more portable.

Reactions: gppms
welcome to the forum,the aircraft both perform very similar rolls,the big advantage of the mavics are their folded size which means they are easier to transport around

Which is more important for your use, image quality or size? The Phantom 4 Pro offers a much larger 1in sensor (same as the Mavic 2 Pro) but a relatively bulky size while the Mavic Pro (assuming we're talking about the original model) has a smaller sensor (mobile phone sized and similar to most Mavics) but its small folding design makes it far more portable.

Although IQ is important to me given the choice of the two I went with the Mavic Pro because its small size meant I could easily carry it out with me on the bike or walking and along with other camera gear as well.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I have been struggling with purchasing the Phantom 4P and the Maverick PRO. I just purchased the Maverick. I hope I made the right choice. any feedback??? it has not even arrived yet
If you meant the Mavic 2 pro, its camera has the same sensor as the P4 pro and the image quality is very similar (as is the flight performance).
You can get good results from either one.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thomas B
I prefer the M2P for portability but the P4P has the mechanical shutter and it seems to produce better photos IMO. Just personal preference. Of course I’m an addict who has several drones. Original Mavic, a couple Mavic 2 Pros as well as a couple Phantom 4 Pros.

Reactions: gppms
While i don't have the Mavic Pro, i do have both a Mavic Air and a Phantom 4 Pro v2.
I use both of them regularly and both for commercial jobs. The Phantom does have a bigger sensor and presumably better camera, however I struggle to see a great deal of difference in capture between the 2.
My main use is for real estate aerial shots and industrial mapping, both handle this pretty well.
The primary difference is in portability and speed into the air. The MA is much quicker to get up and running. I find the fact having to put props on the P4P ( and inevitable calibration that seems to be needed more often on the P4P than the MA) takes a good amount of time and if you are wanting to get a pic of something quickly the MA is a winner.
The P4P is seen by the public as a more commercial aircraft and i have not had any real issues flying commercially with this. It also handles higher wind speeds marginally better than the MA, but i don't fly in cyclonic conditions anyway...
I have been asked more questions on the MA as people seem think it is more of a toy, however it is interesting to see the reactions when you let them know of the amazing tech and quality that are in all these machines.

Essentially it is "horses for courses" really, The Mavic is all about portability. Not only with the folding arms etc but also the carry bag etc that it comes with - all very compact and easy to cart around. The Phantom on the other hand is a bulky animal both with the props on and also the foam case it sits in (about 400 x 350 x 250mm)
If you want a portable quality machine the folding Mavics are hard to go past. If you want a more robust heavier and bigger camera (20mp) then the Phantom is a worthy aircraft.
I know i havent answered the question but I think you will be happy with either.

I flew other peoples Mavic 2 Pro and the Phantom before flying the Air 2. I ended up going with the Air 2. Cost was not a driving factor it was the feature, size, newer technology, performance and that I do not shoot professionally. I did not see a noticeable difference in footage from the newer Air 2 vs the 1.5 year older Mavic 2 Pro. The footage of the Air 2 in my opinion could easily be use in professional production. As for my experience with the Phantom 4 Pro I personally thought the footage of the Mavic Pro 2 was equal to the Phantom.

The Air 2 as mentioned in prior post is very portable, where as the Phantom is something that you have to lug around.

Moore's law for consumer technology drones still applies.

I find the fact having to put props on the P4P ( and inevitable calibration that seems to be needed more often on the P4P than the MA) takes a good amount of time.
I just timed it and 12 secs to put on props doesn't seem like it should be an issue.
Inevitable calibrations?
I still haven't calibrated anything on my hard-working P4 pro that's flown over 4000 miles in four years.

Last edited:
Reactions: gppms and SkyeHigh
I just timed it and12 secs to put on props doesn't seem like it should be an issue.
Inevitable calibrations?
I still haven't calibrated anything on my hard-working P4 pro that's flown over 4000 miles in four years.
Good on you Usain Bolt, I am sure the speed in which you install props is worth of some sort of medal. It is negative comments like this that keep many of us from putting forward our views on any subject in the hope it will help answer the questions others put forward hoping someone will be able to assist or offer advice. I just don't need this kind of negativity in my life mate.
If you took the time to understand my post, you will find i love both machines. They just are different for various reasons.
Regarding calibration - I find if i move over 10km from my last flight location the P4P needs to recalibrate. For some reason the MA does not.

It is negative comments like this that keep many of us from putting forward our views on any subject in the hope it will help answer the questions others put forward hoping someone will be able to assist or offer advice.
Negative comment?
You said it takes a good amount of time which made me curious.
So I checked to see just how long it takes.

I just don't need this kind of negativity in my life mate.
The negativity is in your attitude.
Regarding calibration - I find if i move over 10km from my last flight location the P4P needs to recalibrate. For some reason the MA does not.
There's something else going on.
Moving your drone any distance, makes no difference to compass calibration.

I have both the Phantom 4 Pro and the Mavic Pro. Love them both. Like mentioned, the Phantom has a better camera, but the Mavic is extremely portable. I tend to use it more.

Welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Reactions: Thomas B
Maverick:
View attachment 116006

Mavic Pro:
View attachment 116007

You will be happy with the Mavic Pro - it is a great beginner drone with lots of bonus frills for the price. It is much more portable than the Phantom 4, faster to setup, and the RC is lighter and even has better range, in my opinion.

Perhaps Maverick:
280px-James_Garner_Bret_Maverick_Jack_Kelly_Bart_Maverick.JPG

Pleased to meet you, Pyrate! Enjoy your Mavic, it's a great drone. The phantom's camera has a very slight edge, but the Mavic is much easier to carry.

Hello there!, I have the Mavic Pro also! Its been great! I also have a Phantom 4 and the Phantom 4Pro also! for general video and photos the Mavic has been great, For the High quality shots My P4P is excellent! 20 Mega pixels compared to 12 there's no comparison! But I'm sure you'll love the Mavic Pro for its portability! Its really fun to fly!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fbri7