DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max Power Load Reached on MA2

codaroommedia

Reactions
I know this plagued the mini... but got this error today flying at 100ft altitude in sport mode. Very little wind. No issues with the props. Switched to normal mode, and it disappeared. Something to be concerned about?

My last flight I took off with 98% battery capacity and landed with 30% and the flight duration was 12:53 -- at that rate the full 100% would get me 18:57 or a bit more than half the rated maximum. I was flying in sport mode most of the time as it was very near sunset and I was in a hurry to complete the flight before it got too dark to fly. I don't recall seeing any warning, but I was surprised at how quickly the battery drained.

So, if we calculate the drain rate for that flight it would be 40.42WHr / 0.316hr = 128W (0.316hr is 18:57 for the full battery.).

Also, since the load isn't constant over the entire flight there will be periods higher and lower than 127W. I'd guess the actual max at around 160W.

On another flight I got over 23 minutes (23:04) and the battery went from 100% to 19% so the full battery would have been about 28:29 and the average power draw more like 85W. This is perhaps a bit longer than I can expect on average so I'd put the actual long term average draw at about 90W for a max flight time of 26:57 and an 75% flight of 20:13.

Brian

Reactions: geneg
My last flight I took off with 98% battery capacity and landed with 30% and the flight duration was 12:53 -- at that rate the full 100% would get me 18:57 or a bit more than half the rated maximum. I was flying in sport mode most of the time as it was very near sunset and I was in a hurry to complete the flight before it got too dark to fly. I don't recall seeing any warning, but I was surprised at how quickly the battery drained.

So, if we calculate the drain rate for that flight it would be 40.42WHr / 0.316hr = 128W (0.316hr is 18:57 for the full battery.).

Also, since the load isn't constant over the entire flight there will be periods higher and lower than 127W. I'd guess the actual max at around 160W.

On another flight I got over 23 minutes (23:04) and the battery went from 100% to 19% so the full battery would have been about 28:29 and the average power draw more like 85W. This is perhaps a bit longer than I can expect on average so I'd put the actual long term average draw at about 90W for a max flight time of 26:57 and an 75% flight of 20:13.

Brian
The MA2 specifications (manual page 47) state the 'Max Flight Time' as "34 mins (measured while flying at 18 Kph in windless conditions)" [18 kph = 11 mph]
Sport mode is definitely going to cut into that!

Reactions: dawgpilot
I've seen that on the Spark and the Mavic Air in sport mode. Only a couple of times. Have no idea what triggered it except that I was in sport mode.

I get that message whenever flying in sport mode, I have both sticks pushed all the way forward...climbing and moving forward as fast as possible.

Just means you're giving her all she's got, cap'n.

I've got this on a few flights too - not sure if its something I should be concerned about? I got mine in normal mode, too.

I just spoke with DJI support on this, as it does strike a concern to me (considering I never got this error when using my Mini!);

"I am sorry to hear about what happened.
Can we try to refresh the firmware of your drone?
And recalibrate everything.
Please download the DJI Assistant 2 to your computer using this link : Mavic Air 2 - Downloads - DJI
You may check this video on how to do the firmware update :
Then, please update the firmware, if there is no firmware update needed, please click "Refresh"."

EDIT:

I further queried this with DJI support;

ME: Based on your response, are you saying this is a potential fault, and could result in drone malfunction (random land/crash)?
DJI RESPONSE: Yes, it could be this issue due to crashed or hard landing.

This strikes a bigger concern to me considering I've never crashed or 'hard landed' the drone at all.. Hmm.

Further queried this (again!)

" We are sorry about that, if your drone is still in the 15 days replacement period and after the refresh and testing of your unit. And the problem is still persist, we suggest to return your drone to your dealer and ask for replacement. "

If this was my Mavic Mini, I wouldn't be too concerned, but as I paid £1,000 all in (incl DJI Refresh Care), I think I'll be returning the product and getting a replacement. I can't afford to risk the drone dropping from the sky and not being able to recover it.

Last edited:
What am I missing here? I think you guys are waaaaaay overthinking this. Maximum Power Load Reached simply means that all power that it has is being used at the fastest rate possible at that particular moment in time, i.e. flooring the gas pedal when you take off from a red light. That energy is being converted to as much motion as the aircraft is capable of producing.

Next time, let off of the stick and I bet it disappears immediately.

Reactions: Sjkieffer
Yes you get that message when you are pushing the rotors to their limits, I get it all the time.

Example, on sport mode you are going up and forward as fast as possible. It's a very common message. I don't get it on normal mode because the drone doesn't fly as quickly.

I don't think you have any faults, it's just saying you are climbing quicker than the motors like to.

I get that message whenever flying in sport mode, I have both sticks pushed all the way forward...climbing and moving forward as fast as possible.

Just means you're giving her all she's got, cap'n.
I got the warning when I was doing the same thing. Its happened a few times.

Reactions: Freem@n
I just got this message today but saw no need to panic. I had descended almost 200m and was returning back with mostly full left stick up with a vertical speed, if I remember correctly, of about 2.5m/s while also going backwards at about 7.5m/s. When the drone is lower than my landing spot or if I have to face any significant wind I always play it safe and head home with more than usual battery level.

A couple years ago when flying my P4P I had a significant headwind heading home and my max airspeed dropped to less than 2m/s -- at that place I would not have made it. So, I turned about 45 degrees left and descended a bit and was able to just make it back.

A year or so before that, flying the Inspire 1 Pro, I had climbed a cliff face a couple hundred feet but when I tried to come down the updraft was so strong that at full down on the throttle it barely moved. All I needed to do was back away from the cliff a couple hundred feet and no problem.

brian

The MA2 specifications (manual page 47) state the 'Max Flight Time' as "34 mins (measured while flying at 18 Kph in windless conditions)" [18 kph = 11 mph]
Sport mode is definitely going to cut into that!
My question is about extending flight time while in sport mode when sensors are disabled and energy to sensors is none. In Sport mode flying at 11 mph could flight time be extended by any appreciable amount. Is sensor ON power drain a matter of consequence?

I know this plagued the mini... but got this error today flying at 100ft altitude in sport mode. Very little wind. No issues with the props. Switched to normal mode, and it disappeared. Something to be concerned about?

Its a normal operations , as posted above and it letting you know that pushing on the stick is not going to make it go any faster. :p

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Mavic in the Rain and Float on Water

My question is about extending flight time while in sport mode when sensors are disabled and energy to sensors is none. In Sport mode flying at 11 mph could flight time be extended by any appreciable amount. Is sensor ON power drain a matter of consequence?

The sensors use a tiny fraction of the power of the motors. I don't think it would make an appreciable difference in flight time.

I just spoke with DJI support on this, as it does strike a concern to me (considering I never got this error when using my Mini!);

EDIT:

I further queried this with DJI support;

ME: Based on your response, are you saying this is a potential fault, and could result in drone malfunction (random land/crash)?
DJI RESPONSE: Yes, it could be this issue due to crashed or hard landing.

This strikes a bigger concern to me considering I've never crashed or 'hard landed' the drone at all.. Hmm.

Further queried this (again!)

" We are sorry about that, if your drone is still in the 15 days replacement period and after the refresh and testing of your unit. And the problem is still persist, we suggest to return your drone to your dealer and ask for replacement. "

If this was my Mavic Mini, I wouldn't be too concerned, but as I paid £1,000 all in (incl DJI Refresh Care), I think I'll be returning the product and getting a replacement. I can't afford to risk the drone dropping from the sky and not being able to recover it.
The DJI CS are Level 1 support, they are horrible at best! They do not have he proper training and do not know how to triage problems. I just received this today flying at a high altitude and full speed wind speed was head.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mr James