DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max wind for Mini

Per the Mavic Mini specs, the max wind resistance is 8 m/s (17.8 MPH). That's of course the wind speed up in the air where the drone is flying.

I have also noticed that since the last firmware .300 there seems to be no warning in the App of high wind.

Also would help if the firmware switched from mode P in RTM to mode S when it was drifting away during RTH.

DJI need to address these issues before christmas, because afterwards there are going to be a lot of new pilots out there.

From experience, light to moderate wind. As you climb, the wind may increase and difficult to determine. While it (you) can manage moderate wind. Best left for casual, light wind days.

I have also noticed that since the last firmware .300 there seems to be no warning in the App of high wind
Trust me, it's there in the app, it just doesn't show in the logs.

Edit:

I got a few in this flight, but I hit RTH (first time I ever used RTH) and regretted it... Immediately switched to sport and dropped down below 15m and flew south west into the wind. But nothing in the logs.

Last edited:
Hi,
most of GPS equipped aircraft nowadays ( I mean real aircraft) got an instantaneous wind speed and direction indicator (usually an arrow pointing in the wind direction with an numerical value next to it indicating wind speed).
I think it would be very usefull to have such display in the DJI App so we can assess the wind strength.

Pierre

Hi,
most of GPS equipped aircraft nowadays ( I mean real aircraft) got an instantaneous wind speed and direction indicator (usually an arrow pointing in the wind direction with an numerical value next to it indicating wind speed).
I think it would be very usefull to have such display in the DJI App so we can assess the wind strength.

Pierre
thats not practical in a small drone,all you need to do is look around yourself at what the trees are doing ,you can use a hand held wind speed indicator but that will only give you wind speed at ground level,another way to check if its too windy is take off go up to 20ft and watch how the drone is coping with the wind if it is having a hard time to hold its hover then it to windy

Trust me, it's there in the app, it just doesn't show in the logs
FWIW, that's just showing AirData's wind calculation. The DJI flight logs don't contain calculated wind speeds.

Reactions: OneQuickSix
I have also noticed that since the last firmware .300 there seems to be no warning in the App of high wind.

Also would help if the firmware switched from mode P in RTM to mode S when it was drifting away during RTH.

DJI need to address these issues before christmas, because afterwards there are going to be a lot of new pilots out there.

No warning because you only fly in 10 :D
It is still there.
It just doesn't go off if you sneeze on it like with 0.0200

From experience, light to moderate wind. As you climb, the wind may increase and difficult to determine. While it (you) can manage moderate wind. Best left for casual, light wind days.

Easy to determine with these two apps:
UAV Forecast - #1 in current display of and forecasting upper level winds.
and on the web OkTo Fly...part of Air Data website.

Personally, I fly in high winds to capture oncoming storms and time lapse cloud events.
Mavic Mini, I do not go up if it is within 5mph of the Mini's max sports speed.
Mavic Air, I have been in headwinds that reduced the sport speed to 10mph forward.
The key there was headwinds.
No way I would ever try that with tail winds.
That way if something goes wrong, the wind will bring it back.
Always fly into the wind unless you are up for a walk :D

Hi,

Pierre
That is a little more complicated than just the GPS recording wind speed. The “pointer” has to factor in the aircrafts True Airspeed and direction to determine it. Until the drones have pitot tubes and static ports to measure its own airspeed and altitude that display won’t be available.

Reactions: old man mavic
I had flown Saturday, calm to moderately light winds (10mph?), low altitude (about 6-10ft). Because winds were not constant, Mini bounced around a bit, which made me nervous. FPV was stable though. Took it up to 35ft where I sometimes got the insufficient power message.

Other than the power message, which didn't really make sense to me as I wasn't pushing it, the sound of Mini seeming to struggle probably was not an issue in the winds I was encountering. If the winds change a lot, of course the motors and attitude (pitch/roll) is going to fluctuate a lot to compensate. Still, I didn't take it over the lake and kept close to shore near me just in case.

That is a little more complicated than just the GPS recording wind speed. The “pointer” has to factor in the aircrafts True Airspeed and direction to determine it. Until the drones have pitot tubes and static ports to measure its own airspeed and altitude that display won’t be available.
With GPS, AC should be able to compare how fast it wants to go, vs how fast in GPS coordinates it's actually going. From that it should be able to estimate wind speed.

Reactions: old man mavic

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danyjames_