DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Max wind speed for flying

I’ve flown both my Mavic Pro and Parrot Anahi in 20+mph winds. Both handled the wind well with 100% battery and I brought them home with 50% battery. Start your flight going against the wind. That’s the situation where the drone will do the hardest work. As others have said higher altitude usually means higher winds. If so notice the drone struggle to maintain position or making headway lower the altitude.

I carry a hand-held anemometer and use it always. If the wind speed at ground level is more than 10mph I don't fly. It is always higher once you get some altitude. Stay on the safe side and you'll hang on to your drone.

Ever since that movie I find myself counting shots fired from revolvers in the movies and it is surprising how many 8 and 9 shot revolvers are out there. I know, it's just the movies but they could at least try and be accurate.

Reactions: Drgnfli
I fly based on forecast from UAV forecast and Airdata OK to Fly. I monitor gust speeds at 250 to 300 ft. UAV is usually high while OK to Fly is usually lower. I take the two and split the difference. If the gusts speeds are really low then the wind speed will be too . I find the Mavic 2 Pro tolerates wind better with less warnings.. The Mavic Pro warnings pop up more often. The radar in Go 4 is a real good indicator as it shows drone tilt as it fights the wind.

I love flying in the wind, mind you I fly for fun and not for creating cinema videos or photography. I don't have a device to test winds speeds before flying, but I use the UAV app to get a general idea. Zoom and Pro both handle 20mph sustained without a problem. I flew at about 350ft high where winds were probably at 35-40mph. Going into the wind in sports mode, it slowed down to about 18mph. But...the fun is with it at your back! I switched my Tripod mode to Atti mode, take it to up to 350-400ft, and then full throttle forward and a little bit down and watch the drone hit 60mph!

The Mavic 2 series drones can handle some very strong winds, just be very careful and know how to fly before you start doing so.

I fly based on forecast from UAV forecast and Airdata OK to Fly. I monitor gust speeds at 250 to 300 ft. UAV is usually high while OK to Fly is usually lower. I take the two and split the difference. If the gusts speeds are really low then the wind speed will be too . I find the Mavic 2 Pro tolerates wind better with less warnings.. The Mavic Pro warnings pop up more often. The radar in Go 4 is a real good indicator as it shows drone tilt as it fights the wind.

Variances based on how they calculate log law

None of these apps can actually forecast wind speed at anything other than 33ft up.

So it really depends on what roughness length they choose. Hence the difference between the apps

Reactions: Camino Ken
Hi all,

Mavic 2 pro - what in your experience is the safe limit for windspeed during flight?

Regards

Mark
Wind is a subject in itself and flying depends on a number of factors. The smaller the machine the more it is effected by wind. I also fly RC helicopters and mine can withstand speeds up 25mph and gusts up to 35mph but it is a very heavy machine. So rule of thumb smaller machine more susceptible to wind heavier not so. There are tradeoffs heavier machine on a battery less flying time.

Reactions: DANNY ROMAN
I carry a hand-held anemometer and use it always. If the wind speed at ground level is more than 10mph I don't fly. It is always higher once you get some altitude. Stay on the safe side and you'll hang on to your drone.

Me to! I also use the "UAV Forecast" app which shows wind @ higher altitudes. But I don't go if it is 15+ mph on my anemometer. A good "rule of thumb" is if your landing pad won't stay where you put it, it is waaay to windy to fly!... IMHO...
~

Reactions: Ex Coelis
Hi all,

Mavic 2 pro - what in your experience is the safe limit for windspeed during flight?

Regards

Mark

For the Mavic, I start to get concerned around 20 mph. While the drone can certainly fly in wind greater than that, the thing tilts so much that you take the gimbal to its limits, which ruins the shot. So I tend to limit video days to 20 mph. I have a lot of experience, so for still I'll fly 30 mph, but you honestly don't want to fly wind much higher than that, especially if you're inexperienced or prone to panic.

I purposely fly in wind in ATTI mode to keep my skill level up. No telemetry. No iPad. No safety net.

D

Like others have alluded to, its not always the constant wind speed but the gusts that'll get you, especially if you're doing some dynamic flying, and be alert to swirling winds near tree tops and tall structures. Also, unless im in a very familiar area, or plan on having a short flight, start out into the wind so you don't have to fight it on the way back, it can be really taxing on the motors and battery. The drone has to work overtime to hold a hover in high winds.

That being said, the highest wind speeds Ive flown in were 30mph gusts with my Spark, and on the way back set a personal best speed record :) . . . . but Id never put my Zoom up in that wind. Like others, 15mph constant speeds are about my limit.

Reactions: Drgnfli

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS