DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum range

well said and thanks for your comments
It remind me when I was teenager and the other teens was asking how great was going my Aprilia 125cc. Mostly I was laughing

I purchased the DJI googles and after the fact found out u can’t use with Mavic Air with out some type up grade? Can someone help me with this and how do I get upgrade or do anyone want to buy for 10% less then I have?

And again....and again, and again and again and again.... :rolleyes:
You DO realize this is the first time for new members. Some of these comments can be a turn-off for some, who will venture off on their own and not benefit from the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Doomed to misrepresent the drone community due to unanswered questions and lengthened learning curve.

but if we dont answer in a negative way when the question is clearly a breach of safe drone flying, then newbies are going to think it is ok to fly beyond VLOS.

I purchased the DJI googles and after the fact found out u can’t use with Mavic Air with out some type up grade? Can someone help me with this and how do I get upgrade or do anyone want to buy for 10% less then I have?
Suggest you start a thread in the MA Help section.

You DO realize this is the first time for new members. Some of these comments can be a turn-off for some, who will venture off on their own and not benefit from the wealth of knowledge on this forum. Doomed to misrepresent the drone community due to unanswered questions and lengthened learning curve.
I was referring to the total lack of use of the search function by many on this forum - both old and new members alike.

Many questions (exactly like the subject matter of this thread) have been asked numerous times before and a simple 10 second search in the search field above will usually yield multiple results answering in depth the exact subject matter posed in the new (unnecessary) thread.

It also means that members (and moderators) have to answer the same questions time and time and time again.

Hi to 2.4ghz. That will get you more in the uk. But why not needed

I agree with Mr. Old Man Mavic and with Mr. Bill Combs. Many people have asked me "how far will it go?" . I tell them "as far as I can see it". As far as I'm concerned, the rules fall into the category of common sense. If we fly beyond VLOS, we don't know if we're jeopardizing the safety of others and we're taking a big risk in losing our expensive toy. For those of you who break the sensible rules, please post your videos on Youtube. I hope the FAA sees them and responds. That would help those of us who fly responsibly and would help the image of the entire drone community.

For the life of me I do not understand why people deem it neccesary to fly so far with their drones. I try to get as close to my subject as possible before taking off, not as far away as possible! If someone told me my MA had a range of 30 miles, that would not mean I would try to fly 30 miles to my subject!! Just saying.

For the life of me I do not understand why people deem it neccesary to fly so far with their drones. I try to get as close to my subject as possible before taking off, not as far away as possible! If someone told me my MA had a range of 30 miles, that would not mean I would try to fly 30 miles to my subject!! Just saying.

What if you rented a condo near the beach, and there was this really cool island 2 miles away...... but no way to get to it.

To quote George Mallory... because it's there.

To quote George Mallory... because it's there.

What I've seen in these past few years of getting into this drone hobby is far too many people in the world are overly concerned with how I operate my 1 pound hunk of plastic, and not so much about the many ultra lights, Cessna aircraft, crop dusters and helicopters that buzz the subdivision rooftops regularly. It's like the vaping scare, 5 people died and the world went nuts, but tens of thousands die from cigarettes and we've normalized that.

Reactions: old man mavic
What I've seen in these past few years of getting into this drone hobby is far too many people in the world are overly concerned with how I operate my 1 pound hunk of plastic, and not so much about the many ultra lights, Cessna aircraft, crop dusters and helicopters that buzz the subdivision rooftops regularly. It's like the vaping scare, 5 people died and the world went nuts, but tens of thousands die from cigarettes and we've normalized that.
Unfortunately there are stupid people in the world who are incapable of making good decisions, thats why we have onerous laws, to protect society from their bad decisions. ;)

Reactions: cderoche
Since no one answered the question: DJI advertises 2.4 miles for the Mavic Air. That would be with the drone at 400ft and flying over the ocean or other unobstructed area. Flying lower, any obstructions near your LOS between controller and drone, electrical interference, etc reduces that number to 1/8 to 1/2 the advertised value. Even metal roofs on buildings behind you can have an affect on distance! To judge how your results compare specifically to others requires knowing the specifics of your flight and environment. Flying over trees with wet vs dry leaves have an effect on communication distance so it can vary for the same location from one day to the next. All that being said, your results are probably typical for that model.
Of course, follow all the laws where you fly - which vary from country to country and in the US from state to state.

Reactions: cderoche
What if you rented a condo near the beach, and there was this really cool island 2 miles away...... but no way to get to it.
If you read what I said "I try to get as close to my subject as possible before taking off .." If you can only get 2 miles close to it then I guess you'll either be going over to the island on some sort of transport, or not flying. That example is an exception to the normal for most of us. There are always instances where we cannot takeoff/land right next to our subject (assuming filming a subject is the purpose of the flight), but for most of us (where applicable FAA/CAA/Whoever laws prevail) VLOS rules apply and we shouldn't be flying much more than 500m from our observation point. Unless of course you have some sort of FAA/CAA waiver for being outside of VLOS, if that is attainable.

Oh, and you never heard of a boat? ;)

Well... I will first say I am in a country with zero drone laws and therefore not confined to any distance regulations... having said that. This was basically my scenario from a few weeks back. A lighthouse off shore approximately 1.25 miles. I sent the Mavic Air out on its furthest trip to date. She worked beautifully. She worked better than my sphincter muscle which was on overtime!

Well... I will first say I am in a country with zero drone laws and therefore not confined to any distance regulations... having said that. This was basically my scenario from a few weeks back. A lighthouse off shore approximately 1.25 miles. I sent the Mavic Air out on its furthest trip to date. She worked beautifully. She worked better than my sphincter muscle which was on overtime!
Assuming I've interpreted your location correctly, you may wish to read up on the "Drone Laws" for Senegal; here's a link

Senegal Drone Laws

Reactions: The Editor
Wild, I stand corrected and learn something new everyday! Thanks.

If you read what I said "I try to get as close to my subject as possible before taking off .." If you can only get 2 miles close to it then I guess you'll either be going over to the island on some sort of transport, or not flying. That example is an exception to the normal for most of us. There are always instances where we cannot takeoff/land right next to our subject (assuming filming a subject is the purpose of the flight), but for most of us (where applicable FAA/CAA/Whoever laws prevail) VLOS rules apply and we shouldn't be flying much more than 500m from our observation point. Unless of course you have some sort of FAA/CAA waiver for being outside of VLOS, if that is attainable.

Oh, and you never heard of a boat? ;)

Why rent a boat when you have a quad with a camera? :p

If everyone here really stays in line of sight with their drone (which I truly don't believe) I'd be much better off spending my money on a quality DLSR with a zoom lens to be honest.

Reactions: o0motorhead0o
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
valter123