DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maximum wind conditions - Mavic

Flew with an average wind speed of 15MPH at the weekend, recording gusts of 23MPH, no issues with recording video, here is a link, which also includes a RTH segment and a precision land in faily choppy conditions.

Only issue I had on the return was I switched to sport mode for a bit (not in this vid.) and got some gimbal max movement errors.

Vid here if you're interested:

Great video aal the way from your home really impressive totally live it..

Also safe the way toy follow the river and the bight is perfect too regards Dror.

Thanks. That means that indeed these settings not only modify the maximum allowed speed but the engine performance too. Good to know. :)
and battery consumption. With OA off you get a little more flying time.

It has to do with pitch and current. I am not an engineer, but it seems too me that if you increase the pitch you must also increase the RPM to maintain level flight. Since sport mode depletes the battery quicker it implies that more current is flowing from the batteries.

Theres more than enough current and power available (can check that from the .dat file).
Its the simple fact DJI took the design decision to speed and pitch limit. Eventually you'll hit the limit for the flight modes, perfectly possible without a battery overcurrent issue and then you're at the mercy of the wind.

Well in theory, the max forward speed is 45mph in sport mode, so you should be able to make headway in anything less than that!

I would not like to test this and it wouldn't be much fun I wouldn't have thought! Drift should only occur if the wind speed exceeds the maximum for any given mode, the GPS & IMU should be able to resolve its position and motion and keep it in position.

Once the windspeed exceeds that then it will drift. Not sure how it would compensate this, would it apply higher and higher power settings to stay put or just point its self in the direction it needed to go to get back to its point in space but just helplessly drift until its forced to land. No idea, just take a sensible approach and explore it and your limits till you scare yourself!

A few have made a strange assumption that the RTH function somehow negates the laws of Physics and that it will always bring the Mavic home!
"Well in theory, the max forward speed is 45mph in sport mode, so you should be able to make headway in anything less than that!"
Also please keep in mind the battery charge at that time and you may get 'max power' warnings due to the ESC & Motors struggling to make any headway. Ideally flying back with the wind ( if possible ) could help and maintain a gradual controlled decent.
Cheers

Thanks for your answer and nice video. I just want to confirm that winds of about 15 mph doesn't give you problems with the picture tilting and drifting? I don't see any of those kind of problems in your video recording.
I didn’t see a bit of wind in the trees when you landed. I live in Amarillo Texas one of the 3 windiest cities in the nation. I wondered why there were no drone clubs when I moved here. Now I know. The city doesn’t have even one law regulating drones. You just fly under FAA rules & your good. Apparently I could fly right over the police station and they wouldn’t blink. I feel like I’m living in a great big truck stop.

Well in theory, the max forward speed is 45mph in sport mode, so you should be able to make headway in anything less than that!

I would not like to test this and it wouldn't be much fun I wouldn't have thought! Drift should only occur if the wind speed exceeds the maximum for any given mode, the GPS & IMU should be able to resolve its position and motion and keep it in position.

Once the windspeed exceeds that then it will drift. Not sure how it would compensate this, would it apply higher and higher power settings to stay put or just point its self in the direction it needed to go to get back to its point in space but just helplessly drift until its forced to land. No idea, just take a sensible approach and explore it and your limits till you scare yourself!

A few have made a strange assumption that the RTH function somehow negates the laws of Physics and that it will always bring the Mavic home!
It will keep fighting until it is forced to land

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851