DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maybe a dumb question ....but

MARK (LI)

Reactions
Can anyone recommend decent led lights to mount on Mini2 for night flying?....I am concerned about the weight...not in bringing it over the 250 gram threshold...but how it will effect the aerodynamics of the drone if mounted incorrectly and do something with the center of gravity

Reactions: MARK (LI)
It won't significantly affect your flight characteristics. It's even highly unlikely that you'd be able to tell the difference. A slight breeze would affect it much more. And even then, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

As I said in original post...not concerned with the weight restriction...even using prop guards or using batteries from a Mini1 put you over the 250g limit ...just concerned how the weight / mass of it would effect the way the drone handles...Registering with FAA as a recreational flyer costs 5 bucks and is not a big deal...I have a Phantom also ...so I have an FAA# ...which as a recreational flyer I can use on any drone that I have...I am still fairly new on the site, so I certainly do not want to step on anyone's toes...but unless you have checked into it...you can't believe how easy it is to get the FAA#....just fill in form...give credit card # and then print up the document they give you...it literally takes less than 10 minutes ...here is the link if interested FAADroneZone

I'm sure the Mini 2 weighs between 238 and 242 gms so you should be ok with the Cree standalone strobe fitted and still be under 250 gms.
I stand (actually I'm sitting) corrected. The specs say <249 g, the footnote says actual weight 242 g, but may vary.

As I said in original post...not concerned with the weight restriction...even using prop guards or using batteries from a Mini1 put you over the 250g limit ...just concerned how the weight / mass of it would effect the way the drone handles...Registering with FAA as a recreational flyer costs 5 bucks and is not a big deal...I have a Phantom also ...so I have an FAA# ...which as a recreational flyer I can use on any drone that I have...I am still fairly new on the site, so I certainly do not want to step on anyone's toes...but unless you have checked into it...you can't believe how easy it is to get the FAA#....just fill in form...give credit card # and then print up the document they give you...it literally takes less than 10 minutes ...here is the link if interested FAADroneZone
OOPS, misread your original post. I don't believe any of the strobe options you can buy would have a significant negative affect on the mini's handling.

Can anyone recommend decent led lights to mount on Mini2 for night flying?....I am concerned about the weight...not in bringing it over the 250 gram threshold...but how it will effect the aerodynamics of the drone if mounted incorrectly and do something with the center of gravity

Try these…clip off one protrusion on the light, apply supplied adhesive Velcro to both lights and port and starboard on the Mavic Mini 2…see pics. You have 3 colour options…white, red, and green. You also have two light modes… flashing and solid. They are easily applied and can be just as easily removed, stored in your fly bag, the MM2 props folded in and best of all…still under 250 grams. I have flown them many nights with great visibility. I also did a shake test when they were applied and they don’t come off…it is still a good thing to push and twist Velcro when applying so the hooks catch even more[emoji106]

Safe and Responsible flying

YVRGUY

Arc-II Firehouse are light, small, & very bright. Batteries last several hours. But for actual night flight, you can use smaller versions. Firehouse makes several different models and colors. For true navigation, you almost need 3 different colors to determine direction but if I were to choose one it would be the Arc-II in white.

Try these…clip off one protrusion on the light, apply supplied adhesive Velcro to both lights and port and starboard on the Mavic Mini 2…see pics. You have 3 colour options…white, red, and green. You also have two light modes… flashing and solid. They are easily applied and can be just as easily removed, stored in your fly bag, the MM2 props folded in and best of all…still under 250 grams. I have flown them many nights with great visibility. I also did a shake test when they were applied and they don’t come off…it is still a good thing to push and twist Velcro when applying so the hooks catch even more[emoji106]

Safe and Responsible flying

YVRGUY
You say to "try these"...and see "pics"...were you going to post a link?....I don't see "these"..or "pics"...thanks for responding..I hope you do have a link to something good

You say to "try these"...and see "pics"...were you going to post a link?....I don't see "these"..or "pics"...thanks for responding..I hope you do have a link to something good
6B09AE51-82FD-4113-89B5-BFE402BBE58B.jpeg52DAF412-8653-4B24-AC3C-B8E647DD62AD.jpeg16E252A5-8C90-4420-B334-303F50F9AA8A.jpegB985210E-CE2E-4958-8853-D59594F60DC7.jpeg
I hope this gets through to you…I’m an old drone pilot learning the forum ropes. With the rear props folded up the Velcro adhesives do not interfere with the collapse…in fact, they have a cushioning effect for transport. Lights are very bright and well built.

Thanks for your input and letting me attempt a better reply.
Safe flying

View attachment 130605View attachment 130606View attachment 130607View attachment 130608
I hope this gets through to you…I’m an old drone pilot learning the forum ropes. With the rear props folded up the Velcro adhesives do not interfere with the collapse…in fact, they have a cushioning effect for transport. Lights are very bright and well built.

Thanks for your input and letting me attempt a better reply.
Safe flying
Those are fine for some applications, but for the 3SM strobes for night flights under 107, the positioning isn't correct. They're supposed to be mounted on the top for best visibility for manned aviation.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suretybondsa