DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maybe drones aren’t for where I live. 🙄

I love flying in the wind. Comes from racing sailboats and having the most fun in high winds pushing equipment to the edge. I think our drones will take much more than people realize. Just don’t be stupid about it.
Oh they will for sure. I have had some serious fun playing in the wind and waves around the lake. I am probably more cautious about the wind than I really need to be. I am still pretty new to drones having flown for just a few months.

I’ll tell ya what though! Launching an S900 Hex in 15mph winds with 43mph gusts was super exciting. That thing was a beast in the wind until the A2 messed up, lost gps for some reason and before my novice self could figure out what to do it went crashing into a high tensile electric fence.

Mike

Hey, just checking… in case you don’t realize that the forecast you see will vary depending on the wind, gust, etc, values (for your drone) that you enter in settings.

Hey, just checking… in case you don’t realize that the forecast you see will vary depending on the wind, gust, etc, values (for your drone) that you enter in settings.
I don’t really pay attention to the fly or don’t fly part. I look at what it says and decide for myself. I do suppose it would be easier if I just used the settings though.

Mike

I don’t really pay attention to the fly or don’t fly part. I look at what it says and decide for myself. I do suppose it would be easier if I just used the settings though.

Mike
Only mentioned, because “deciding to fly” could change depending on what you are willing to accept for the specific drone, or the recommended limits if you follow manufacturer advice. The values in the app were just defaults when you installed it. For example, I can be out in gusty conditions with Mavic 3 but would never go with Mini 2.

Only mentioned, because “deciding to fly” could change depending on what you are willing to accept for the specific drone, or the recommended limits if you follow manufacturer advice. The values in the app were just defaults when you installed it. For example, I can be out in gusty conditions with Mavic 3 but would never go with Mini 2.
Exactly why I don’t bother with the fly or don’t fly. It varies depending on which drone I want to fly and what my goals are for the flight. Do I want to zig zag and play in the wind or do I want to take a nice video of the sunset over the lake?

Mike

Yuck! It's funny to notice that the further south you go, the later the sunrise and sunset is. Guess I never thought of that.

Also, yeah it's not terribly windy, but too **** cold for me, with the wind that there is.
If both the sunrise and sunset are later than some other place, that’s a function of east/west location (longitude), not north/south (latitude). In the winter, the further south you go the earlier the sunrise and the later the sunset. The opposite happens in summer, when the far northern areas (think Alaska) hardly have any night at all. Happens in both hemispheres, except that north/south are reversed, and summer and winter are as well.

Reactions: slozukimc and RH009
I have been soooooo tempted to try hang gliding!!!! I wanna be a bird. Lol

Mike
On my last day in Kitty Hawk I went to a hang gliding school to take my first flight. After the three people in front of me all flipped over due to wind, they canceled the rest of the day’s flights.

• Wow
Reactions: slozukimc
On my last day in Kitty Hawk I went to a hang gliding school to take my first flight. After the three people in front of me all flipped over due to wind, they canceled the rest of the day’s flights.
Well then. Maybe I’ll pass on that too. I think my son and I may go parasailing this summer. Our daughter Sam and our son Dakota went skydiving together a couple years ago and loved it. What a cool thing for siblings to do together!

Mike

Sometimes I hate drones. I jst went to the lake to fly my new Spry+. Flew one battery and had a blast skipping around the water and playingnin the wind. Launched on the second battery. Drone hovers at about 5 feet. I push forward on the right stick to go out across the water and it flies straight up at about mach 5. I pulled down on the left stick to bring it back and it started coming back to me and then just fell out of the sky and smashed in the dirt. What the actual bleepety bleepety bleep?

There’s a grand smashed into junk in one trip out. 😢🙀🤮

Mike

• Wow
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Sometimes I hate drones. I jst went to the lake to fly my new Spry+. Flew one battery and had a blast skipping around the water and playingnin the wind. Launched on the second battery. Drone hovers at about 5 feet. I push forward on the right stick to go out across the water and it flies straight up at about mach 5. I pulled down on the left stick to bring it back and it started coming back to me and then just fell out of the sky and smashed in the dirt. What the actual bleepety bleepety bleep?

There’s a grand smashed into junk in one trip out. 😢🙀🤮

Mike
Well I have it all torn apart. I can crazy glue the broken plastic back together. I found a broken wire to the camera that I am hoping is all that is wrong with that. I think I may have found the problem with it. I think it was trying to do a return to home because of messed up signal. The rear antenna has a rubber nipple it appears it should go into. It is in the chassis with other wires to the right rear motor. I see no other use for the rubber nipple as it is empty now. So I think what happened was weak signal triggered rth and when I held down on the stick for over 5 seconds it cut the motors and free fell to the ground. If it landed three feet to the left it would have splashed down in the water.

Mike

Well I have it all torn apart. I can crazy glue the broken plastic back together. I found a broken wire to the camera that I am hoping is all that is wrong with that. I think I may have found the problem with it. I think it was trying to do a return to home because of messed up signal. The rear antenna has a rubber nipple it appears it should go into. It is in the chassis with other wires to the right rear motor. I see no other use for the rubber nipple as it is empty now. So I think what happened was weak signal triggered rth and when I held down on the stick for over 5 seconds it cut the motors and free fell to the ground. If it landed three feet to the left it would have splashed down in the water.

Mike
Hope you get it fixed. In my early days I had a couple fall and smash on the ground becuase of ESC problems. Not a nice feeling watching your investment smash all over the ground.

Hope you get it fixed. In my early days I had a couple fall and smash on the ground becuase of ESC problems. Not a nice feeling watching your investment smash all over the ground.
Thanks man. I have had some pretty bad luck this week. I think I am going to take my time over the evening and glue it back together and go sit and watch tv with my wife. That seems safe.

Mike

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbtha7467