DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Maybe the word drone is the problem

Lone Wolf 58

Reactions
Maybe we should use another word for our little friend. I use UAVs allot myself. The word drone sounds like something out of Star Wars. And yes there is allot of negative press out there concerning drone. The restrictions for one. Most say drones. If I call it a UAV am i still restricted.( little humor here ha ha).

Maybe we should let the racers and outlaw hobbyists use the word drone and others more into photography use UAVs. Food for thought. I mean some of us like the idea of going 90 mph and pushing the envelope to the max. Some like to go slow and smell the roses. Truely two different styles. And I'm sure we could separate it more yet if we wanted.

This post is meant to be a little humorous and also to start a little discussion to see what people think. It's certainly not meant to cause arguments amongst the members. The hobby has grown fast and furious. Maybe to fast.

I've tried, just never took. Drone is how the masses identify with it, I suspect because that's what they see used on TV. Now it rolls off the tongue too easily to try and get folks to use a different term. When you see the new words and phrases being added to dictionaries though, what should we expect. LOL

Drone is an onomatopoeic word and meant so far only continues, low humming sound - rather not pleasant... ;) Hence connotation for this UAV's name may be negative.

We all got used to the word drone and I don't see anything strange in this word. If I say drone, everyone understands what I am talking about. This is just my opinion.

Reactions: Knight Hawk
Started to say that I am into Aerial Photography.
If I just say I have a Drone the first thing people remark on is spying on others.

This conversation has been hashed out many times on many forums over many years. Even if this thread were to grow to the point of being several pages long, the outcome would be the same... "Drone"

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adyo