DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

McGanksta's Master Thread

McGanksta

Reactions
So, I tend to get started on something, then ask a ton of questions about random aspects of the topic-at-large.
In the past I have consolidated most of my what amounts to thinking out loud and brainstorming into 1 thread. It has worked well in the Cigar and Homebrewing forums I am involved in, so I thought I would give it a go here as well.

The first topic is my flight book.
On my first adventure out, while I might not have done anything wrong, I could have done it a lot better. I am a creature of habit, and have not developed any for flying, to fix that I am making a flight book. It will consist of a Mission/flight check list, break down of the settings I am currently using across the app, procedures for getting the video/photo settings adjusted, and a list of "basic" shots to help me improve my video collection. The goal within 2 years is to be part 107 and have a side hustle going for all my real estate friends, so having a defined "shoot" will be helpful.

Part 1 is the Mission/Flight check list. The first draft is attached below, please look it over and help me refine it. It is sorta Mini 2 specific, just a tad, anyway.

Thanks in advance

McG

Attachments

• CHECK LIST.pdf
    299.1 KB · Views: 42
Reactions: RandyV
Gday, looks good mate, I am a bit of a nerd and find it easier to have smooth workflow through my documents, and to that end I have recreated your PDF in to a table based on with a couple of minor changes (added PIC - Pilot in Command, date, time and location).

I can't upload MS Word documents, so just change the file extension of the one that says to (change it to .docx from .pdf).

Cheers, Ben.

Attachments

• Check List Mcg.change me to a .docx extension.pdf
    16.5 KB · Views: 18
  • Check List Mcg.pdf
    122.3 KB · Views: 15
Gday, looks good mate, I am a bit of a nerd and find it easier to have smooth workflow through my documents, and to that end I have recreated your PDF in to a table based on with a couple of minor changes (added PIC - Pilot in Command, date, time and location).

I can't upload MS Word documents, so just change the file extension of the one that says to (change it to .docx from .pdf).

Cheers, Ben.
Thanks,
I will work some of the ideas into my work flow. The list I posted above is just a shell, so i could share it and get feedback just like you provided.

The final will be reformatted and printed on 5.5 x 8.5 card stock and put in a mini-binder.I am working on a few other aspects of this project such as a fillable flight log ( like many of the excel ones found on the web), a cover page that has all my FAA info, the "master" shot list for outdoor missions and one for Real Estate missions, a cheat sheet for my preferred settings, also a check list for checking exposure.

I am sure the more I fly, the more of this will become automatic and second nature, but until then...the Army in me says have a plan

Thanks again for all the help!

McG

Got out today for about 30 min, wanted to try stick mode 3, while I still have a lot to learn and master, mode 3 did feel better to my console gamer brain.

Was flying over some construction near a park that is being built in my neighborhood, and got a few "hey! check that out!" and that perked up my attitude in a good way.

Found out that the trees around me are not as tall as I estimated, but the big take away is that even though it was overcast my iPhone XR just not bright enough, I do have sun shade, but didn't use it today.

Got to keep working on my flight book this week.

McG

My brain is wired that way I guess

Ok, new question, working on the video set up section of the flight book. So I have an idea of hoe to select the correct ND filter if needed, and I have a decent idea on how to set the white balance, or at least let the Mini2 do it then lock it in.

What I am not sure of is if I am using a ND filter to I set white balance before or after selecting the filter?

Thanks in advance
McG

So, I tend to get started on something, then ask a ton of questions about random aspects of the topic-at-large.
In the past I have consolidated most of my what amounts to thinking out loud and brainstorming into 1 thread. It has worked well in the Cigar and Homebrewing forums I am involved in, so I thought I would give it a go here as well.

The first topic is my flight book.
On my first adventure out, while I might not have done anything wrong, I could have done it a lot better. I am a creature of habit, and have not developed any for flying, to fix that I am making a flight book. It will consist of a Mission/flight check list, break down of the settings I am currently using across the app, procedures for getting the video/photo settings adjusted, and a list of "basic" shots to help me improve my video collection. The goal within 2 years is to be part 107 and have a side hustle going for all my real estate friends, so having a defined "shoot" will be helpful.

Part 1 is the Mission/Flight check list. The first draft is attached below, please look it over and help me refine it. It is sorta Mini 2 specific, just a tad, anyway.

Thanks in advance

McG
Ok, new question, working on the video set up section of the flight book. So I have an idea of hoe to select the correct ND filter if needed, and I have a decent idea on how to set the white balance, or at least let the Mini2 do it then lock it in.

What I am not sure of is if I am using a ND filter to I set white balance before or after selecting the filter?

Thanks in advance
McG
Holy crap! I read your checklist and got a migraine. It's a good one, don't get me wrong. Everything there is legit. I guess I'd better make a copy and use it in the future.
I'm a nooB 2 and I don't want to make any costly or stupid mistakes.
You ask good questions and you're in the right place.
We both share the same goal.
RandyV

Holy crap! I read your checklist and got a migraine. It's a good one, don't get me wrong. Everything there is legit. I guess I'd better make a copy and use it in the future.
I'm a nooB 2 and I don't want to make any costly or stupid mistakes.
You ask good questions and you're in the right place.
We both share the same goal.
RandyV
When the "book" is complete I will post it for use and critique

Well a week in Cancun sure was a lot of fun.

Attached is the first part of the flight book I am working on. It covers preflight / post flight and the basic settings to ensure I don't shoot some footage in 1080 and some in 4K and should help my footage be more consistent.

Feedback is always welcome!

McGFB2.pngFB1.png

Reactions: Mrveronn and RandyV
I think I got my youtube channel sorted...just need some videos now

Well a week in Cancun sure was a lot of fun.

Attached is the first part of the flight book I am working on. It covers preflight / post flight and the basic settings to ensure I don't shoot some footage in 1080 and some in 4K and should help my footage be more consistent.

Feedback is always welcome!

McGView attachment 136873View attachment 136872
Learning as I go. Your list is encouraging, informative and I'll be following as I spread my wings...uh... props.
Excell spreadsheet here I come.
Thx.

Learning as I go. Your list is encouraging, informative and I'll be following as I spread my wings...uh... props.
Thx.
These are made in PowerPoint, if you want I can send you the file

Thx.
Mc: A while back you said you could send me a link to your Excel preflight check list.
I forgot to request it. (All check lists you have access to.) Could you send it to;
[email protected]? Thanks.

Reactions: McGanksta
Mc: A while back you said you could send me a link to your Excel preflight check list.
I forgot to request it. (All check lists you have access to.) Could you send it to;
[email protected]? Thanks.
as soon as I get home

Ok, going to bring back this thread, and use it to keep stuff updated.

I need to break out the Flight book, and update it, and add some simple test maneuvers as part of my warmup for now.
I am/have been looking for some little cards or graphics that show the stick inputs to perform different moves, I might have to make them myself...

Ordered some MAS Stealth props for the Mini2, to help with the lack of air at my native elevation. Also thinking that I may have to remove the skin, even though it only weights a few grams.

My new props arrived, but I can't find my spare DJI props or the screwdriver...so new screwdriver set will be here tomorrow. It has been super windy the last few days, so I am not missing any flying time.
There is a lot of information in the book pages in the post above, I need to put in some simple settings for auto mode for taking video.....

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661