DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Meaueing roof with litchi!

Chippuccio

Reactions
Of inwas tondly a waypoint mission using litchi ocer a roof, would it measure the rood sime sions as well at pitch? If not is a good app for soing this

???? Could you try that again! Can't understand what your saying! Maybe use your native language & Google translate!

Looks like some fat fingering without him paying attention. I think he means,

If I was to do a waypoint mission using litchi over a roof, would it measure the rood dimensions as well as pitch? If not, what is a good app for doing this?

I think I translated correctly. I can't really answer his question though. I use Litchi but I have never use it for that purpose. I think the answer is going to be no because you really can't do anything but capture images so you would need to have some point of reference or scale that you could measure off of. Now if you are just doing an estimate of roof size for pricing out a roofing job, I am sure you could guess from the images with a reference, but if you want to be exact, Litchi wouldn't do it for him I don't think unless there is something in there I am missing. It definitely won't give him pitch in any way.

Reactions: fly4fun
Looks like some fat fingering without him paying attention. I think he means,

If I was to do a waypoint mission using litchi over a roof, would it measure the rood dimensions as well as pitch? If not, what is a good app for doing this?

I think I translated correctly. I can't really answer his question though. I use Litchi but I have never use it for that purpose. I think the answer is going to be no because you really can't do anything but capture images so you would need to have some point of reference or scale that you could measure off of. Now if you are just doing an estimate of roof size for pricing out a roofing job, I am sure you could guess from the images with a reference, but if you want to be exact, Litchi wouldn't do it for him I don't think unless there is something in there I am missing. It definitely won't give him pitch in any way.
Yes. My bad. Hit send b4 editing

I dont think that litchi will calculate the roof dimensions , or its pitch...
To estimate dimensions, you could make a waypoint missions with the waypoint mode , on the map. It will give you aprox. lenghts...
For the pitch, its hard to handle...
Maybe can you record the height of your drone at the begining , positionning it 1meter above the botom of the roof, and then climb to the top of the roof, 1meter above.
Then, you record the top height , and the distance tour drone flaw.

And then, just do a little trigonometry to know the angle of the pitch. Try this:

X=pitch angle
Y=result of Height/distance

Tan(X)= height/distance
X= tan-1 (Y)

For example:
Your drone flaw 15m betwin the corner to the centre edge of the roof, and climbed 5m.
You'll have:
Tan(pitch)=5/15
Tan(pitch)=0.333
Pitch=Tan-1(0.333)
Pitch=around 18°

You'll have an estimation of the pitch angle ;)

Hope it will help you!?

Last edited:
Take a picture count the shingles for length and width of the roof apply your typical shingle dimensions and you will have a pretty close estimate if your roof area.
Mikemoose55

Reality though is you don't even need a drone to do that, just go to Google Earth or Google Maps and zoom down on the house and use the measure tool. I just did it for my house and I know it isn't exactly perfect but the dimensions were within 6" of actual. I don't know that you would get any closer using a drone unless you had some mapping software or used stereographic photography or Lidar.

In order to measure the roof you will need another app. There are many out there, probably some for free with limited functionality. We are a roofing company and we use Roofsnap. It is a monthly subscription. If will measure the roof, determine the slope, provide a detailed list all accessories and linear footages. You must know at least one dimension in order to scale the image and the image must be taken from approx 400 feet in order not to have parallax distortion. I believe you can try it for free and that may allow you to acquire the information you need.
Alternatively, you can use Google Earth and the measuring tool to get a pretty close idea of the plan view of the roof. In our field vs, satellite comparisons we have found it to be within six inches of accuracy. It will not provide the slope, so you will have to either guess at that and use the established ratios to add for that.

As mentioned above I've used RoofSnap, They have a 14 day free trial that could get you by if you are just doing 1 job. Here is a video:

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kia-6098.111