DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Metal interference - would you fly lower in here (see photo)?

rabidhyena

Reactions
Hi,
I was climbing up this gasometer today.
I was tempted to go down low from this shot but then panicked about metal and compass interference.
Do you think it would be safe? It's obviously a huge structure and so I wouldn't be that close to metal if I went down in the centre.1.jpg

Hi,
I was tempted to go down low from this shot but then panicked about metal and compass interference.
Do you think it would be safe? It's obviously a huge structure and so I wouldn't be that close to metal if I went down in the centre.View attachment 27008
Only one way to tell ;), it would be a pretty cool video. What is a gasometer (other than something that measures gasses)? However to answer your question I probably would not have descended inside.

Depending on how far in you go GPS signal may also be affected due to multipathing.

I'd probably have took it down a bit further.

This is why mavic needs a selectable atti mode.
Switching to atti mode is fine, it's the crazy stuff it does before that.

Would have made a great video ascending through it.

Reactions: Xtreme Drone Pilot
You could always try an approach from the sides to see what kind of effects you might see inside but with the ability to back away in more directions than straight up. Then you might have a better idea of what you'll be seeing down inside. It would make a very interesting 360-pano from inside...

Potentially a Faraday gage effect with signal

To be a Faraday cage, the size of the gaps between metal beams must be [substantially] less than the wavelength. Which for 2.4GHz is about 5 inches.

I think it should be safe-ish to descend inside right in the center. Successful or not, the video will be spectacular! :D

Yes, I went in closer on the edge. It seemed ok there.
Here is how close I got.
Last time I was here I managed to get a decent shot with me atop it. Makes for a much more interesting angle than a hand held shot.
I might go back and give it a go.
2.jpg
gasometer 1.jpg

I saw a video once where a guy simply got behind a metal truss bridge with a Mavic and the thing went berserk.

Just saying.

Yes, I went in closer on the edge. It seemed ok there.
Here is how close I got.
Last time I was here I managed to get a decent shot with me atop it. Makes for a much more interesting angle than a hand held shot.
I might go back and give it a go.
View attachment 27016
View attachment 27017
WTF!

If you have the balls to scale that then flying down into it surely won't be a problem.

Great pic, well done.

Hi,
Do you think it would be safe? It's obviously a huge structure and so I wouldn't be that close to metal if I went down in the centre.View attachment 27008
Make sure the RTH altitude is high enough to rise out if connection drops, maybe use tripod mode to prevent anything from happening too fast. Beautiful shot from outside.

I am too new and inexperienced to answer this, but just wondering if you program DJIGo4 to bring mavic to higher than top of this structure when signal is lost, won’t it then pick up gps and go to home location?

Edit: I just read the post above. Glad to see i was thinking same.

Cheers. Yes. I'll def do a drop in shot next time I'm in the area. Good point about the rth as it's the best part of 80m.
I also was so tempted to fly inside this one but I reckon that would have definitely ended in tears
29347f663cd98188625cab7f306ad594.jpg

Oh! You're not flying it from outside. That may be less of an issue since your antennas won't have metal between them and the MP. BTW... Where in the world do you live that you can just walk up a structure like that? Here in the U.S. if I did anything like that they'd send the black helicopters after me, confiscate my drone, and stick me someplace where the gaps between the bars are significantly less than that gas tank!

Reactions: ted35 and CaseyH

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa