DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Micro USB........

USB-A ports are intended for host devices like a PC. USB-B ports are intended for peripheral devices. The controller acts like a host device for data when you connect it to a phone. Thats probably why they use microUSB-A on the side. The A can still accept a B for charging and connecting to a PC for firmware update and log.
By the way, M2 charger has a male Micro-A connector.

I oreded this but not sure how its going to help with the connection between the AC charger and RC ?
The idea is that you plug in the micro-USB stub-end connector (the right-way-round of course), to the charging port on the side of the RC controller and just leave it there. That means you'll never need to remove that stub connector piece - you just put the magnetic end of the USB cable near it and it clicks together when you want to charge the controller ... Never putting it under strain, therefore - never damaging it and making you liable for $80 worth of repairs to put it right! HOWEVER - it does mean that you then have to use the USB 2.0 connector in the bottom of the controller to connect your RC controller to your phone/tablet - using a different USB cable, which will be the - or a shorter version of the - USB charging cable that came with your phone/tablet.

Reactions: JimP Florida
I ordered a similar cable to the one you posted and a couple IOS updates ago on my IphoneX and iPad Air 2 it stopped recognising it. Only works on my partners IPhone 6 now. Have been hoping it will be rectified with an update but no luck yet.
Well I got the link from thunderdrones who's been using them for 2 years on his TX's and thats where I got it and where mine will go so hopefully I will have the same lucks him . Strange it affects your phone and pad though .

Well I got the link from thunderdrones who's been using them for 2 years on his TX's and thats where I got it and where mine will go so hopefully I will have the same lucks him . Strange it affects your phone and pad though .
Yeah mine is obviously a cheaper version or something. I’m glad I found out because I was close to updating all my existing cables from the same supplier. Would be interested to know if you ever have a problem.
Such a good idea though for our remotes.

Reactions: dirkclod
You use what you plug your phone cord in if I understand what you are saying . You don't use that charger anymore to the TX.

The confusing thing here is that there are actually two Micro USB standards. Micro-A and Micro-B:
View attachment 52742
The more common standard used in earlier Android phones and tablets (before USB-C) is the Micro-B type (with the 45 degree corners). DJI have chosen the Micro-A standard for their controller and not only is their RC controller charging socket Micro-A, but the short cables supplied to go between the RC controller and Apple/Android phones, also have [male] Micro-A type USB plugs on them. While it is possible to put a Micro-B type plug into a Micro-A type socket both the right and wrong way (even though the wrong way will stress and break it!) - it is only possible to put a Micro-A plug into a Micro-A socket one-way-round. Maybe that's DJI's logic on this choice of hardware and why they don't accept warranty claims for this type of damage i.e. if you use the DJI supplied connector, then it won't break - but then, they don't supply a 'correct termination' charging cable for the controller - which should ideally be USB 2.0 plug to Micro USB type A plug ...
If you Google 'USB Micro type A' on Amazon, you'll see that the search engine ignores the difference and shows type B connectors, so it's not easy to even buy a Micro-A type charging cable.

Great explanation, Thanks. I would only add that my M2 Zoom charger has the B and my controller the A, very confusing.

Does the remote control have issues with breaking or is it customer abuse ?
OR........ piss poor engineering from DJI

what sort of issue are you having?

I've got three working remotes, and one not. It failed due to a dry solder joint on a power connector.

I've dissembled at least three and found that DJI is using multiple suppliers as the components vary; even in units purchased in the same year. Unlike automotive manufactures, who also use multiple suppliers, their components are the same. I found DJI remotes to contain differences in component "brands" but also differences in quality of construction.

It would be nice if DJI would recognize the quality issues are grounds for recall, revealing the serial numbers in question.

Mavic Pro Platinum

You use what you plug your phone cord in if I understand what you are saying . You don't use that charger anymore to the TX.
Sorry I don't understand, I have a I Phone Mini so I only use the Micro USB on the side for charging and I only charge with the DJI "brick" charger. My problem is I had the drone a month when it stopped charging the controller. I sent it back , they returned it fully charged but the 1st time I tried to charge it , same problem , no connectivity. I bought the magnetic cable recommended but don't see how it solves my problem. Thanks for your efforts to help me.

SUCSESS !!!
I figured it out, thanks to all the comments, the missing pice was pluging in the magnetic connector into the extra port in the brick !!!!!!!!, flying today !
The idea is that you plug in the micro-USB stub-end connector (the right-way-round of course), to the charging port on the side of the RC controller and just leave it there. That means you'll never need to remove that stub connector piece - you just put the magnetic end of the USB cable near it and it clicks together when you want to charge the controller ... Never putting it under strain, therefore - never damaging it and making you liable for $80 worth of repairs to put it right! HOWEVER - it does mean that you then have to use the USB 2.0 connector in the bottom of the controller to connect your RC controller to your phone/tablet - using a different USB cable, which will be the - or a shorter version of the - USB charging cable that came with your phone/tablet.

Thanks very much for this , missing piece was pluging in 'mag' cable to charging port on 'brick' charger. I use a I pad mini so I only use the controller micro for charging only. It's charging !!!!!! I get to fly today !Mavic 2 magnetic connector .jpg

Reactions: FoxhallGH
I've never had a problem with Micro USB in my life, either with DJI or across dozens of phones, tablets, and other micro-USB devices. If you are nice to the ports, they will easily last the life of the device. If you don't pay attention to orientation and/or yank cords out, they will fail. Just from my own observations, people are usually pretty rough with cords.

The female DJI port on the controller is rectangular, where most male micro USB chargers are trapezoidal - so just be a little extra careful when plugging in. The orientation is obvious if you take 2 seconds to look so it should never be going in the wrong way.
I've had loads of problem's with Samsung s8 usb type c it loses its lock and then always disconnects

I've had loads of problem's with Samsung s8 usb type c it loses its lock and then always disconnects

Could be your cable. Try an Anker Powerline II cable from Amazon - they are the highest quality I have found anywhere and way better than OEM. I have all USB-C devices now (Google Pixel 2XL, Pixel 3XL, iPad Pro 11") and have not had any issues yet.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tenakeetwo