DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military jets, a-10 warthog flyby captured with mp2

this is the closest I’ve ever flown a uas to manned aircraft:

I had B1 Bomber give me a scare when flying my old P3S. I was a mile outside controlled airspace next to an AF base and this bomber came whizzing through between 500' to 1000'. I was well under 400' but he was moving so fast I wasn't sure if I was low enough. Those B1's can shake the ground your standing on. I wasn't near as calm and cool as you were in your video.

One A10 @ Moody AFB just did a wheels up landing.

this is the closest I’ve ever flown a uas to manned aircraft:

That happened to me once on a shoot out in the middle of nowhere. Hundreds of miles from anything, this military jet goes screaming by. At the time my drone was on the ground. I asked the home owner (a real estate shoot) about the jet, and she casually says, "Oh yeah...they fly by here all the time." Well why didn't you tell ME, lady! Lesson learned.

D

I'd be interested to know if the Warthogs were 'electronically aware' they were under surveillance. I realise it could be dependent on what 'devices' the pilots had switched on.
I'm just curious, it was a nice tracking shot.

Round here (Peak District, Derbyshire, UK) the C130s do low speed, thus quiet, low level practicing by flying down the valleys. You can be standing on the hillside (hills not mountains) and certainly be level with them as they drift past.
In broad daylight it's impressive, in the night I wouldn't know they were there.

Regards.
Slightly off topic, but can you give location or Grid Ref of where you see the C130's flying? Thought they mostly used Mach Loop.
Regards

One time many years ago I was flying a Musketeer in to Townsville on finals. Was fairly close in when 2 Mirage fighters passed. On approach Mirages flew like bricks so there was no way they were going to stop once established on finals. Interesting!!

Reactions: pelagic_one
Slightly off topic, but can you give location or Grid Ref of where you see the C130's flying? Thought they mostly used Mach Loop.
Regards
Sure, I was around SK 23445 75963, the junction of the B6521 and the footpath going downhill to the B6001. They were flying down the valley of the River Derwent, North to South.
I'd be about 230 Metres ASL, the river at that point is about 120 Metres ASL, although clearly the planes were higher than that :)

I had to look up the 'Mach Loop'.
Clearly I'm not much of a Military Aircraft enthusiast, but the Derwent Valley does have a precedent for the sort of low level flying training I think I saw.
I understand that this low speed flying would not sit comfortably within areas used for high speed training, which is what internet search results tell me the Mach Loop is used for.

Regards.

How did you elevate the camera on the MP? Looks like quite an angle as they were flying almost overhead . . .

I was waiting to hear the "BRRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPPPPP" sound coming as they passed by. :D One of my favorite aircraft for certain. Where we live in central PA there's a small river with a two lane highway on each side probably 100-200' or so above the river at certain points. One day on a drive home from work I hear this plane coming and getting closer (sunroof was open) and all of a sudden two A-10's blast past level with traffic through the small river canyon. One of the coolest things I've ever seen. Not sure how the pilots pulled it off or if that kind of behavior is tracked but it was AWESOME.

Mint! A-10 have a great history behind!

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661