DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Military universal kill switch for drones

Actually, I don't think the military really hates us. But, if China's DJI were doing something uncool with all of their cameras, I could see how a kill switch might be in the county's best interest. This might make a great movie! Attack of the Killer Chinese Drones!

Are they able to remotely jam drone's GPS reception? If yes, that would force a drone into ATTI mode and it would cancel the waypoint mission.

Yes, the military (and civilians) are capable of jamming the signal of the drone.

Nothing really new here. They have used this kind of tech for decades on other threats. Just park a truck with a 1KW broadband jamming transmitter in the area and everything in the 2Ghz and 5Ghz frequencies range is rendered useless.

It's doubtful that the drone could even take off because even if the enemy is 2 miles away the interference levels will probabaly prevent the RC from establishing a proper connection.

Even If he did manage to take off and then used a planned litchi type mission it would be pretty much useless because the drones payload is so small that you would need to be able to autonomously hit a specific target which is pretty hard to do with a hobby drone much less do it with targets that may be moving.

This threat vs counter measure stuff was a huge factor in bankrupting the USSR. Tech that works today can be rendered useless when dealing with a country that has the resources to create proper counter measures.

Rob

Interesting read on the link below, in summary what looks like a DJI drone had a uncommanded landing while it was already in the air just before a bomb/missile test. i know and had many experiences where the media like to spin stories to make it sound better, but details and witch hunting (on the operators) aside. Do you think there is a universal kill signal programmed into DJI drones used by the military to disable drones on command? or is this over dramatized and probably easily explained occurrence such as the operator veering into a NFZ?

http://www.news.com.au/technology/gadgets/private-drone-forced-to-the-ground-before-explosion-at-woomera-weapons-testing-ground/news-story/78c11cad2eb8f525c56559b47e367a8b
Do they have this also for my 35Mhz and 2.4Ghz and my 5.8Ghz drones? Guess not :cool:

It was anecdotal, but I heard about an incident about 5 days ago local to me - there was a hobbyist flying a Mavic around at the River Mersey, then there was an (obviously unrelated) incident where two people ended up in the river. Search & Rescue and the police were on it within a few minutes, a whole bunch of police cars came down to where the guy was flying (because of the access, they didn't know he was fliming) and a few moments later the Mavic was doing it's own thing; landing. 100m away. Could have been a battery issue, but the pilot (I'm told by a colleague at work) was not in control of the drone a few moments after the police told him to bring it back. My vote is jammers.

Could have casually landed in the mersey.

Do they have this also for my 35Mhz and 2.4Ghz and my 5.8Ghz drones? Guess not :cool:

They can use a digital spectrum analyzer and automatically detect and then jam any frequency that is not on their authorized list.
I really doubt that this equipment is widely used but it is available.

Rob

right on!
Wifi jammer will probably work, those home made one are just gonna cripple your signal because they are only capable of 2.4ghz but those expensive ones that you can buy off Chinese websites for around $500 they will kill your connection with the drone, but then hopefully u have it set to return to home when lost signal

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e