DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1 combo or Mini2

I’d go for the newer model as it will be supported further into the future by DJI.

BTW.... Welcome to the forum from the deserts of Arizona! Enjoy.

If it will be your only purchase for the foreseeable future, I'd go for the combo with the original mini. One battery isn't enough.

But if you may add the batteries and charger in the future, the mini 2 could be an attractive proposition.

Hmm, just noticed you're in the UK, meaning your WiFi remote range is more limited than ours is here in FCC-land. That would tilt me more toward the Mini 2, but I'd still want to add an extra battery or two, and the two-way charger is a simple (but not particularly fast) way to charge three batteries overnight without swapping batteries and cables around.

After selling my old Mavic air I went for the mini2 from Amazon then got a spare battery when they were £50, a nice carry bag from ebay for £17 that holds everything. Just charge the battery through the mini2. ?

I have owned both the Mini and the Mini 2..... I would not even consider the original Mini at this point. The upgrades are significant..... lots more range, can handle lots more wind, no motor speed errors from bent props. longer flight time from upgraded batteries, more power from upgraded batteries and motors. upgraded camera., better control of flight and gimbal inside the DJI Fly app.

Really the only thing they have in common is that they look the same.

Reactions: Paul51
I own the Mini '1', UK spec, and as supplied it can normally fly to beyond the limit of my vision with out connection problems. I have had it out to 2km over the sea. Admittedly the occsync may give a more reliable connection in areas where there is interference but I haven't encountered significant signal loss to date. Maybe where I fly there is not too much.

Other considerations to bear in mind. Is your current phone compatible with both drones? CHECK DO NOT ASSUME. The wind resistance of the 2 is better, as might be the top speed, which could help in a blow away situation but I was satisfied enough with what the Mini '1' can do to buy a 2nd.
The Mini '1' combo may have deformed props "straight out of the box" so if you go for the 1 check that fairly quickly and read the appropriate threads. Dji sent me replacement props for mine after I contacted them.

Personally I would want more than one battery and an independent charger. I strongly dislike the idea of charging the battery via the drones own port but I am biased in this by the fragility of micro usb ports on phones etc. I do not know how 'robust' the USB c? of the Mini 2 connection is.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I have never found conclusive evidence is that Mavic Mini ever had problems with props straight from the delivery box/case.

Keep in mind DJI Mavic Mini batteries were (and I still think are) scarce and very highly priced. The new controller is probably better in every way. The combo included the dreaded cage propeller guard which actually promoted drone losses as many misunderstood it as a cure-all safety device which actually is very unsuitable for outdoor use and hampering of the drone performance.

I've never had a problem with the wind but you have to be aware... the power to lift ratio isn't great and you may fall short of your range if the wind blows it back more than it should (and you have to LAND immediately when prompted... not wait 15 warnings and then complain it disappeared).

The original Combo case is a very fine thing but since I don't really value the prop cage that much in your case considering the prices posted I'd go for the Mini 2.

Hi, shall I go for the Mini 1 Combo, £399 amzon or the mini2 normal one with 1 battery at £419?!
Get the Mini 2. The Mini 1 is old tech. Check the difference/improvements in my list below:
1. OcuSync 2.0 instead of Wi Fi.
2. Better wind resistance scale 5. 18 – 23 mph ( 29-37 Km/hr) due to new motors.
3. Digital zoom feature. Up to 4 times.
4. 31 minute battery.
5. Front arms don’t twist/flex as much as on the MM. Plastic covers instead of foam as on Mini 1.
6. 4K video 30 fps.
7. Better props (not so flexible).
8. Top speed up from 29 mph to 36 mph (46- 58 Km/hr).
9. High video bit rate increased from 40 mbps to 100 mbps which gives a better image on your phone/tablet.
10. USB C ports.
11. Quieter than MM.
12. Bigger remote battery 5200 mAh. Twice the size of MM remote giving 6 hrs of flight time.
13. Can use Smart controller with it.
14. Shoots photos in RAW now.
15. Still under 249 grams
16. 4K Hyperlapse
17. Battery smart discharge feature.
18. Customisable button.
19. Lipo battery not Lion like Mini 1
20. Better angle for flying into wind21. Lighter than Mini 1 at reported 242 grams.
22. Improved Quickshots. Dronie goes back further etc
23. Pano added
24. Front light (different colours available).
25. The remote works with the Mavic Air 2 as well.
26. Uses 3 satellite systems. The European Galileo is now available should give better GPS lock.
27. The yaw sensitivity can be adjusted in all 3 flight modes.

Reactions: shaneb50
I would also go with the mini 2 drone. It’s a very good drone with a lot of extras and better than the original mini., not saying the original mini isn’t great it’s also a good drone to have as well.[emoji106]
I should had waited until I was able to buy the mini 2 drone.

13. Can use Smart controller with it.
I agree with just about all your points..... but I believe this one is false. DJI has added support for Air 2 but not Mini 2.

DJI SMART CONTROLLER

The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the Mavic 2 or other aircraft equipped with OcuSync 2.0.[1] A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like SkyTalk and the DJI GO 4 App , DJI Fly App get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before.

*Compatible with the Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Enterprise Series, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.

Last edited:
I am staggered... I am not sure I would want a battery that I can't keep at 100%. Say I am on a week long hike on snow: I can't recharge it because it would be too cold inside the rucksack and after 5 days without use it would be around 72% and considering the cold temperatures not much different than having less than 50% available.

I don't like it.

The DJI Mini 2 Intelligent Flight Battery is a 7.7 V, 2250 mAh battery with smart charging and discharging
functionality.

2. Auto-Discharging Function: to prevent swelling, the battery automatically discharges to approx. 96%
of the battery level when it is idle for one day, and automatically discharges to approx. 72% of the
battery level when it is idle for five days. It is normal to feel moderate heat being emitted from the
battery during the discharging process.

4. Temperature Detection: To prevent damage, the battery only charges when the temperature is
between 5° and 40° C (4P and 1040 F). Charging stops automatically if the temperature of the
battery exceeds 50° C (1220 F) during the charging process.

I agree with just about all your points..... but I believe this one is false. DJI has added support for Air 2 but not Mini 2.

DJI SMART CONTROLLER

The DJI Smart Controller is designed to maximize your outdoor flying experience with the Mavic 2 or other aircraft equipped with OcuSync 2.0.[1] A 5.5-inch built-in screen displays clear, bright images, even under challenging conditions. Intuitive controls and pre-installed features like SkyTalk and the DJI GO 4 App , DJI Fly App get you up in the air quicker, clearer, and more conveniently than ever before.

*Compatible with the Mavic Air 2, Mavic 2 Zoom, Mavic 2 Pro and Mavic 2 Enterprise Series, Phantom 4 Pro V2.0.
You are correct. I will modify my list to read "expected to be compatible with the SC in future updates as it has OcuSync 2". If you spot anything else let me know as the list is intended to help would be pilots choose between the MM and the M2.

Hands down the Mini2 !!!!
I have and love my Mini. I would buy another if is was super cheap.
BUT, the Mini2 is a little tank in the sky, flies farther (with little to no interference) and is an absolute joy to fly.
Add extra batteries as you are able.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
User711