DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 1 upgrade to mini 2 worth it?

@Drony_Drone ,just do the same procedure ,with the mini 2 if you do decide to get it as you do now with your MM ,

I think the mini 3 is out for me though, with the DJI RC it’s £430 more, and that’s not including the FM kit.

Going back, I’m just wondering if I’d worth going to the mini 2 from the 1, with all the caveats above in discussions, or wait until maybe a mini 3 non pro comes along.

I know the mini 1 and 2 say 12MP stills, are they the exact same sensor, and are the stills better on the 2, or exactly the same?

Thanks
I'm not sure what the rules and regs in the UK are, but I suspect once you get over 250g everything changes. Personally I think the Air2s is a better value and overall a better drone. But DJI did pull off something by putting most of the Air2s features in the Mini 3.

Again, upgrading to the Mini 2 from the Mini 1 IS IMO definitely worth it. Aside from better imaging of the Mini 2, whatever DJI did, it made it more resistant to fly-aways in strong winds. When I bought my Mini 1 I found myself not flying 50% of the time I wanted because of the wind gusts. While the similarly small Mini 2 gets buffeted about in strong winds and less stable overall than the larger, heavier drones, it's wind resistance compared to the Mini 1 is far more robust. The Mini 2 is a very good value compared to other drones these day.

Reactions: Dbez1
I upgraded for the camera and stronger motors. I sold it to a friend $250. I thought that was a great price.
and it was a fly more kit.

Mini 1 to Mini 2 was definitely worth it to me on wind resistance alone since it's hard in Michigan to get less than 15mph winds for most of the year, especially along the coast. Though if you don't have a Mini 1 , the Mini SE would give that same physical performance with the Mini 1 internals, but makes little sense to go from a Mini 1 to an SE when the 1 to 2 isn't that great a jump at current pricing.

I still have my Mini 2, but I haven't hardly ever used it ever since I got an Air 2S. I mainly keep my Mini 2 around because I got the rain jacket on it, and would be nice sometimes if I want to send it up in some weather without risking my Air 2S (Which does also have a rain jacket just in case, but won't be my first choice for intentionally sending out in rainy weather).

Ah ok. Is this done automatically via the hub? Or do you have to do it manually?

I’ve normally kept my Mini 1 batteries at around half unless I know I’m using them in the next few days.

How long if they are fully charged, if they do this automatically, would it drop from 100 to 50%? Could you just not leave then out of the hub and they won’t discharge?

Has this really stopped you upgrading? Surely if you know you are going to fly you could charge an hour beforehand? They can’t discharge that quick can they?
The Mini 2 battery itself will discharge 4% in a day to prevent swelling via heat dissipation and to ~70% over five days, for better storage / battery life. It was a solution DJI added into the smart batteries in an update to batteries done in the aircraft.

Like any flying, it takes a bit of planning to ensure batteries and everything is ready but not an issue. I just plug in the hub the night before or morning I’m going out.

The Mini 2 battery itself will discharge 4% in a day to prevent swelling via heat dissipation and to ~70% over five days, for better storage / battery life
That’s good to know, a little boost before going out to get up to 100% is fine.

So they have to be in the hub or drone to do this discharge?

I’ve just seen the DJI safe battery bag, a good idea to store them inside the hub inside this bag?

It is yes, so that’s promising to hear. That’s exactly where I fly mostly.

I use UAV app and have threshold set to max wind 18mph. If you use app, or do you know, what max wind for mini 2 is? and have you flown in these winds and it been ok?
Those type of winds are no problem, whereas for the 1 it was an issue. It can take higher winds for sure, you'll have to use trial and error to find what you're comfortable with.

That’s good to know, a little boost before going out to get up to 100% is fine.

So they have to be in the hub or drone to do this discharge?

I’ve just seen the DJI safe battery bag, a good idea to store them inside the hub inside this bag?
They are built into the battery itself and happen in or out of the hub.

The “fire” bag is made more for travel safety of lipo batteries and required by some air carriers, etc. Risk is more pronounced with swelling and puncture increasing risk of short circuit, smoke and fire. Read up on lipo fires - crazy really.

Under normal conditions and following DJI recommendations, I would suggest the fire risk is low and need of the bag also low.

They are built into the battery itself and happen in or out of the hub.

The “fire” bag is made more for travel safety of lipo batteries and required by some air carriers, etc. Risk is more pronounced with swelling and puncture increasing risk of short circuit, smoke and fire. Read up on lipo fires - crazy really.

Under normal conditions and following DJI recommendations, I would suggest the fire risk is low and need of the bag also low.
The "Smart Batteries" themselves auto discharge, post #3 on this forum explains it in a little more detail. Mini 2 battery discharge

They don't have to be in the hub as they do so on their own, but may need to sit in the hub for a bit to wake them out of hibernation if it's been a long while since they were used.

Reactions: Drony_Drone
They don't have to be in the hub as they do so on their own, but may need to sit in the hub for a bit to wake them out of hibernation if it's been a long while since they were used.
That’s good to know thanks, I thought they had to be in hub. I normally leave all in ther anyway as easy to store.

I think I may if know not using for a few days, use powerbank function to get at least a little of out all 3 to be safe and “kickstart” the discharge so not sitting at 100%.

I would think the Mini 2 is MUCH more capable than the Mini (1).
For me the camera (and especially RAW) improvements were major, but there was a good list of other improvements earlier in this discussion.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the minor detail that the Mini 1 batteries work in the Mini 2 (although they do push it over 250g). I have two of the black batteries in rotation in my Mini 2 kit.

I would think the Mini 2 is MUCH more capable than the Mini (1).
For me the camera (and especially RAW) improvements were major, but there was a good list of other improvements earlier in this discussion.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned is the minor detail that the Mini 1 batteries work in the Mini 2 (although they do push it over 250g). I have two of the black batteries in rotation in my Mini 2 kit.
Thought the weight was the other way around, the mini 2 sans battery is lighter than the mini 1. Also while the mini 1 batteries will work in a mini 2 (but not vice versa), the mini 1 can't deliver as high a power load as the mini 2 batteries.

Mini 1 battery == 95g
Mini 2 battery == 81g

Sure the Mini 1 batteries probably don't have _quite_ as much effective capacity, but they still give me the best part of half an hour's flight time, and I mostly don't fuss too much about the choice.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jared69