DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Mini 2 and Litchi. Awesome!

I downloaded Litchi for the Mini 2 a couple of days ago and I have to say it is awesome! It takes the Mini 2 to an entirely new level. Here's some of my experience with the app.

As well as using it on my usual mobile device (that I use with the DJIFly app) I also downloaded it onto a 2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab A (a low spec 64 bit tablet that won't even open the DJIFly app), just to see if I could. Seeing as how Litchi downloaded on the Tab A, I decided to give it a try to see if it would actually run the app. I set up a mission on the Tab A and successfully flew it without a problem. So there may be no need to go out and buy a new high spec 64 bit device with Litchi. The video feed seems to be a little slower than my phone, but it is definitely still usable. My phone still gets warm using Litchi, so I'm not too sure that using something like a Tab A would be advisable for long flights.

The GPS Follow mode is amazing. It will lock onto your phone's GPS and follow you at a pre-determined height and distance, even if you are behind a building or hop into a car.

The Waypoint Missions are incredible! You can set one up in just a few seconds and you're off! You can set up a figure eight track with a Point Of Interest (POI) somewhere on the map and the drone will lock the camera to that spot if you want it too, during all or part of the flight. You can set multiple POIs and have the drone point to them one at a time at various waypoints. You can vary your altitude and your speed, as well as control the direction the drone is pointing manually. I've flown a heap of these and have had no problems.

You can also access unencrypted Litchi flight logs! (Android/data/com.aryuthere.visionplus/files/flightlogs/) So now you can graph out any information you want; for example, time plus voltage, or an XY plot of latitude and longitude, whatever you want. It shouldn't take long for someone to write up and share some code that will allow us to do our own off-line flight analysis. Hopefully they'll support Linux. ;-)

The RTH works like it should, although you'll get an error message if you're too close to the home point. The RTH beeping is a lot quieter using Litchi.

There is a signal strength display for the camera feed as well as one for the RC signal, so you'll know if your video is about to drop out but be also be able to check how much RC signal is getting to the drone, so video glitching isn't as scary as it used to be.

I've made a ton of flights and gone through multiple batteries and I have not had a single problem. So far...

The only thing I don't like about the app is the lack of an attitude indicator. I rely on the one on the DJIFly app to give me an idea of wind strength and direction. On the Litchi app, the only indication of wind strength is your speed, and unless you're using full stick then that isn't much use and if you're using a programmed speed then, again, you're not going to get any useful indication.

There is still a lot of the app I haven't tried yet, but what I have tried has worked as it is supposed to. The only thing you have to be very careful about is setting a safe altitude and know where any potential obstacles are, no matter what mode you are using. Double check EVERYTHING! TWICE!!!

You may export you mission, if you plan on Litchi Mission Hub, to Google Earth. In Google Earth Add a tour and you are able to view the virtual film. This is most useful for viewing any errors in the plan.

I downloaded Litchi for the Mini 2 a couple of days ago and I have to say it is awesome! It takes the Mini 2 to an entirely new level. Here's some of my experience with the app.

As well as using it on my usual mobile device (that I use with the DJIFly app) I also downloaded it onto a 2017 Samsung Galaxy Tab A (a low spec 64 bit tablet that won't even open the DJIFly app), just to see if I could. Seeing as how Litchi downloaded on the Tab A, I decided to give it a try to see if it would actually run the app. I set up a mission on the Tab A and successfully flew it without a problem. So there may be no need to go out and buy a new high spec 64 bit device with Litchi. The video feed seems to be a little slower than my phone, but it is definitely still usable. My phone still gets warm using Litchi, so I'm not too sure that using something like a Tab A would be advisable for long flights.

The GPS Follow mode is amazing. It will lock onto your phone's GPS and follow you at a pre-determined height and distance, even if you are behind a building or hop into a car.

The Waypoint Missions are incredible! You can set one up in just a few seconds and you're off! You can set up a figure eight track with a Point Of Interest (POI) somewhere on the map and the drone will lock the camera to that spot if you want it too, during all or part of the flight. You can set multiple POIs and have the drone point to them one at a time at various waypoints. You can vary your altitude and your speed, as well as control the direction the drone is pointing manually. I've flown a heap of these and have had no problems.

You can also access unencrypted Litchi flight logs! (Android/data/com.aryuthere.visionplus/files/flightlogs/) So now you can graph out any information you want; for example, time plus voltage, or an XY plot of latitude and longitude, whatever you want. It shouldn't take long for someone to write up and share some code that will allow us to do our own off-line flight analysis. Hopefully they'll support Linux. ;-)

The RTH works like it should, although you'll get an error message if you're too close to the home point. The RTH beeping is a lot quieter using Litchi.

There is a signal strength display for the camera feed as well as one for the RC signal, so you'll know if your video is about to drop out but be also be able to check how much RC signal is getting to the drone, so video glitching isn't as scary as it used to be.

I've made a ton of flights and gone through multiple batteries and I have not had a single problem. So far...

The only thing I don't like about the app is the lack of an attitude indicator. I rely on the one on the DJIFly app to give me an idea of wind strength and direction. On the Litchi app, the only indication of wind strength is your speed, and unless you're using full stick then that isn't much use and if you're using a programmed speed then, again, you're not going to get any useful indication.

There is still a lot of the app I haven't tried yet, but what I have tried has worked as it is supposed to. The only thing you have to be very careful about is setting a safe altitude and know where any potential obstacles are, no matter what mode you are using. Double check EVERYTHING! TWICE!!!
Can you please let me know which version of Litchi Mission you are using? I can only see the DJI Mavic Mini in "Setup -Change Mission Settings - VLM Setup - Drone Type".

I have used the same mission with this setting to succesfuly fly and record with both the DJI Mavic Mini and the DJI Mini 2. But I would have considered that for the sake of good order the Mini 2 would be one of the Drone Types that could be selected.

I have been using a program called CsvView to display the info from the Litchi flight logs. It works great on Linux and also works on Windows and Mac. If you're connected to the net it will even show a satellite map of your flight.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 2.png
    2.png
    614.7 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.png
    3.png
    55.1 KB · Views: 13
Looks very interesting. Is it possible to change the frequency in litchi? I'm using yagis with my CE Mini 2 and I always change the frequency to 2.4 ghz in DJI Fly.

If you want to take Litchi to a whole 'nother level, get yourself some cheap FPV goggles a longer cable and get a sample of what FPV pilots experience. For no particular reason other than curiosity (and lots of time on my hands) I just got through testing 4 sets of VR goggles and have a favorite set that are pretty cheap, comfortable and the most convenient to use of all that I've tested. $26 Shinecon VR It's kind of crazy that you can set Litchi, in the goggle mode to turn left or right, and the gimbal up and down as you turn your head. A little disconcerting at first, but fun at the same time.

I did a whole write-up of goggles and FPV programs for DJI camera drones, but didn't seem to get any traction, I needed the mental so just did it.

1652032955885.png

Reactions: EyesWideShut
Are you referring to the noise coming out of the remote itself? How much quieter?
The internal RC-N1 transducer can easily be silenced, or muffled, by drilling a hole in the case over the transducer and "putting a sock in it" using a cut off Q tip to apply pressure to the then exposed silver of the transducer. There's another thread where that was discussed, along with a YT video.

The internal RC-N1 transducer can easily be silenced, or muffled, by drilling a hole in the case over the transducer and "putting a sock in it" using a cut off Q tip to apply pressure to the then exposed silver of the transducer. There's another thread where that was discussed, along with a video.
Lost my patients and did this instead. Now it's adjustable.

Attachments

• 20220501_105839.jpg
    20220501_105839.jpg
    456.7 KB · Views: 23
Reactions: GadgetGuy
Lost my patients and did this instead. Now it's adjustable.
That's it! I like the simplicity of the screw. I wanted mine to be pressure sensitive, so I could silence it as needed during landing, where it would spring back after, to still remind me of leaving the controller on. My cut off, sharpened Q Tip fulfills that role, when covered with gaffers tape.

35DE3DE0-BC95-4C05-884A-A32BE9E06C55.jpeg

Just wish I knew exactly where it is on the new RC-Pro, as they moved it from where it was inside the Smart Controller. Best I can determine from the interior FCC photos, it is here:

B6B7B4D8-5C51-4A6C-A080-A0F3245CDB84.jpeg

Yes. Three photos at three different stops. I haven't changed any settings and the defaults look like 0/0 EV, +2/3 EV, -2/3 EV. I'll answer on your post as well.
Just tried it out for the first time with Litchi, but it took only one picture. Does this only work in RAW mode?

Btw can someone post the link to the topic on silencing the internal RC-N1 transducer? I looked for it, but probably not good enough ;)

Last edited:
Just tried it out for the first time with Litchi, but it took only one picture. Does this only work in RAW mode?

Btw can someone post the link to the topic on silencing the internal RC-N1 transducer? I looked for it, but probably not good enough ;)
Here's the placement. I'd reccomend NOT opening the controller unless your more mechanically inclined than I. The second photo is just for reference.

Attachments

• 032748q6m6bw6zvdvibbdv.jpg
    032748q6m6bw6zvdvibbdv.jpg
    482.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 040744iclsl0ec37gmw7lb.jpg
    040744iclsl0ec37gmw7lb.jpg
    615.9 KB · Views: 23
  • Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 01-50-16 Disable Beeping .png
    Screenshot 2022-01-21 at 01-50-16 Disable Beeping .png
    2.7 MB · Views: 22
Thanks for providing this information! When I see this, I doubt I will do this to my remote controller, risking to ruin it completely...

Location to drill the hole depicted in the photo below. Middle of the line of 4 green LED's and 10 mm below it. Shiny metal visible inside on the top of the speaker needs pressure applied to it, to either muffle or silence it. I used a Q tip, stick shaved to a point, and cut it off just above the plastic surface, covered with two layers of gaffers tape to create the right amount of tension. Press hard to completely silence it. Mild pressure from the tape keeps it at a reasonable volume.
57BA0B1B-E29F-47CB-BF4C-E407CA857894.jpeg

Thanks for the info! But I doubt I will try this, risking my RC... ;)
No risk at all. Just gently drill the hole in the case in the spot indicated, making sure not to drill any deeper than necessary to perforate the case, and look around inside. You'll see the shiny top of the transducer through the hole. Nothing else to destroy. Even if everything went horribly wrong, the RC-N1 is only $109, and most of us have multiples of it anyway! I also had to do the same to my $1200 RC Pro! Now that was not for the feint of heart, but was also still worth the risk! However, I had to wait 7 months to get a proper teardown to show the exact location of the RC Pro transducer inside the case!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots